Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The next two strategies involve stock options. The average American shouldn't deal with stock options, like puts and calls, it's a good way to lose your shirt. To deal in stock options you need to be wealthy because they are very high risk.

The deferred compensation plan they are referring to is not an IRA, it is "deferred" wages. I don't know of too many Americans who can afford to defer their monthly income, they live off of it.
Really ? Just how do you lose your shirt with buying puts or calls ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 03:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure that article slings around $200K. One can use stock as collateral for a loan. The amount is based on how much stock you have.

What if you bought 100 shares of AAPL when it plummeted to $97 back in 2009 ?
What is that worth today ? You don't want to sell it but you can certainly use that as collateral on a loan for let's say $20K or $30K easily.

That article uses high dollar figures to throw you off. Rather than look at the "using stock as collateral for a loan" you saw $200,000.00.

All those strategies can be used by middle class people who are not up to their eyeballs in CC debt.
Don't let the money figures thrown out by that article fool you.

You want to shuffle around gains from a home sale..buy the home in your self-directed IRA account.
It can be a $50K fixer upper that you turn around for a $100K sale. Those profits are in your IRA, safe from taxes until you withdraw them decades from now.
I don't think you can do that within an IRA. Most American's don't even own stocks.

How can you buy a house from an IRA account? That option was never offered to me when I bought my condo. I have never heard of that.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Really ? Just how do you lose your shirt with buying puts or calls ?
It is high risk, do you agree with me on that?

It involves a level of sophistication about the market that very few Americans have.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 PM

Ellemint, you posted that these were loopholes only available to the rich.
I pointed out that they are not.

Any with some savings can play the same game as the tools are available to everyone equally.
A self directed IRA does the same deferral as other tax deferred vehicles used by the rich.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Most of the income gains in the recovery from the recession have gone to the top 1 % of income earners. The following graph shows that 93 % of income gains were to the top 1 % of Americans. (The red bars indicate recessions.)

Whereas middle class incomes have declined:

What's going on?

America in 2012, as Told in Charts - NYTimes.com

Exactly. Obama is destroying the middle class like I've been telling these swooners who listen to him scream and howl how he is for them when in reality he wants two classes..........the upper and the workers. That is how communists like things. Everything for me and not for thee. Enjoy your utopia liberals.

Quote:
I don't think you can do that within an IRA.Most American's don't even own stocks.

How can you buy a house from an IRA account? That option was never offered to me when I bought my condo. I have never heard of that.
Here's my last post on this...

Look up self directed IRA and learn something.
Most Americans DO own stocks because that's what they have in their 401K accounts.

Educate yourself before coming here telling the rest of us that the rich are sucking your wallet dry.

Quote:
Ellemint, you posted that these were loopholes only available to the rich.
I pointed out that they are not.

Any with some savings can play the same game as the tools are available to everyone equally.
A self directed IRA does the same deferral as other tax deferred vehicles used by the rich.
I don't think banks are going to give your average middle-class American loans to play the tax games that are mentioned in that article. Most Americans are lucky just to qualify for a mortgage.

I believe I have a self-directed IRA within which I have selected the stocks or ETFs I have in it. I don't know how I could buy a house with it. Please explain that.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM

488 posts, read 412,752 times
Quote:
Absolutely. They just had to have the granite countertops and stainless steel appliances and media rooms along with his and her offices and each kid their own bedroom.

The 401K ? Bah...worry about funding that tomorrow.
Also, multiple properties bought with loans that were then sold or leased out with inflated rents to create substantive incomes going to pay for the loans and yet another round of loans taken out to repeat the cycle. All this done by small corporations and to a lesser degree personal incorporations. I can't count how many vacant condos I see built on credit and priced stupidly- if they were ever needed beyond proving a use for the loans and then being used as a deferment/loss, unless actually sold to somebody who bought into this modern monopoly game. All done to allay the loss of dirty manufacturing and a need to get people to go white-collar and join the service sector/supply-side financial economic theory. Globalists to their unwitting cores right down to nurturing cheap slave labor imported & supported with dim silliness like 'multiculturalism'...

All the while, more electronic contrivances, cars, vacays, ornate decorations/materials wanted merely to advertise desirous upward property values that exhibit a life'style' praised by Robin Leach.

Retirement? Before they turn 40! Hopefully, they will have enough properties left to fund it or enough people 'rich' enough to rent them!

Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Here's my last post on this...

Look up self directed IRA and learn something.
Most Americans DO own stocks because that's what they have in their 401K accounts.

Educate yourself before coming here telling the rest of us that the rich are sucking your wallet dry.

I researched buying property with a self-directed IRA, and you are right, you can do it, but it's complicated.
"You cannot take advantage of IRA investments until you retire. You can't use the fund to pay off your mortgage or live in or use the property you buy as an investment in the self-directed IRA."

How to Use a Self-Directed IRA to Buy Real Estate | Fox Business

Old 01-01-2013, 04:09 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Most of the income gains in the recovery from the recession have gone to the top 1 % of income earners. The following graph shows that 93 % of income gains were to the top 1 % of Americans. (The red bars indicate recessions.)

Whereas middle class incomes have declined:

What's going on?

[URL="http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/america-in-2012-as-told-in-charts/?hp"]America in 2012, as Told in Charts - NYTimes.com[/URL]
Maybe you should work hard, as aspire and try to be one of the top 1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies