Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, and I am not a "con"
Some people should just fall silent because they make all us progressives look bad
You just make it too eaasy
We Can't Make It Here Anymore - by James Mcmurtry - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Yes, and I hate Bush and think he is a war criminal just as Obama is. What is your point?

Honestly, is this "lack of reading comprehension day" on CD or something?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Cute response. Nope. Not LDS. Not even close.

I'm not insulting your mentality. Merely pointing out that you, as so many others, are completely ignorant as to the entire Church/tax exempt thing. An insult is if I was saying you were a bad person for it. Stating facts is just that, stating facts.

<snip>
Again, totally puzzled as to how you drew that conclusion bolded above, since never once on this thread did I address "the Church/tax exempt thing".

I just think that if you're going to respond to a post and use it for your soapbox, you should check more carefully to see that your response is appropriate to what was said and not make wild assumptions when you don't have all the information about the person to whom you are responding.

This is advice for YOUR benefit. If not, you just come across as a bag of hot air, and people will easily dismiss your posts.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Must chap your ass that churches are funded through voluntary donations ,while your church ( the state) must derive its funding by gun.
The voluntary donation is the "state" giving churches free access to police, fire department, roads (and plowing them!) without the church paying property taxes.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
If you don't like religion DON'T PRACTICE ONE. No one is forcing you to. If you don't like my religion than big deal, I don't care what you think...but the constant "well, you're a big dummy" cries from the minority of Atheists gets annoying after awhile.
Well I would take your advice but the only problem is that your religion is on a never ending crusade to establish itself in places where it doesn't belong. Therefore it is a constant fight to keep you people out of our publicly funded institutions and even our homes. The sooner you stop doing that the sooner we will stop coming up with ideas like this. Deal?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
and college should be free.
We can increase education spending as long as their is strict limits on what they are majoring in.

Quote:
I believe in cutting the Imperial Budget (I refuse to call it "defense") by at least 70%
The military budget needs to be looked at but you start with waste.

Quote:
I WILL SAY IT, all Oil Companies and Defense contractors should be run by their employees through the government...i.e, certain industries should be SOCIALIZED...
Since Chavez kicked out the private sector and nationalized the oil industry production has plummeted, safety of workers has decreased dramatically and environmental problems have exploded. There is very little investment back into the industry and it's basically crumbling under their feet. The people that know how to run these industries have left for better pastures and it's unlikely they will return under any circumstances.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
If, on the other hand, you think Churches should be able to throw their full political voice behind whatever causes they feel are just, then certainly tax them.
Churches and other organizations can advocate for issues which is where the dilemma starts. Someone preaching from the pulpit or their soapbox is not breaking the law as long as they stick to the issue. It only becomes an issue when they are supporting a specific candidate or party but as we all know the sides of these issues are party specific.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I have been to Catholic mass a dozen of times and it it sucked. I tried to take a nap, but they kept standing, kneeling, and then sitting. I couldn't get a nap in. Plus, they didn't give to the poor.

Still to this day, Social Security is one of the best federal government ever enacted; lifting millions out of poverty and raising their standards of living. Unfortunately, Bible thumpers who study Jesus want to cut Social Security and say **** you to the poor.

Then they turn around and tell you how Christian they are. Take a long walk off a short pier.
(A) Believe it or not, not all churches are run in the exact same way. Hard to believe I know...
(B) A lot of churches have flyers and bulletin boards which talk about what services they provide. Did you notice them?
(C) "Bible thumpers who study Jesus want to cut Social Security" Um, proof?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I have been to Catholic mass a dozen of times and it it sucked. I tried to take a nap, but they kept standing, kneeling, and then sitting. I couldn't get a nap in. Plus, they didn't give to the poor.

Still to this day, Social Security is one of the best federal government ever enacted; lifting millions out of poverty and raising their standards of living. Unfortunately, Bible thumpers who study Jesus want to cut Social Security and say **** you to the poor.

Then they turn around and tell you how Christian they are. Take a long walk off a short pier.
Another thing too is I was brought up Catholic and endured the same stuff you did and walked away feeling the same way as you apparently now feel. Yeah I can tell you stories about how much Catholic church sucked.

However, not all churches are run the same. Not all church going people treat you in the same manner. Not all priests / whatever are going to have the same philosophy.

Now if you are an atheist because you cannot accept whatever premise is pitched at you, that's OK with me, I understand. And I don't want to change anyone's point of view. However, I cannot believe just how broad a brush all churches are painted on this forum because of a few sit/stand/kneel sessions administered a couple of decades ago.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:

Honestly, is this "lack of reading comprehension day" on CD or something?
Reading Don't you know, Friday is Music appreciation Day!

If you have a cause - you will still have a cause without Uncle Sam

Obama taxman (beatles) Funny Video - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies