Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times

Advertisements

The correct term is silencer. The National Firearms Act which regulates these devices calls them silencers, the ATF which enforces these regulations calls them silencers on the registration form, and Hiram Maxim the inventor called them silencers. Suppressor is just a term that people made up because it sounds cool. And yes if you are shooting subsonic 22 ammo they really are silent. All you will hear is the movement of the bolt.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nati...silencers.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I support Second Amendment rights, but I can't imagine ANYONE thinks allowing people to put silencers on their guns is a good idea.

Or am I wrong
Let's start down this path correctly. Everything should be legal unless there is a good reason to make it illegal. Not the other way around.

So why would you not allow them?

We have mute buttons on car radios, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
The correct term is silencer. The National Firearms Act which regulates these devices calls them silencers, the ATF which enforces these regulations calls them silencers on the registration form, and Hiram Maxim the inventor called them silencers. Suppressor is just a term that people made up because it sounds cool. And yes if you are shooting subsonic 22 ammo they really are silent. All you will hear is the movement of the bolt.
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Silencers
You have to remember that the 1934 NFA was written by politicians, not firearms experts. The same people that call any black semi-auto an "assault weapon". I would trust an ATF website for some degree of expertise with regard to the law, but not technical features, function or terminology.

For a better discussion: http://counterstrikefox.freeservers.com/suppress.htm

Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
You still don't get it. The legal term is silencer therefore that is the only official term. That was the only term in existence when the NFA was enacted. I never heard the term suppressor until about 10 years ago when all the first person shooter video games became popular.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
In NH suppressors are very popular, but thank god I don't own one, and so don't have any need to explain it here on CD.

In NH anyway these are never called silencers... That sounds like some idea out of a Bonnie and Clyde movie to me. Something a hit man would have.

These are controlled items in NH too federal I believe and with a tax of $200.00 each, and a back ground check on top of that.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
You still don't get it. The legal term is silencer therefore that is the only official term. That was the only term in existence when the NFA was enacted. I never heard the term suppressor until about 10 years ago when all the first person shooter video games became popular.
Just read you and see you are in fact correct.. It just figures the ATF would use that term when the device doesn't silence anything. The ATF never did know much...

I hear they are good at selling sub machine guns to drug cartels in Mexico though.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
During an unexpected home invasion in the middle of the night?

Glass breaks.

Wake up. What was that?? Hear sound of window opening. Uh oh, bad guy.

Grab gun. Go put hearing protection on everyone. Get shot by bad guy before you finish.

Or grab silenced gun, go to source of noise, kill bad guy before he even know's you're there. OTOH, I'd rather my kids have a hearing impairment then be dead.
Many years ago I called an old fella on the phone, business call, and his poor dog was screaming in the background. I asked the old fella what was wrong and if he needed help. He said some time prior, he had shot and killed a home invader and the noise of the gunshot ruined his dog's hearing. From that time on, a ringing phone caused the dog great pain. Hence, when I called and his phone rang, the dog went nuts.

/just a little side story.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
I am completely and totally AGAINST an assault weapons ban. I believe it is worthless, counter productive, and only makes certain people in society "feel good."

However, nope, I could care less silencers are banned. They are illegal in California already. In fact, I have no problems with waiting periods, background checks, et al. I ONLY have a problem with bans. They are stupid and will not solve the problem.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Quote:
I built a silencer for my .22 Magnum rifle at the tender age of 14. It was made from about $30 worth of parts that I purchased at the local hardware store, and took about 2 hours to build and fit using a friend's machinist tools.
$30? WOW! You over spent by about $28!

FWIW a "silencer" only reduces the crack of the initial report...the bullets themselves make a crack when they go supersonic...unless it's a subsonic round like the .45ACP.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
in a lot of europeon countries with much more strenious gun laws than the USA its illegal to NOT have a suppressor on your weapon for hunting.
you can buy them over the counter much easier than buying a rifle.

keep in mind, if you're shooting supersonic ammo, you're getting a slight reduction in sound. you have to use sub-sonic ammo to get a big difference in sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies