Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,024,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If a high minimum wage is bad for job creation, then why does Vermont have such a low unemployment rate? I believe they have the third highest minimum wage in the country.
Because it's filled with extremely wealthy people, it's one of the smallest states in the country and it does a good job of keeping it's filthy labor force out of it's borders. Seriously, it's Vermont... the high minimum wage does nothing but pay for extra gasoline so that the "undesirables" can drive to their home states each night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,149,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are so gun ho to lower min wage then go find that country yourself.
I don't know anyone advocating to get rid of it.
Actually I am not gung-ho on finding a country that has lowered their minimum wage or gotten rid of it, I am saying you can't find that because I seriously doubt there is a country out there that has done that successfully. So with that in mind you need to understand that our minimum wage will continue to go up and should be going up at a much faster rate than it currently is.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM

33,518 posts, read 37,111,020 times
Big deal... The highest minimum wage in the US is lower than the lowest minimum in Canada, and as far as I'm concerned that is too low.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Big deal... The highest minimum wage in the US is lower than the lowest minimum in Canada, and as far as I'm concerned that is too low.
Bingo, and again Canada gets to laugh at the stupid Americans....we seriously should of done what you guys did instead of having a revolution and trying to get our own country sooner. You guys are way better off than we are and I am pretty sure Canadians look at the US the same way my country looks at Mexico.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,613,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
'Tis the season to go further into recession. Ho ho ho.

Ten states raised their minimum wage today. And unions, whose entire wage scales are oten based on minimum wage, got across-the-board increases too, as a result.

The article notes that this puts more money into the pockets of people with jobs.

It forgets to note that it takes money out of the pockets of people who create jobs.

How many workers will have their hours reduced involuntarily, or get fired, because of this?

-----------------------------------

Ten states raise minimum wage, rates up 10 to 35 cents/hour - Yahoo! News

Ten states raise minimum wage, rates up 10 to 35 cents/hour
And so you strongly support abolishing all minimum wages, so that employers can delight in discovering how close to ZERO Americans are willing to work for?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I am not gung-ho on finding a country that has lowered their minimum wage or gotten rid of it, I am saying you can't find that because I seriously doubt there is a country out there that has done that successfully. So with that in mind you need to understand that our minimum wage will continue to go up and should be going up at a much faster rate than it currently is.
Automation and globalization will have an effect on that.
Labor costs have to be looked at on a global scale in many jobs.

Service is not one of them though because of the physical presence requirement.
But you have a glut of workers so you are not going to get any complaints from them because they are easily replaced. And then you have your government programs to subsidize these min wage workers.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,431,385 times
I have good friends who live in Canada. However yes most of the provinces make over $10.00 an hour, but i know of none that make over 15.00 an hour as of last year, from what my friends told me.

My friend says that Canada has it's share of problems, what ever that means, never got into it.

But yes their lowest min wage, is betteer then our low min wage, much higher.

When cost of living goes up, so should min wage.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Automation and globalization will have an effect on that.
Labor costs have to be looked at on a global scale in many jobs.

Service is not one of them though because of the physical presence requirement.
But you have a glut of workers so you are not going to get any complaints from them because they are easily replaced. And then you have your government programs to subsidize these min wage workers.
So you support paying workers the same wages workers in India and China are making?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM

20,699 posts, read 19,340,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Price fixing is okay when the government does it lol
All price fixing comes from government, especially from property laws. We need wage inflation to bring down the high nominal debts left over from the fictitious demand of the housing bubble, since that is they refused to write them down to their real valuations.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you support paying workers the same wages workers in India and China are making?
Whether I support it or not makes no difference. That's just reality that I'm commenting on.
And no one is lowering min wage to $1.50/hour so why are you saying that ?
Our wages will stagnate while those in third world countries rise.
Once normalized then we will be a true global workforce.

Our standard of living will come down, there's no doubt about that. The government can only subsidize a middle class lifestyle for so long before something gives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies