Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,246,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
(and you were voting 17 yeas ago? I was under the impression you were a teenager or early 20s college student)
lol

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,990,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I was wondering ... this is about HIV/AIDS which has nothing to do with legalized same-sex marriage, and technically off-topic ... whatever happened to that Magic Johnson guy? What was he ... a basketball player I think?
He is the owner of a baseball team.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,554,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You did so write what Hammertime quoted you as saying, I read what you wrote and so did others. I do not see how you come up with the majority of HIV cases worldwide being with gay people. It is 75% worldwide among straight people. The majority of HIV in India is in straight people, the same in many countries. Stop trying to make this a gay disease. HIV is a human disease and any human can get it through unprotected sex, a blood transfusion; less likely now and through the use of intravenous drugs.
I never said that
go look at the stats and then talk.

in every single country men who have gay relations have disproportionate rates of AIDS. That is not up for debate I can give you stats for people who admit to having gay relations and people who got AIDS from gay relations and the later is always higher.

please explain to me why in Western Europe gays are slightly under 50% of all sexualy transmitted AIDS cases? The only way you can claim that AIDS in Western Europe is not uniquely connected to gays if you claim that gay men are almost half the population.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,855,411 times
Fair enough - the article neglected to mention absolute vs relative rates. Fair to say absolute rates of heterosexual transmission is higher but relative rates among gays is higher - ten fold does not surprise. Do not neglect the context of the article though!!

Relative rates for hiv transmission within homosexual populations are typically always going to be much higher than heterosexual rates. Historical, biological, sociological and psychological factors are present which places the typical homosexual at much greater risk of contracting the disease. I will not dismiss this, however we have to recognize that absolute numbers do count and that this is simply a not just a homosexual driven disease. It is not.

Btw you stated overall rate which is absolute and not relative so that led me astray....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post

Last edited by fusion2; 01-06-2013 at 01:19 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,092,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
lol
I didn't mean that to be funny or an attack. I just remember (perhaps incorrectly) Harrier posting within the last year or so about being an undergraduate college student considering law school and a career in law.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean that to be funny or an attack. I just remember (perhaps incorrectly) Harrier posting within the last year or so about being an undergraduate college student considering law school and a career in law.
You recalled correctly.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,092,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
There is Marriage with a definition and then there is a second context of marriage by definition, which includes same sex partners...but the definition includes and explains that this marriage is only "like" that of the 1st meaning in the word.

Therefore there is no civil right for two of the same sex to be included in a marriage unless, the agreement is properly itemized and includes the proper definition of a Gay Marriage, which is only like the known civil marriage, and therefore requires additional legislation in order to call attention to the agreement which is like, a Marriage, but not the same as the known Marriage. The laws which were specifically formed for Marriage in its full meaning. If the laws were formed to include SSM they would have said so and included agreements that were also like the known Marriage, but it did not.
Does this make a lick of sense to anybody?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,554,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The poster asked for one country where HIV rates were higher amongst heterosexuals than homosexuals and I provided sources for an entire region. The poster decided to dismiss this as unreported homosexuality by virtue of the posters feeling. Extraordinary - when it is convenient the percentage of homosexuals is dumbed down within a population, concomittantly, when it is convenient for the opposing argument, the percentage of homosexuals is inflated!
Listen you clearly don't understand what I said.
facts
1. acording to the stats you provided 1.4% of all sexual transmitted AIDS cases (both men and woman) in that region were from male gay relations.
2. 42% of all AIDS cases were female.
3. it stands to reason that a decent percentage of woman AIDS cases were sexually transmitted making the overall gay/male aids ratio higher.
4. even if they were all men people it's very likely that less then 1.4% of all men in Eastern Europe would self identify as having gay relations.
5. If 3 and/or 4 are true then "gays" are more likely to get AIDS then "straights" in Russia

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
It does to us whom aspire to practice the law in the interest of proctecting the actual rights of citizens.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,130,542 times
Quote:

I thought you said you were engaged in chemistry and enjoyed math.....but we don't hear a peep out of you with all these stats and CDC reference's....hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.