Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 AM

691 posts, read 773,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I didn't realize that $50,000 was rich. Since when is that rich?!

Exactly. I have not made that little since graduating from college in 1986.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
sure it is. my taxes are going up as of this morning.

screw obama and every one of the leg-humping parisites who reelected him.

NO THEY ARE NOT! You are now actually PAYING for the Social Security that you will be getting when you retire. It never made sense for people to not be contributing during their most productive working years.

If you don't want to pay the employee portion how about we reduce your benefit by 3% when you retire?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,248,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Eliminating the TEMPORARY payroll tax cut is NOT raising taxes.
You're absolutely right, and it slows the de-funding of Social Security funding.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwennie View Post
If people haven't been paying that 2% in payroll taxes for several years and then suddenly those cuts are going to expire, it IS a tax increase......people are going to be paying in taxes than they were. The liberal spin on this issue is mind-blowing.....
It is not liberal spin, it is a fact. Temporary programs are designed to expire, and to call the expiration a "tax hike" is misleading.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,620,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
You won't ***** when you start to collect SS.
Then you will be holding signs Keep your Gov. hands out of my SS and Medicare. LOL
UGH. SS and medicaid are different because we and our employers pay for it. There is a difference between taking from someone else and getting back what you paid in.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
The decrease should never have been given in the first place. Even the 2% for the first two years of his term I would give him, but not an extension after that. If anything, those with a 401K who either aren't contributing at all or aren't contributing enough can offset their taxable income by contributing more to their 401K. If you were running your budget under cost as it is, the only affect something like this has is that it will prevent you from keeping that extra two percent to do with it as you wish.

Where do you think we were banking the 2% windfall? I upped my 401K percentage and put the rest in my brokerage account and bought stocks.
I earned more on that money then SS would have gained in interest.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,620,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not liberal spin, it is a fact. Temporary programs are designed to expire, and to call the expiration a "tax hike" is misleading.
It is in the sense that obummer could have extended the expiration or made the cuts permanent. He chose not to so he chose for taxes to go up.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 AM

3,556 posts, read 3,753,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
Where do you think we were banking the 2% windfall? I upped my 401K percentage and put the rest in my brokerage account and bought stocks.
I earned more on that money then SS would have gained in interest.
Very nice. Similar strategy here. Gonna be a good day today in the market .

Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,530,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
The decrease should never have been given in the first place. Even the 2% for the first two years of his term I would give him, but not an extension after that. If anything, those with a 401K who either aren't contributing at all or aren't contributing enough can offset their taxable income by contributing more to their 401K. If you were running your budget under cost as it is, the only affect something like this has is that it will prevent you from keeping that extra two percent to do with it as you wish.
Heaven forbid that working people should actually have a few 100 more $ to do with as they wish. Even if they don't use it for rent, food, winter clothes, medicine, a child's education, crazy stuff like that, it would be selfish and downright Un-American to allow us to spend money on frills like [gulp !] a vacation, home renovations, a new computer, or other unnecessary crud.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,899,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The budget deal passed by the U.S. Senate today would raise taxes on 77.1 percent of U.S. households, mostly because of the expiration of a payroll tax cut, according to preliminary estimates from the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center in Washington. More than 80 percent of households with incomes between $50,000 and $200,000 would pay higher taxes. Among the households facing higher taxes, the average increase would be $1,635, the policy center said. A 2 percent payroll tax cut, enacted during the economic slowdown, is being allowed to expire as of yesterday."

Senate-Passed Deal Means Higher Tax on 77% of Households - Bloomberg

So, which of you "rich guys" in households making more than $50,000 are okay with your tax increase? You know you single guys are probably going to pay the most in this group.
Wait a second, when the payroll tax cut was put up, weren't you among those saying it would not help people as it was an insignificant gesture? Now you are saying it will hurt people to take it away? Please clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies