Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
People and politicians speak about the "economy" as some thing that must always be protected at all costs. The current economy is propped up with artificial spending on borrowed money. I would like to see ALL tax incentives and credits be eliminated and allow the real economy to emerge. An economy that is 100% based on the private sector activity and not government interference.

I am starting to get the feeling that the ECONOMY now trumps the CONSTITUTION.
The economy is used as a weapon in the political battle, and the citizens are the hostage. This fiscal cliff BS was a self inflicted wound, and should never have happened, but it happned because the politicians wanted it to happen, just like they created the debt celing "crises" last year. They create the crises, and then they present themselves as the solution to the crises. It is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am just going with your own words, and it sure sounds like you want to see the spending continue. I take it you are a Democrat. Yes?

This kind of tax cut is considered "spending". 30% if the 2009 stimulus was made up od these kinds of temporary tax breaks, and it was counted as "spending", and people have been complaining about it for three years, and now that the "spending" ends, the same people complain twice as loud. The truth is that people will complain no matter what is done.
Nope. Given the state of economy, and a choice between the government cutting its budget or forcing the average american family to cut theirs, I'd rather see the government cut their spending. What the government did is tell the average family to cut theirs WITHOUT cutting their own. They said "Do as I say NOT as I do.". If budget cuts are good for us, why aren't they good for the government? Trust me, they have way more fat to cut than the average american houshold.

However, the real issue is can the economy handle this now? We'll know by this time next year what the impact of taking $1600 times the number of middle class households out of the economy has on the economy.

All things considered, I don't think this was the time to let the cuts expire. The economy needs to be a little stronger.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
UGH. This isn't about MY budget except how it impacts the economy (how many families will make the same kinds of adjustments mine will?). I'm concerned with the impact on a struggling economy. If the economy were strong, I wouldn't care about a 2% tax increase. (Well, I would but I wouldn't have anything to complain about. Being conservative, I just like keeping what I earn.). If this kick starts inflation, we're in for round two of the recession and it will be MUCH MUCH worse than round 1.

It all depends on how businesses respond to having less business. If they start raising prices in response to selling less, it won't be just 2% we're adjusting to losing.

I said what my cuts will be, what will yours be
They almost ALWAYS pass any increases on to the consumer if they can. Every government regulation that costs them money is put into their...budget...and then passed on to you to make up the cost.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Leftist doublespeak.

Then how come Democrats claimed that cutting the payroll tax was a "tax cut?" Obama has been using this as a "pitch" since it was passed.
No, that is not true. It has been referred to as "payroll tax holiday", and just like all holidays, it will come to an end one day.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 AM

531 posts, read 501,688 times
Payroll tax chart

Basically the last few years, we've been enjoying the 1970 payroll tax rate.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
That FICA tax holiday was not a huge amount of money..less than $20/week.
You think people are going to be starving in the streets because they have $20 less per week now ?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
They almost ALWAYS pass any increases on to the consumer if they can. Every government regulation that costs them money is put into their...budget...and then passed on to you to make up the cost.
The question is will this kick off an inflationary economy? If it does, it will undo all the progress that has been made. I think people think the economy is stronger than it is. Unemployment is still high. The number of people who have been long term unemployed who are no longer counted and college grads who never found that first job are also high. We're at a point where the economy can go either way. This move pushes it the wrong way. I just hope it can handle it.

I'll make my personal adjustments just like every other family will. The question is how will this impact the economy which is sitting onthe edge a precipice right now? This one could go either way. It could stall the recovery or kick off inflation. A stall means things don't get better but they don't get worse. Inflation means they get MUCH, MUCH worse. I lived through the recession in the late 70's and never want to live in that kind of economy again.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Actually, he didn't. Bush did..... What obummer is choosing is the timing of the expiration of those cuts. It's not a good time for that.
Incorrect. It was Obama in 2010. See Tax Relief Act of 2010, which contained the "payroll tax holiday".

Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
No one wants to get rid of SS. It is more conservative to tax and spend than borrow and spend. The 2% payroll tax cut should never have been instituted.

The day it was put into effect I started putting an extra 2% in my 401K. I can reverse that now if I wish.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
The question is will this kick off an inflationarly economy? If it does, it will undo all the progress that has been made. I think people think the economy is stronger than it is. Unemployment is still high. The number of people who have been long term unemployed who are no longer counted is also high. We're at a point where the economy can go either way. This move pushes it the wrong way. I just hope it can handle it.

I'll make my personal adjustments just like every other family will. The question is how will this impact the economy?
Are you serious ? We're not talking hundreds or thousands of dollars here...it's more like $20/week.
FICA should be raised if anything so that the SS trust fund gets money for future generations.

You're talking about the SS trust fund here which is a direct benefit to Americans when they reach retirement age. I would like to see it raised to 8-9%. I think we need to also think ahead. With pensions gone and a pathetic savings rate, future generations will only have SS to rely on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies