Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,120,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I doubt it. You're talking about an elite group of people {politicians} and as long as they have their lobbyist friends, they could care less about average Americans.

Federal workers? yes, those people do need the raises they receive, they have living expenses just as ordinary everyday Americans have, they are the non-elites.

But we're discussing legislators here, aren't we clb10 ?
Oh, I'm aware that the political elites do not think the responsibility of their actions should apply to them, but it would be nice to see them actually suffer for their failures to live up to their oaths of office, instead of status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

531 posts, read 501,079 times
Fiscal cliff bill blocked this.

TITLE VIII—MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
Sec. 801. Strategic delivery systems.
Sec. 802. No cost of living adjustment in pay of members of congress.

Quote:
SEC. 802. NO COST OF LIVING ADJUSTMENT IN PAY OF MEMBERS OF CONGRESS.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no adjustment shall be made under section 601(a) of the Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946 (2 U.S.C. 31) (relating to cost of living adjustments for Members of Congress) during fiscal year 2013.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,120,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It looks like they are starting to run the government like a business...Rewarding failure at the top while the whole ship sinks.
Businesses fail when their leadership fails. If these politicians were each an NFL coach, with their record of failure, they would have been fired and forced to leave in disgrace years ago, instead they get re-elected.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM

15,038 posts, read 8,612,377 times
I think they should all be given free room and board ... with fine tailored orange jumpsuits, with their very own numbers printed across the shoulder area.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,447,030 times
I think Joe Biden certainly deserves a raise. By all accounts, after Obama and Boehner couldn't reach any agreement, the only way they finally avoided the ''fiscal cliff'' scenario, was through VP Biden wrangling with Mitch McConnell late into the night and pounding out a deal.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,234,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Oh, I'm aware that the political elites do not think the responsibility of their actions should apply to them, but it would be nice to see them actually suffer for their failures to live up to their oaths of office, instead of status quo.
People always say, well, just vote them out. Trouble is that the next one coming in is as bad as the one that's leaving.

People get into politics for money and personal gain, IMO, nothing more, or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I think Joe Biden certainly deserves a raise. By all accounts, after Obama and Boehner couldn't reach any agreement, the only way they finally avoided the ''fiscal cliff'' scenario, was through VP Biden wrangling with Mitch McConnell late into the night and pounding out a deal.
Well, we know why that is don't we?
Boehner dislikes Reid, McConnell dislikes Obama, McConnell dislikes Reid, Reid probably dislikes both GOP reps.. None of them could get along in a locked room together, they'd probably all kill each other.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,385,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Businesses fail when their leadership fails. If these politicians were each an NFL coach, with their record of failure, they would have been fired and forced to leave in disgrace years ago, instead they get re-elected.
Yes that doesn't change what I said. While Hostess was imploding the leadership was giving out millions in bonuses.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,447,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Well, we know why that is don't we?
Boehner dislikes Reid, McConnell dislikes Obama, McConnell dislikes Reid, Reid probably dislikes both GOP reps.. None of them could get along in a locked room together, they'd probably all kill each other.
I hear 'ya, and kinda reminds me of dealing with my ex-wife (though fortunately I still get along with my brother-in-law... lol)!

But I do appreciate 'ol ''foot-in-mouth'' Joe Biden, whose behind-the-scenes experience and age are too often under-rated, and IMO he actually represents the interests of blue-collar and middle-class folks way better than any of the GOP's ''working man'' posturing, or phony ''culture wars''.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,976,554 times
No absolutely not! If we're expected to tighten our belts, then they should as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies