Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,309,579 times

Advertisements

It is just one more example of how unsympathetic most Republicans are to the suffering of others. The Republicans refusual to give aid to these victims shouldn't surprise anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,025,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It is just one more example of how unsympathetic most Republicans are to the suffering of others. The Republicans refusual to give aid to these victims shouldn't surprise anybody.
The majority of republicans supported the bill. How can you blame the entire party here? Further, Chris Christie himself is a republican.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,514,480 times
The real issue appears to be the unrelated pork sausage within the bill. It's all over the net.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,366,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Money is extracted from me to pay for those things.
Do you think that people who live in arizona, kansas etc. should have to bear the burden to restore jersey?

Yes, after all the United States of America never meant united right?

Unbelievable!

Keep marginalizing, it's great to watch your party age, implode and die.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,903,218 times
Got flood insurance? Of course not. Why pay the premiums when we can just let the taxpayers pickup the bill.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,309,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The majority of republicans supported the bill. How can you blame the entire party here? Further, Chris Christie himself is a republican.
That is why I said most.

And whether or not most republicans supported it, the bill died because of Republicans. They should own up to how ruthless they are.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,025,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Got flood insurance? Of course not. Why pay the premiums when we can just let the taxpayers pickup the bill.
This is the Northeast we're talking about. They ARE the taxpayes.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM

9,129 posts, read 5,768,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Hmmmmmmm............

Somebody say pork.........

$56.8 million for charting the debris from last year's Japanese tsunami.
$100 million for the federal Head Start day care program
$188 million for new Amtrak lines (not repair, whole new lines).
$20 million for a nationwide "Water Resources Priorities Study".
$4 million for the Kennedy Space Center.

You forgot $600 million to the EPA for "climate change."

A "clean" bill wouldda passed.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM

800 posts, read 777,945 times
Should these states have gotten the money earlier...

Yes.

Absolutely.

However, for New York, New Jersey, and Chris Christie to sit up there and demean the other states of this country while asking for the country to foot the entire bill is incredibly arrogant. They damage was valued at 60 billion and they must get 60 billion because they are so generous and important to all us in smaller, hick fly over states.

For comparison...

Hurricane Katrina was a Category 5 hurricane that caused well over $100 billion, upwards of $120 billion (all this in a largely rural area outside of the city of New Orleans) by some estimates and the states of Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama etc. received only $60 billion combined.

Hurricane Sandy, was a category 2 (well that was in Jamaica) that caused about $60-$65 billion in damages. Yet these states sit here and demand that they should get $60 billion in federal aid

I don't recall Haley Barbour and Kathleen Blanco demanding that the entirety of the damage be paid by the federal government. They chose to act graciously thanking those who donated privately and appreciating the aid that did come. Albeit FEMA could've done a much better job in several respects.

I'm all for helping anyone whose gone through a disaster and I agree the aid should of been sent much sooner, but the amount and patronizing attitude of Christie really, really bothered me considering what has happened in the Gulf States through the numerous hurricanes, (Cat 4 and Cat 5) that have hit them.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,545,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Christie blasts Boehner on Sandy bill: "Shame on Congress" - CBS News

After taking a public shaming from Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, relented today to hold a vote this Friday for one of two aid packages aimed at providing relief for states hit by superstorm Sandy.

"There's only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims: The House majority and their speaker John Boehner," Christie told reporters in a press conference today. "Last night, my party was responsible for this."

"I called the speaker four times. He did not take my calls," he said. "All I can tell you was this was the speaker's decision -- his alone."

Christie decried the decision as "unprecedented," "outrageous," and politically motivated.

"I think, unfortunately, folks are putting politics ahead of their responsibilities," he said. "It's absolutely disgraceful... It's why the American people hate Congress."

Last night politics was placed before our oaths to serve our citizens. For me it was disappointing biland disgusting to watch," he said. "If the people of New Jersey feel betrayed today by those who did this in the House last night, then they have good company. I'm with them."
Christie is a greedy slob, Boehner did the right thing by denying that pork filled gob of crap. And also the 60 billion dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies