Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,025,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No one is eliminating your right to bear arms. However, as has been held to be Constitutional by the Supreme Court (the single arbiter of Constitutionality) that right may be subject to reasonable restriction. And if the legislature passes laws that make 30 round clips (for example) illegal, it does NOT subjugate your rights.

That is what I'm talking about. You still have the right to bear arms. However, just like you have no legal ability to own nuclear arms, you might not be be able to own weapons deemed assault rifles....

Now, again, if there are changes to the law-- which you certainly may challenge in court-- but until overturned by the court they are the law of the land. If you are, indeed, a responsible gun owner, the only thing you can do is follow the law until changes occur...
The bill that is to be introduced by Diane Feistein would indeed eliminate my right to bear arms. While I know it has zero chance of ever making it to law it just proves the true intent of the rabid left. If there ever comes a time when the leftist trash of this country manage to eliminate my god given right to defend my home and family I'll deal with that at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,128,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The bill that is to be introduced by Diane Feistein would indeed eliminate my right to bear arms. While I know it has zero chance of ever making it to law it just proves the true intent of the rabid left. If there ever comes a time when the leftist trash of this country manage to eliminate my god given right to defend my home and family I'll deal with that at that point.
God given? Lol. Don't atheists have rights? The Constitution was written by man, can be amended by man and is arbitrated by man. You really think a loving God wants you to have your own personal arsenal? Wow.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not running for office.

I care an awful lot about the 26 families who lost a loved one in Newtown about 20 miles from my house... The right seems to care about their 'right' to own an uzi...
You don't have a clue what an uzi is other than some buzz word you've heard on TV so please save your ignorance for someone else. Educate yourself, take the time to educate yourself and learn about what apparently scares you so much.

I have children the same age as those killed in Newton, I care a great deal about them and their families and I mourn with those who are dealing with this unexplainable tragedy. Don't even try to act as though my choice to own a self defense weapon somehow makes me less capable of feeling for those who lose lives due to crazy murders.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM

57,196 posts, read 26,154,591 times
Quote:
It does not eliminate your 2nd amendment right.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
God given? Lol. Don't atheists have rights? The Constitution was written by man, can be amended by man and is arbitrated by man. You really think a loving God wants you to have your own personal arsenal? Wow.
The US Constitution doesn't grant US Citizens the right to bear arms, it protects the right to bear arms. Again, education is key.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times
Quote:
I'm not running for office.

I care an awful lot about the 26 families who lost a loved one in Newtown about 20 miles from my house... The right seems to care about their 'right' to own an uzi...
Enlighten me with your wisdom then:

1, how will this bill soon to be introduced prevent another bad guy from killing children?
2, how will this bill help to build a safer society but reducing crime?
3, how will this bill give law abiding citizens more rights but less for the criminals?

I am listening.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Of course it would, that's why it'll never see the light of day and will only become the punchline in jokes against those who aspire to take rights away from those of us who have done nothing wrong.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Enlighten me with your wisdom then:

1, how will this bill soon to be introduced prevent another bad guy from killing children?
2, how will this bill help to build a safer society but reducing crime?
3, how will this bill give law abiding citizens more rights but less for the criminals?

I am listening.
Keep in mind that the OP lives in a state that already has an "assault weapon" ban.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,128,109 times
Quote:
You don't have a clue what an uzi is other than some buzz word you've heard on TV so please save your ignorance for someone else. Educate yourself, take the time to educate yourself and learn about what apparently scares you so much.

I have children the same age as those killed in Newton, I care a great deal about them and their families and I mourn with those who are dealing with this unexplainable tragedy. Don't even try to act as though my choice to own a self defense weapon somehow makes me less capable of feeling for those who lose lives due to crazy murders.
You haven't a clue what I know and what I don't. I lived in Israel for a year-- I am pretty familiar with Uzi's. I also have (previously) owned a handgun for self defense purposes and a hunting rifle. I am hardly anti-gun.

What scares me so much is people who can't connect the tragedy in Newtown and the need for common sense gun safety laws. I frankly don't care how you feel. You can feel any damned way you want. What you apparently lack, however, is logic.

Perhaps you'd sound more reasonable if you determined what my actual views, knowledge and background are instead of basing your assumptions on wild Limbaughesque caricatures.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Seriously? Why do you hate law abiding citizens and your own rights? Aren't we supposed to be a country of freedom? Why do you advocate limiting law abiding citizens right?

You want a gun control law? Support one that restrict criminals not law abiding citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies