Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Seems like a lot of people are upset that this anti-male legislation is blocked. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican, but I applaud the GOP for blocking this fraudulent act.
Here's a nice map of intimate partner homicides. Click on any one of them and you will see why the VAWA is needed. Applaud this, why don't you?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...,58.535156&z=4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Here's a nice map of intimate partner homicides. Click on any one of them and you will see why the VAWA is needed. Applaud this, why don't you?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...,58.535156&z=4
I still don't care for VAWA. I'm all for a Stop The Violence movement though.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM

507 posts, read 513,928 times
Quote:
"For the first time since 1994, the Violence Against Women Act is no more. It was approved by the Senate in April but now House GOP have blocked the bill.

Proponents of the law hope to revive the law in the new Congress, starting from scratch, but in the meantime, there will be far fewer resources available for state and local governments to combat domestic violence."

Why do the GOP hate women so much?

GOP Blocks Violence Against Women Act - The Daily Beast
I am not surprised at the party's choice to block the bill, is anyone else. I have never been blind to the fact that Democrats vs. Republicans tend to not be any better when it comes to women's rights, but it is choices like these that make me wonder if these men go home and think about their wives and children.

The law just isn't for us 'poor folks' it is to protect women all over the country. Why are they so dead set against protecting the very women that come from their homes as well. I will never understand and I do hope that someone with some sense pushes it through

Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I still don't care for VAWA. I'm all for a Stop The Violence movement though.
The reason we need a special Violence Against Women act though is because most sexual assaults are committed against females and it is still a vastly under-reported crime. And because most victims of intimate partner violence are women.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, an estimated 91% of the victims of rape and sexual assault are female and 9% are male. Nearly 99% of the offenders in single-victim incidents are male.

Rape or sexual assault was the violent crime least often reported to law enforcement (28%). And only 16 % of rapes are reported to the police.

This isn't a case of special provisions for women based on their sex, just to pander to them as a special interest group, its the case of addressing the reality that women are the victims of most sexual assaults and most intimate partner violence.

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/sexualassaultstatistics.pdf

Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Here's a nice map of intimate partner homicides. Click on any one of them and you will see why the VAWA is needed.
VAWA didn't stop any of them, did it?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
There is no law that will 100 % effectively stop all crime. But intimate partner violence has decreased since the act went into effect in 1992.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times
Quote:
By the same logic, we should revoke laws against murder and theft because these didn't stop any of those, either. The point of VAWA is to provide the victims of domestic violence resources to recover from and deal with the trauma of their abuse. What is astonishing is in the past the GOP has been an advocate of victim's rights. However, we've now seen this does not apply if the victim is a woman or if there are firearms involved.

It is sad to see the GOP has become the party of murderers, rapists, and wife beaters.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
There is no law that will 100 % effectively stop all crime. But intimate partner violence has decreased since the act went into effect in 1992.
Intimate partner violence has been going down--about equally for both male and female victims--since the 1970s. Attributing it to this particular piece of legislation is dubious.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
By the same logic, we should revoke laws against murder and theft because these didn't stop any of those, either.
There is some logic in improving enforcement of existing laws before enacting new ones.

Quote:
The point of VAWA is to provide the victims of domestic violence resources to recover from and deal with the trauma of their abuse. What is astonishing is in the past the GOP has been an advocate of victim's rights. However, we've now seen this does not apply if the victim is a woman or if there are firearms involved.
It's VAWA that is sex-specific in which victims it concerns itself with, not (in this case) the objectors to it.

Quote:
It is sad to see the GOP has become the party of murderers, rapists, and wife beaters.
I haven't voted for a Republican since 2000, but honestly...irresponsible hyperbole like that will send the pendulum swinging back in their direction in 2014 if it isn't kept in check, sure as hell. Hyper-political correctness drives people toward the GOP as fast as the talk radio loudmouths drive them away.

You might remember that the GOP got a cheap tactical advantage out of Willie Horton for one election cycle; but since then that's been generally admitted as a, pardon the expression, black mark on their record. This smacks of the same lack of integrity coming from the Dem side.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Intimate partner violence has been going down--about equally for both male and female victims--since the 1970s. Attributing it to this particular piece of legislation is dubious.
They're just trying to cover up the VAWA corruption and discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies