Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Fair point. What would you suggest? Sounds like you're arguing that guns do kill people-- or at least play an important role.

I'd love to hear your suggestions..
I suggest strict background checks on everyone purchasing a firearm, I also suggest we open the FBI background check system to civilians to allow a person like myself to legally sell a handgun to someone knowing they aren't a felon or illegal alien.

I suggest we pass federal CCW laws requiring extensive training classes and testing for anyone who wants to conceal carry a firearm. These should be shall issued CCW permits with normal exclusions for convicted felons, people with mental problems and soccer moms... just kidding.

I don't think a ban on 30 round mags is going to change anything. There are millions of them in civilian hands, you'll never confiscate them all and as soon as you ban them you'll create a black market for them. I own plenty 30 round pmags myself, I've taken advantage of the recent hype to make a few hundred bucks selling some to people who are whipped up in the hysteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I never said it would. I honestly don't think anything we do for or against guns will ever prevent all tragedies from happening. I do think we should invest more in our hospitals and mental illness treatment as well as not shaming people for any mental illness they might have.

But increasing gun safety training will prevents the scores of idiots who have accidentally shot themselves or others from happening.
I have no issues with mandatory gun training... I don't even have an issue with mandatory registration. But in the interest of preventing someone from going on a murderous rampage, I will never see the logic in gun control.

The guy is willing to commit a capital offense, I would be willing to bet he might be willing to conduct a bit of theft along the way.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
But nobody really cares what you think given your complete absence of logic and reason.
Wow. I guess when you run out of arguments that make sense, you move to ad hominim attacks. So much for your credibility.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I suggest strict background checks on everyone purchasing a firearm, I also suggest we open the FBI background check system to civilians to allow a person like myself to legally sell a handgun to someone knowing they aren't a felon or illegal alien.

I suggest we pass federal CCW laws requiring extensive training classes and testing for anyone who wants to conceal carry a firearm. These should be shall issued CCW permits with normal exclusions for convicted felons, people with mental problems and soccer moms... just kidding.

I don't think a ban on 30 round mags is going to change anything. There are millions of them in civilian hands, you'll never confiscate them all and as soon as you ban them you'll create a black market for them. I own plenty 30 round pmags myself, I've taken advantage of the recent hype to make a few hundred bucks selling some to people who are whipped up in the hysteria.
Good suggestions. I agree with most, if not all of them.

But why not go one step further? Why not ban the 30 round magazines? Can you name a feasible , legal scenario that requires the use of one?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Didn't you (about 5 minutes ago) make condescending judgments about me because I am not a gun expert?

I find your owning a high capacity magazine to be a public safety threat.

As an engineer, you should be able to answer this: For what legal and plausible scenario do you need the high capacity magazine?
How do my high capacity magazines threaten the public? Seriously, explain that to me. They're secure, they're inanimate metal boxes with a spring inside and they can't walk.

As an engineer I can think of a few scenarios that would cause me to want a 30 round mag, especially in a self defense situation against multiple assailants. In a situation like hurricane Katrina where society broke down in a matter of 24 hours and criminals ruled the streets while the police deserted the city it sure would have been nice to have the firepower needed to protect your home... instead what took place, the gov. showed up and took guns away from legal gun owners.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Grenades are illegal; there are nonetheless a number of contraband grenades in private hands, and some are sold from time to time on the black market. Even though very few grenades are used in the commission of crime, most sane people think it's a good idea for grenades to be illegal.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,196 times
Quote:

But why not go one step further? Why not ban the 30 round magazines? Can you name a feasible , legal scenario that requires the use of one?
Can you think of a feasible, legal scenario that requires car buffs from boring out their engine to 800 horsepower and it becoming a safety threat for anyone who shares the same roadway with said car?

See, this entire thing is a politically-motivated witch hunt.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Banning the 30 round mag simply isn't going to fix any problem and banning them won't eliminate them. If you magically were able to eliminate 30 round mags from existence and someone shot up a middle school down the street from your house using 10 round mags in a handgun what's the next step? Ban 10 round mags? Ban handguns?

It's the constant progression of the anti-gunners that I appose. Every anti-gun person I've ever met has one ultimate goal in common, the complete disarming of US citizens. That is a very real threat that I take seriously.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
especially in a self defense situation against multiple assailants.

What exactly is the self-defence situation where a high-capacity magazine would be useful? Dug in, behind sandbags, while the 2nd NVA Division tried to steal your DVD player?

This is exactly the sort of delusional fantasy we're talking about.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Grenades are illegal; there are nonetheless a number of contraband grenades in private hands, and some are sold from time to time on the black market. Even though very few grenades are used in the commission of crime, most sane people think it's a good idea for grenades to be illegal.
Pot is illegal too, a lot of people feel that it's a good idea for it to be illegal and they're willing to spend millions of our tax dollars searching it out...

That still doesn't stop the teenagers next door from smoking it in the back yard every weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies