Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I agree, guns should only be available to those that have had proper training and discipline, not just some average idiot that knows nothing about the dangers of a gun.
Here's a "common sense" proposal.

Registration of firearms leads to confiscation. It happened in Germany, it happened in the UK, it happened in Australia, and I'm sure there are many more examples.

So, instead of requiring guns to be registered, let's require owners to be registered. Anyone who has a current valid ownership license (which should be valid for life, unless they acquire a disqualifying condition such as being convicted of a felony) may purchase, own, possess, and use for lawful purposes any single-fire, bolt-action, revolver, pump-action, or semi-auto weapon with no waiting period.

To sell a weapon, you would be required to check the purchasers license and, via website or toll-free number, check that it's still valid. No transaction record need be kept. That makes it easier to sell to an unlicensed individual, but make that a severe crime and do enough sting operations and you'll keep that to a minimum.

Cat 2 licenses allows concealed carry anywhere in the country.

Cat 3 allows open carry anywhere in the country.

Cat 4 allows the possession of fully auto weapons.

Training is required for all levels as are background checks. The details could be worked out.

This way, however, the guns themselves are not registered, so should Uncle decide to confiscate them, "Well, I lost it in a boating accident" becomes viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post

Registration of firearms leads to confiscation. It happened in Germany, it happened in the UK, it happened in Australia, and I'm sure there are many more examples.

So, instead of requiring guns to be registered, let's require owners to be registered. Anyone who has a current valid ownership license (which should be valid for life, unless they acquire a disqualifying condition such as being convicted of a felony) may purchase, own, possess, and use for lawful purposes any single-fire, bolt-action, revolver, pump-action, or semi-auto weapon with no waiting period.

To sell a weapon, you would be required to check the purchasers license and, via website or toll-free number, check that it's still valid. No transaction record need be kept. That makes it easier to sell to an unlicensed individual, but make that a severe crime and do enough sting operations and you'll keep that to a minimum.

Training is required for all levels as are background checks. The details could be worked out.

This way, however, the guns themselves are not registered, so should Uncle decide to confiscate them, "Well, I lost it in a boating accident" becomes viable.
I would be fine with that seeing most people who get this license would probably get a gun thus still making it easy for the government to figure out who is a gun owner. Though I would keep fully automatic weapons out of the hands of people, there is no point to those guns being available to civilians.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I would be fine with that seeing most people who get this license would probably get a gun thus still making it easy for the government to figure out who is a gun owner.
I think if they tried to confiscate them, they'd find that virtually every firearm in the country had been lost in a tragic boating accident.

Quote:
Though I would keep fully automatic weapons out of the hands of people, there is no point to those guns being available to civilians.
Um, you realize they already are, right? It's a major PITA, and ridiculously expensive, but there are roughly 120,000 fully automatic weapons in the hands of civilians. Only 1 has been used in a crime since 1934.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
All I know is........ that I will die a free man, living by the motto, don't tread on me.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post

Ya, give me back my rights, for a fee.

You do know, more people are killed in the USA by drunk illegal aliens, that are not even suppose to be in this nation, than guns do.

I have a Thompson Machine gun, that is fully auto. It was handed down to me, by my Grand Dad.
Nothing is illegal, until you get caught by the control police.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,744 times
Quote:
I agree, guns should only be available to those that have had proper training and discipline, not just some average idiot that knows nothing about the dangers of a gun.

Surely you would support requiring training before someone can purchase a book, worship whatever invisible sky zombie of their liking, or simply voicing their opinion too right?

All of those are dangerous as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, give me back my rights, for a fee.
I get where you're coming from, if you've followed my posts on this issue, you know that. We all know there are certain people who have no business owning firearms. People who have committed violent crime in the past. People who hear voices in their head. 6-year olds. Wife beaters. I think everyone would agree with that.

So if you don't like my idea, what's yours? Or do you truly want ex-cons to be able to legally acquire a firearm?

Quote:
I have a Thompson Machine gun, that is fully auto. It was handed down to me, by my Grand Dad.
Nothing is illegal, until you get caught by the control police.
True. But if you don't have NFA paperwork, and try to fire that sucker at the range, you're risking a decade in the slammer.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I have been reading on here, recently, more and more threats, intimations and references to the civil war that is going to happen if stricter gun control is enforced in this country.

From my perspective this is complete insanity and people who hold this belief should have their head examined. But seriously, if you are delusional enough to believe a civil war will be fought if 30 round clips or assault weapons are iillegalized: Are you mentally stable enough to responsibly own a gun in the first place?

I think reasonable people agree, mentally unstable people shouldn't be allowed legal possession guns. Believing in a coming civil war is indicative of mental instability, plain and simple.
It's pretty pathetic, actually, threatening to take physical action over guns. This does not help their case, in fact it does the opposite.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM

266 posts, read 402,418 times
I bet if they had the internet the last civil war, it would look like this.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
It's pretty pathetic, actually, threatening to take physical action over guns. This does not help their case, in fact it does the opposite.
You don't think blatantly trampling on the Constitution without bothering to Amend it is a serious matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies