Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I believe the "prejudiced" comments you take exception to are the position held by most moral and God fearing people in this country.
Not anymore they're not. And the numbers that do will continue to fall until a point in the not to distant future, it's such a marginalized few that they'll find they don't have a voice any more.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm gay and I like it when social conservatives get outraged. It exposes them for the ninnies that they are.
I find it tiresome. Guess it's hard for me to believe there are this many hateful, ignorant people out there, let alone that most of them use God as their justification for that hate.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Let me ask my gay black friends what they think.
My "brother" is a gay black man, and has said himself that he faces more prejudice based on his sexual orientation than his race.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I've never heard it called SF gay area. You do realize 85% of San Francisco proper is straight, and it doesn't have the largest gay population in the country right? Just because it's notorious for being liberal and having a fair amount of gays in a localized area, doesn't make it mostly gay.
I have heard that one, but only from very immature people and not for a LONG time. It's not clever, regardless. And you're right, the city of San Francisco is overwhelmingly straight... just because we don't treat our gay residents like second-class citizens, that doesn't mean everyone here IS gay.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm gay and I like it when social conservatives get outraged. It exposes them for the ninnies that they are.
I'm straight, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
But SF is often regarded as the gay man's capital of the world.
Not really... if anything, I'd say West Hollywood and Palm Springs (among others) have us beat. Oh look, they do beat us! We're 9th on the list, according to City-Data; this just counts reported households/couples, but still seems fairly accurate overall: //www.city-data.com/top2/c17.html

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You have no right attacking her parents. Is that all you can do, Your mamma this your mamma that? Your god is not everyones god and some people have a god who loves all his creations, straight, gay whatever. Isn't god supposed to have created every animal and plant, every person?
Yep. And let me tell you, if he'd even THOUGHT of criticizing/attacking my parents to my face, I'd probably be facing criminal charges for my reaction. But he wouldn't dare, since it's always easier to be the tough guy behind a computer screen... and it's okay, because I'm the one who will have the last laugh in the end. Thankfully my parents aren't narrow-minded bigots, and have raised their children on the right side of history and civilization.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times
Quote:
The past 10 years or so, the american media has given way too much attention and controversy to homosexuality (gay marriage, gay bullying, gay teens committing suicide, gay celebrities, etc). Why?

Before we had the DADT policy in the military. Gays could serve, just not openly. I didn't see anything wrong with that. They could still serve.

Then Pres. Obama and Joe Biden publicly supported gay marriage. Why? There are more important issues for them to be concerned about. Such as the economy, the war in Afghanistan, the Fiscal Cliff, reducing the deficit, etc. It wasn't vital that they discuss gay marriage.

The past few years, gay marriage has become legal a few states at a time. Why? It's not important. Gays can be in relationships freely already. Nobody's stopping them from dating each other. Marriage of opposite genders serves a purpose and makes sense. Gays can't reproduce and have kids. Plus it's important for children to grow up with a mother (woman) and a father (man). Adopted and foster kids growing up with 2 fathers or 2 mothers doesn't make sense and is a little unnatural. The only reason gays want gay marriage is because they figure if they can get everyone to accept gay marriage, then they can get everyone to accept gays whole-heartedly. That's really what this whole gay marriage thing is about. They're just trying to force-feed acceptance of gays on everyone.

In the past comedians and ordinary folks could make gay jokes and it was all good (after all gay jokes are funny). Now you do it, and ppl are so outraged and demand an apology. People make it sound like homophobia is racism. It's not. When I was growing up, it was ok to be homophobic. It was ok to be uncomfortable around gays. After all, most ppl (straight ppl) don't want someone of the same sex hitting on them.

I've heard ppl say the "gay rights movement" is the civil rights movement of our time. Nothing could be further from the truth. I haven't heard or seen anything about gays being sprayed with firehoses, attacked by police dogs, beaten and killed by police, or being completely segregated from straight ppl in public or private life. The fact the ppl try to relate the struggle of gays today to the struggle of blacks in the 60's is laughable.

And ppl make it sound like if you're against gay that you become gay. No you can be a straight person who's confident in your sexuality and just not agree with homosexuality. In fact I respect gays as equal human beings who are free to do what they like. I just think all the gay controversy/sensitivity is a bit ridiculous.

Most ppl like the world straight. What bought on all this gay controversy and sensitivity?
Because why should bigots always get their way?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't say illegal. And obviously the way they would know the person they're interested in is straight is to ask first before making the advance. Duh!!
Gee, I sure wish all straight men would ask for permission before hitting on me... but until they do, it's hardly fair to expect that of gay people.

Most gay people have NO interest in hitting on straights anyway, which is one of the reasons gay clubs exist. That way it's a fairly sure bet, and they don't have to worry about backlash from a violent (often closeted) homophobe. Outside of the clubs, they just use their best instinct - or as a gay friend of mine has said, if they lock eyes when he gives them "that look," they're either gay or wouldn't mind trying. He's been with quite a few "straight" men, btw.

Quote:
And I'm not advocating discriminating against gays. I just don't want to hear about it in the media or in schools. That's all.
Oh, that's all? So you want to dictate how and when the subject can be mentioned, but don't see how that is discrimination? Unfortunately for you, the cat is now officially out of the bag, and will not be going back inside just to please the haters. Don't like its coverage in the media? Change the channel.

I'm not sure what you mean about the schools, though, since they aren't discussing this topic any more than it should be discussed. I've worked in schools as recently as 2010, in San Francisco no less, and don't recall it being a regular topic on the curriculum.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Let me ask my gay black friends what they think.
I don't know if we are friends but I can give you my perspective as a gay black male.

Don't ask don't tell is a no brainer. One doesn't enlist to serve their country thinking about sexual orientation. Saying gays shouldnt serve openly in military is wrong. With all due respect for traditional family, the government shouldn't regulate marriage. So yea I agree with most liberals on this issue.

OTOH, I personally agree that gays can't come together and create a traditional family like I was blessed to be part of. And there is such a difference between kids who come from traditional families and those who don't. The concept of gay couples is too new to show the outcome for children. We will have to wait another 20 years.

Gay civil rights is a totally different thing than black civil rights struggle of the 60's. With all due respect to the other posters friend who claimed that he faced more discrimination due to homophobia than racism is not the norm in the gay black community. There is a huge difference between homophobia and racism and they shouldn't be compared. Gays on average have higher incomes than Black and Latino Americans. Since moving to liberal Chicago, I've experienced more racism from gay white males than any other demographic. Too many other black males have the same type of stories that I have. No they don't need to use quotes from civil rights activist and claim part of their movement. Its totally different and yes it is a slap in the face to what we endured to get our rights and yes when many in that community are guilty of racism.

With that being said, I choose to leave the marriage thing to the hetero sexual community. They've do one a good job of messing thing up with marriage that many heterosexual don't even respect it for what it is. I will be happy with what I do. But its nice to know I have the option to get married if I choose.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 01-03-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies