Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 AM

230 posts, read 526,034 times

Advertisements

The past 10 years or so, the american media has given way too much attention and controversy to homosexuality (gay marriage, gay bullying, gay teens committing suicide, gay celebrities, etc). Why?

Before we had the DADT policy in the military. Gays could serve, just not openly. I didn't see anything wrong with that. They could still serve.

Then Pres. Obama and Joe Biden publicly supported gay marriage. Why? There are more important issues for them to be concerned about. Such as the economy, the war in Afghanistan, the Fiscal Cliff, reducing the deficit, etc. It wasn't vital that they discuss gay marriage.

The past few years, gay marriage has become legal a few states at a time. Why? It's not important. Gays can be in relationships freely already. Nobody's stopping them from dating each other. Marriage of opposite genders serves a purpose and makes sense. Gays can't reproduce and have kids. Plus it's important for children to grow up with a mother (woman) and a father (man). Adopted and foster kids growing up with 2 fathers or 2 mothers doesn't make sense and is a little unnatural. The only reason gays want gay marriage is because they figure if they can get everyone to accept gay marriage, then they can get everyone to accept gays whole-heartedly. That's really what this whole gay marriage thing is about. They're just trying to force-feed acceptance of gays on everyone.

In the past comedians and ordinary folks could make gay jokes and it was all good (after all gay jokes are funny). Now you do it, and ppl are so outraged and demand an apology. People make it sound like homophobia is racism. It's not. When I was growing up, it was ok to be homophobic. It was ok to be uncomfortable around gays. After all, most ppl (straight ppl) don't want someone of the same sex hitting on them.

I've heard ppl say the "gay rights movement" is the civil rights movement of our time. Nothing could be further from the truth. I haven't heard or seen anything about gays being sprayed with firehoses, attacked by police dogs, beaten and killed by police, or being completely segregated from straight ppl in public or private life. The fact the ppl try to relate the struggle of gays today to the struggle of blacks in the 60's is laughable.

And ppl make it sound like if you're against gay that you become gay. No you can be a straight person who's confident in your sexuality and just not agree with homosexuality. In fact I respect gays as equal human beings who are free to do what they like. I just think all the gay controversy/sensitivity is a bit ridiculous.

Most ppl like the world straight. What bought on all this gay controversy and sensitivity?

Last edited by ipod99; 01-03-2013 at 01:55 AM..

Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
What's with all the gay controversy lately?

The TGLP crowd is calling in their markers with the progressive liberals that's all....

Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,377 times
Controversy?

I don't know that I personally notice anything particularly controversial about homosexuality these days. There do remain certain factions within the U.S. that oppose legal and/or religious recognition of same-sex unions, but I honestly see them becoming more marginal all the time, especially when observing 2012 voting results in states like Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington. It would appear that Illinois and Hawaii may very well be next in line to assert extended rights for same-sex couples, and the SCOTUS (you never know with that bunch) will deliver an opinion on California's situation within the next six months.

It's all coming along, slowly but surely. We may not see any victories for same-sex marriage in the American South anytime soon (without federal interference, of course), but the population, along with the courts, is changing--state statutes and amendments to state constitutions (especially in the Western U.S.) are bound to change with new shifts in demographics/voting behavior.

It doesn't scare me.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Oh.....I don't know.

Why did blacks have a problem with riding in the back of the bus?

They still got to ride on the bus and they still got to their destination.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
The past 10 years or so, the american media has given way too much attention and controversy to homosexuality (gay marriage, gay bullying, gay teens committing suicide, gay celebrities, etc). Why?

Before we had the DADT policy in the military. Gays could serve, just not openly. I didn't see anything wrong with that. They could still serve.

Then Pres. Obama and Joe Biden publicly supported gay marriage. Why? There are more important issues for them to be concerned about. Such as the economy, the war in Afghanistan, the Fiscal Cliff, reducing the deficit, etc. It wasn't vital that they discuss gay marriage.

The past few years, gay marriage has become legal a few states at a time. Why? It's not important. Gays can be in relationships freely already. Nobody's stopping them from dating each other. Marriage of opposite genders serves a purpose and makes sense. Gays can't reproduce and have kids. Plus it's important for children to grow up with a mother (woman) and a father (man). Adopted and foster kids growing up with 2 fathers or 2 mothers doesn't make sense and is a little unnatural. The only reason gays want gay marriage is because they figure if they can get everyone to accept gay marriage, then they can get everyone to accept gays whole-heartedly. That's really what this whole gay marriage thing is about. They're just trying to force-feed acceptance of gays on everyone.

In the past comedians and ordinary folks could make gay jokes and it was all good (after all gay jokes are funny). Now you do it, and ppl are so outraged and demand an apology. People make it sound like homophobia is racism. It's not. When I was growing up, it was ok to be homophobic. It was ok to be uncomfortable around gays. After all, most ppl (straight ppl) don't want someone of the same sex hitting on them.

I've heard ppl say the "gay rights movement" is the civil rights movement of our time. Nothing could be further from the truth. I haven't heard or seen anything about gays being sprayed with firehoses, attacked by police dogs, beaten and killed by police, or being completely segregated from straight ppl in public or private life. The fact the ppl try to relate the struggle of gays today to the struggle of blacks in the 60's is laughable.

And ppl make it sound like if you're against gay that you become gay. No you can be a straight person who's confident in your sexuality and just not agree with homosexuality. In fact I respect gays as equal human beings who are free to do what they like. I just think all the gay controversy/sensitivity is a bit ridiculous.

Most ppl like the world straight. What bought on all this gay controversy and sensitivity?
Why? Just read your own post and the prejudiced and extremely misinformed sentiments you expressed. That's why.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Why? Just read your own post and the prejudiced and extremely misinformed sentiments you expressed. That's why.
I believe the "prejudiced" comments you take exception to are the position held by most moral and God fearing people in this country.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Default Hmmm

Your post is imploding in on itself. The reason why homosexuals want to be recognized as spouses is to grant the other partner beneficiary rights like a wife has with her husband. To have the right to carry one another on their health insurance since only your dependents and spouse can be claimed and since same sex relationships aren't recognized they cannot cover their partner. They cannot have visitation in the hospitals or have the right to make decisions on behalf of their partner if their partner is in a coma. Why can't two people who love each other show love to a child? How many children have you adopted of late and gotten out of the system and provided them with unconditional love? That womyn man household is declining and even moreso that type of household has exploited children and the system by allowing some not so good people with ill intentions horde children in order to collect government benefits all the while not providing adequate care to these young ones and even murdering, raping, subjecting them to hard labor, and abusing these kids. Homophobia makes people do crazy things, many womyn who acted differently have been raped by males with an ego problem thinking all those females need was a little d**k in them to get them back on the right path, or to show them where they're place is. A lot of men who acted to feminine for the taste of the rough and tough bounty roll male, have been bullied, beaten, murdered, and raped with the idea if they wanna be a,womyn, they will see what a womyn goes through. Maybe those reasons are reasons why.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Oh.....I don't know.

Why did blacks have a problem with riding in the back of the bus?

They still got to ride on the bus and they still got to their destination.

I'm Gay and don't really give a good hoot! I don't mind riding riding in the back of the bus, secured to the bumper or riding on the top of bus. All I want is nice view!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Heh. How many of you "moral, god-fearin'" types have been caught buggering children or having secret gay lovers over the years? Too many to count.

Keep your backwards morals and superstitions in your own home and out of mine.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 AM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Because they're no longer willing to sit back and accept inequalities & injustices, nor are their supporters? It's also just become more socially acceptable to be openly gay, so you will inevitably hear more about them as a result.

Quote:
I'm glad you didn't see anything wrong with that, but I imagine the gay men & women serving our nation would disagree. How would you feel if you put your life on the line for the sake of American freedoms, but were then told your spouse/partner couldn't hold your hand at a ceremonial dinner - or utilize your VA benefits, live with you on the base, etc? This wasn't just a matter of "talking about your private life," especially when even somebody ELSE mentioning your orientation was means for discharge.

And if anyone comes back with a snarky comment about TMI, you can't tell me straight soldiers (particularly the male ones) don't ever talk about their love lives & families.

Quote:
Many issues aren't necessarily vital, but hopefully our government can handle more than one thing at a time... even I can think about and address more than one issue, and I'm not an elected official.

Quote:
The past few years, gay marriage has become legal a few states at a time. Why? It's not important.
Not to YOU, maybe, but certainly important to those it affects... do you always have this selfish outlook on national issues?

Quote:
Gays can be in relationships freely already. Nobody's stopping them from dating each other.
No, but most states are stopping them from receiving the legal & financial benefits of marriage. Why else would it matter so much?

Quote:
Marriage of opposite genders serves a purpose and makes sense. Gays can't reproduce and have kids.
Neither can many straight couples, due to infertility, sterilization, and/or age. Do you think their marriages serve no purpose? Oh, and gay people can have kids, just not with their same-sex partner.

Quote:
Plus it's important for children to grow up with a mother (woman) and a father (man). Adopted and foster kids growing up with 2 fathers or 2 mothers doesn't make sense and is a little unnatural.
So I guess it's safe to assume you also think single parenting should be illegal, relatives shouldn't be allowed to raise & adopt their family members' children, step-families are unnatural, etc? And not all gay parents adopt, many have biological children either from past relationships or IVF/surrogacy.

Something being "unnatural" (a subjective term) doesn't make it bad, in fact most studies show gay parents & their children as doing better overall - especially compared to single parents, which make up a HUGE percentage of straight people's families these days.

Quote:
The only reason gays want gay marriage is because they figure if they can get everyone to accept gay marriage, then they can get everyone to accept gays whole-heartedly. That's really what this whole gay marriage thing is about. They're just trying to force-feed acceptance of gays on everyone.
Proof? This is just a typical conservative talking point, despite the numerous & clearly logical reasons (like the ones I gave above) to dispute this nonsense.

Quote:
In the past comedians and ordinary folks could make gay jokes and it was all good (after all gay jokes are funny). Now you do it, and ppl are so outraged and demand an apology. People make it sound like homophobia is racism. It's not. When I was growing up, it was ok to be homophobic. It was ok to be uncomfortable around gays.
Ahhhhh, the good ol' days when it was cool to be a bigot!

FYI: Comedians can and do still make gay jokes, in fact the gay comedians make the most of all. And I personally find them hilarious if they're done in HUMOR, as opposed to HATE. You probably don't know the difference, however, since hateful people rarely do.

Quote:
After all, most ppl (straight ppl) don't want someone of the same sex hitting on them.
I couldn't care less. I've been hit on by lesbians, and found it flattering even though I'm not interested. Are you a man? If so, I'll inform you that most women deal with this (attention from somebody we don't find attractive) on a regular basis... and to be perfectly honest, I'll take flirting from a lesbian over some skeezy guy any day of the week.

Quote:
Most ppl like the world straight.
I like the world colorful, like a rainbow.

Quote:
What bought on all this gay controversy and sensitivity?
I dunno, people like you saying "equality isn't important?" If somebody told me my freedoms weren't important, I'd get louder too!

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-03-2013 at 03:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies