Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,094 times

Advertisements

Personally I don't see any new laws. This congress can not pass help for hurricane sandy so I don't think Sandy hook is gong to hold much weight. The House is not going to pass gun laws. So if its DOA why does Feinstein bring up gun control that is so extreme? She must know that is DOA. Does she think there is a slim chance of passage? Or is it to sure up her home constituents? I don't think she is in any danger of not getting elected. So what is the deal? If she would have went for something like closing the no back ground checks, or maybe even a ban on mags over 10 rounds, which I don't agree with, it may have had a snow balls chance in hell. But this what she is proposing turns off most gun owners even the ones like me that thought they could work together to help the situation. It would ban all semi autos that were in any way capable of taking a box mag. That kills everything from the Glock to the old 1911A1. You would have to reg. them and who would pay for that? If gun owners have to pay for it you will have a huge fight on your hands next election.

If there are more shootings and if things turn neg. for the Republicans in the next two years you may see a congress that is Democrat dominated, but its two years, who knows what the issues will be at that time. It could be guns but it also could be the economy and some other threat. If the Jews attack Iran and oil jumps up ect. I just don't see any gun laws passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
She's going to have trouble getting some Democrat support let alone from Republicans.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default New gun laws?

This liberal does not see nor want any new gun laws being passed. If any were I believe they would only restrict law abiding people without providing any more security for anyone except the criminals and the crazies. In this case no action is preferable to the wrong action

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Personally I don't see any new laws. This congress can not pass help for hurricane sandy so I don't think Sandy hook is gong to hold much weight. The House is not going to pass gun laws. So if its DOA why does Feinstein bring up gun control that is so extreme? She must know that is DOA. Does she think there is a slim chance of passage? Or is it to sure up her home constituents? I don't think she is in any danger of not getting elected. So what is the deal? If she would have went for something like closing the no back ground checks, or maybe even a ban on mags over 10 rounds, which I don't agree with, it may have had a snow balls chance in hell. But this what she is proposing turns off most gun owners even the ones like me that thought they could work together to help the situation. It would ban all semi autos that were in any way capable of taking a box mag. That kills everything from the Glock to the old 1911A1. You would have to reg. them and who would pay for that? If gun owners have to pay for it you will have a huge fight on your hands next election.

If there are more shootings and if things turn neg. for the Republicans in the next two years you may see a congress that is Democrat dominated, but its two years, who knows what the issues will be at that time. It could be guns but it also could be the economy and some other threat. If the Jews attack Iran and oil jumps up ect. I just don't see any gun laws passing.
One of the reasons things might turn negative is the press.

They will ALWAYS over re[ort, and their biases are prominent in their reporting but we NEVER see stories like this in the national media:

"On Sunday December 17, 2012, 2 days after the CT shooting, a man went to a restaurant in San Antonio to kill his X-girlfriend. After he shot her, most of the people in the restaurant fled next door to a theater. The gunman followed them and entered the theater so he could shoot more people. He started shooting and people in the theater started running and screaming. It's like the Aurora, CO theater story plus a restaurant!

Now aren't you wondering why this isn't a lead story in the national media along with the school shooting?

There was an off duty county deputy at the theater. SHE pulled out her gun and shot the man 4 times before he had a chance to kill anyone. So since this story makes the point that the best thing to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun, the media is treating it like it never happened.

Only the local media covered it. The city is giving her a medal next week. Just thought you'd like to know."

Off-Duty Deputy Shoots Gunman at San Antonio Movie Theater before He can Shoot People in the Theater - YouTube

It is NOT only what the press says but, what they do NOT say.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Gun owners can take comfort in the knowledge that 95% of the legislation introduced in Congress never becomes law. Unlike most other legislation, gun control is not a partisan issue. Republicans, Democrats, and Independents alike both support and oppose gun control. I agree with both thecoalman and GregW. Sen. Feinstein's bill is not likely to pass the Senate, much less the House. It may not even reach the floor for a vote, dying in committee, depending upon Sen. Reid's priorities. If Sen. Reid does not think there is enough votes, he may not schedule a vote. And then there is the filibuster, if Sen. Feinstein's legislation is ever is brought to the floor for a vote.

The chances of Sen. Feinstein's bill passing the Senate is remote. The possibility of the bill passing the Senate and the House is too remote to even be a reasonable consideration. I have absolute confidence that both of Alaska's Senators (one being a Democrat) would vote against Sen. Feinstein's legislation. So for all you law-abiding gun owners out there, DO NOT PANIC! (yet)

However, it is a good opportunity to reflect upon how one would personally react should such a bill ever become law. Personally, California already turned me into a criminal once before, simply because of the firearms I had legally purchased in California a few years earlier. At the time I left California, the State of my birth and family, for Alaska where I am no longer a criminal. If the US follows suit and makes me into a criminal like California did, then I am out of options. I can take action, or I can wait to be arrested. Either act or react. I have already decided that it will be the former rather than the latter.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM

27 posts, read 52,074 times
I think the concern with proposed laws by the likes of Feinstein is that they are so encompassing (and no way could pass) that when they make concessions people will feel they are reasonable and wonder why the rest of us are still saying, "No... not one inch... nothing."

Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default Publicity

Ever hear of grandstanding? Ms. Feinstein recieved a lot of free publicity for that stunt.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This liberal does not see nor want any new gun laws being passed. If any were I believe they would only restrict law abiding people without providing any more security for anyone except the criminals and the crazies. In this case no action is preferable to the wrong action
I agree.

But more laws will make the idiots in DC look good to many voters.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachia View Post
I think the concern with proposed laws by the likes of Feinstein is that they are so encompassing (and no way could pass) that when they make concessions people will feel they are reasonable and wonder why the rest of us are still saying, "No... not one inch... nothing."
Maybe she and Obama are stirring the pot to help the economy. Gun sales are through the roof.

"Behind the boom, several gun shop owners and experts said, is a mix of fears — of being touched by violence and of tighter gun restrictions. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Ca.) has vowed to file a bill that would ban so-called assault weapons and ammunition magazines, strips and drums that can accept more than 10 rounds."

Georgia gun sales and permit applications soar post-Newtown | www.ajc.com

Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I tend to agree. Laws made in emotional response to a horrific episode such as Sandy Hook (or 9-11) usually turn out to be bad laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies