Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The deal also paves the way for extending Soc Sec for a long time. Adjust the payroll tax limit to pick back up on those earning $250-$400K..... hmmmm?
What do you mean by payroll tax limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The working class pays higher state and local tax rates than the middle class and the rich.
Already proven false MANY times on this forum. Here's the chart showing tax share and income share of each earning quintile:
Local, State, and Federal Tax Shares compared to Income Shares

If the working class were paying higher state and local tax rates than the middle class and the rich, the percentage of the state and local taxes they pay would be comparatively higher than than the percentage the middle class and the rich pay respective of their income shares. It isn't.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Thanks to loopholes, many of them don't pay the same percentage as middle income people.
There is no such thing as a'loophole". They aey ar regulations that are part of the tax laws. if you don't like them, get them eliminated.

I'll bet YOU avail yourself to some "loopholes"!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
HowTF are they open to anyone? HowTF does a burger flipper who can't buy a house claim deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes? HowTF does an uninsured burger flipper enjoy tax-free health insurance? HowTF does a burger flipper living paycheck to paycheck make a 401(k) or IRA contribution?
HowTF does someone choose flipping burgers as a career and expect their long term financial outlook to be rosy?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
I agree. We need to close loopholes and change the laws so that interest, dividends and capital gains are taxed at the SAME rate as our paychecks are and do away with the cap on Social Security. The rich are far from paying their fair share.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I agree. We need to close loopholes and change the laws so that interest, dividends and capital gains are taxed at the SAME rate as our paychecks are and do away with the cap on Social Security. The rich are far from paying their fair share.
I guess you don't do any investing.

Interest, most dividends and short term cap gains ARE taxed at the same rate as your paycheck.
How's about you understand how it works before you post your opinion ?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I agree. We need to close loopholes and change the laws so that interest, dividends and capital gains are taxed at the SAME rate as our paychecks are...
That will totally screw anyone who sells a home that has increased in value over several years, and anyone with a pension or a 401k/IRA. Are you sure you really want to screw the middle class and everyone else that way just to give more money to a government that wastes more and more of it every day?

Quote:
...and do away with the cap on Social Security.
That will force the removal of the benefits cap. That will put Social Security in even more of a financial bind than it's in now.
Quote:
The rich are far from paying their fair share.
No. For some inexplicable reason, you've swallowed manipulative propaganda BS hook, line, and sinker.

PLEASE inform yourself. No need to continue being an uninformed tool when the IRS publishes actual tax data.

2010 Average Effective Federal Income Tax Rates:
Top 1%: 23.39%
Top 25-50%: 6.01%
Latest Federal Income Tax Data

Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
THE RICH, please get out of this country. You are not welcome. Please go and bring the jobs with you. Just go. We, the people don't need your stinky jobs. We got the government, that owns a printing press. THEY will print all we need.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,847 times
Quote:
There is no need to show off your infantile understanding of economics.

What you propose would crush the stock market, thereby causing economic harm to untold millions of people.

As I told another poster, it would help you tremendously if you have a basic understanding of economics before you choose to voice your opinion on it.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Now I understand why some think the rich pay NO taxes.
They have no clue about what is taxed beyond your paycheck.

Interest and some dividends have always been taxed at the same rate as your paycheck.
It's right there on your 1040..unless you folks make so little and have zero assets and use 1040-EZ.

When you do your cap gains/losses there's another form and it's broken into short term and long term to figure out cap gains tax or loss.
And for losses..you cannot write the entire loss off in one year..you're limited to a certain amount. How is that fair ?
Government wants to tax me on my profits right away but won't let me take my losses right away ?

And then of course you have to do that AMT pile of worksheets to see of you're "rich" and owe even more to Uncle Sam than the normal tax calculations say.

Stop reading the disinformation that you are being fed by MSM blogs that have no clue what they are even talking about since their numbers don't even add up sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies