Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

It's called the "Active Financing Exception" and the White House endorsed (some have said "insisted on") its inclusion into the fiscal cliff deal.

Quote:
1. A $9 billion “sop for Wall Street banks and major multinationals”

Check out Section 322 of the bill. “Extension of the Active Financing Exception to Subpart F.” Sounds dull, right? Not quite.

As Dan Eggen has reported, this provision, first created in 1997, allows manufacturers and banks to defer taxes when they engage in a special type of financial transactions known as “active financing.” The break now costs $9 billion per year, and critics claim it encourages firms to create jobs overseas.

But it’s a top lobbying priority for companies like GE and JP Morgan, who say that it helps them compete abroad, and it will get extended another year.

Now, there are a ton of other costly business tax breaks in the deal, too, from tax credits for R&D to bonus depreciation (which studies have found are ineffective at stimulating the economy). But the $9 billion active financing credit was arguably the hardest-fought.

Quote:
Under the provision, financial services firms and manufacturers can defer U.S. taxes on overseas income from a type of financial transaction known as "active financing." Boosters say the two-year exemption helps level the playing field with foreign competitors by ensuring that U.S. corporations aren't taxed twice.
'Active financing' exemption for some businesses to cost taxpayers $9 billion

So, let me get this straight. Liberals spend the past 12 years crying over Big Money, Big Profits, Big Corporations, Offshore Accounts, One Percenters, etc. and yet they stay quiet when their President agrees to allow the Big Corporations to continue to off shore profits to avoid paying taxes?

Liberals, it's time to do some explaining lest you appear to be hypocrits of the highest order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's called the "Active Financing Exception" and the White House endorsed it's (some have said "insisted") inclusion into the fiscal cliff deal.

'Active financing' exemption for some businesses to cost taxpayers $9 billion

So, let me get this straight. Liberals spend the past 12 years crying over Big Money, Big Profits, Big Corporations, Offshore Accounts, One Percenters, etc. and yet they stay quiet when their President agrees to allow the Big Corporations to continue to off shore profits to avoid paying taxes?

Liberals, it's time to do some explaining lets you appear to be hypocrits of the highest order.
They don't know anything about it. They don't read bills. They just know what "The One" and the MSM tell them. All they know is that their 2% pizza money is gone (FICA holiday expiration).

$70 billion in loopholes for the rich and wealthy and they have no clue.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They don't know anything about it. They don't read bills. They just know what "The One" and the MSM tell them. All they know is that their 2% pizza money is gone (FICA holiday expiration).

I sincerely hope a liberal or two show up to try to explain this away. If we're lucky and any of them have an ounce of intellect, they'll come out and denounce this deal and tell us why they disagree with it.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I guess we liberals were just trying to make all you conservatives HAPPY!

Aren't you so HAPPY that the job creators are getting tax breaks?

You should be; there are a million threads on that topic here on C-D, all of you defending the job creators and the tax loopholes they utilize.

HORRAY!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
The irony of this thread isn't lost on me. LMAO...

So lemme ask you this: do you want this loophole closed? If so, how long have you wanted it closed?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I guess we liberals were just trying to make all you conservatives HAPPY!

Aren't you so HAPPY that the job creators are getting tax breaks?

You should be; there are a million threads on that topic here on C-D, all of you defending the job creators and the tax loopholes they utilize.

HORRAY!!!
No, that's not what this thread is about. I'm ready for YOU, a liberal, to explain how such a deal runs in congruence with your expectations of this President. Afterall, you folks have fought against Big Corporations and Offshoring for a full 12 years, but yet you were left holding the bag by the guy who was supposed to represent "HOPE AND CHANGE."

What happened? Let me guess.....you still worship him, right?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

So lemme ask you this: do you want this loophole closed? If so, how long have you wanted it closed?
LOL....irony? Barack sticks you in your eye after 12 years of bellyaching and all you can muster is that it's "irony?"

How about he completely ignored you and your desires? That's not irony! That's telling you to **** off!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I think the Dems did. Obama spoke often about corporates and their offshore activities and not paying their fair share.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

So what I'm reading is that you've wanted these loopholes closed all along, and you're absolutely DEVASTATED that they won't be? Am I understanding you correctly?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM

No, the irony is that he came out today and said the rich aren't paying enough.
Would that be because he just gave them $70 billion in pork ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies