Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Seems to be generating plenty of controversy.

I'm waiting for someone to finally come out with a half ton with a small diesel that knocks down 30 or better. If a 7000lb rig with "towing" gears can get better than 20, a 5000lb rig with highway gearing should be able to do it.
I think there are plenty of people that have stuff like me: stuff that doesn't fit in a car but is not heavy. For me, it's motorcycles and bicycles. Others it might be furniture or kayaks, surfboards, etc. I like to travel across country but I can't carry my bicycle and enough stuff for more than a week on the motorcycle. A super light duty pickup that gets good fuel economy would be perfect. Even a 1/4 ton would be enough. Diesel would be even better.

I just got my first F150 with a long bed and I'm hooked. This coming from a guy that used to have a Yaris and a Civic Hatchback. One of the greatest things about having a pickup is that you can throw anything in the bed and not worry about how dirty it is. It's easy to hose the bed down once in a while; not so easy to get gear grease out of cloth. There's also no worries about tearing seats or liquid leaking.

A crew cab would be more practical than most cars unless one lives somewhere where parking is really tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Have you priced a Duramax or Powerstroke lately? Unless you look at a stripped version, it's tough to find one with a sticker price of less than $50k, and real easy to push them over $60. Granted, you'll get better fuel economy than some vehicles that weigh half as much...but to claim that people are buying them because they are cheap is just ignorant.

I really don't care what anyone else drives. If you want to contort yourself into a tiny tin can for the daily drive to work every day, and exploit your friends to do any moving for you, knock youself out.

I think you're confusing what the other poster is saying. People buy trucks because 'they are (were) pound for pound some of the cheapest vehicles on the road to buy.' Apparently, that's how people pick their vehicles: by comparing price per lbs, like Deli meats. 'Well, this Neon is $15,000 but only weighs 3000lbs. I can get an F150 for $25,000 and it weighs 6000lbs. Deal!'

Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I think you're confusing what the other poster is saying. People buy trucks because 'they are (were) pound for pound some of the cheapest vehicles on the road to buy.' Apparently, that's how people pick their vehicles: by comparing price per lbs, like Deli meats. 'Well, this Neon is $15,000 but only weighs 3000lbs. I can get an F150 for $25,000 and it weighs 6000lbs. Deal!'
Good point, I stand corrected.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's too bad we don't have more diesel models available in the States. In Europe everyone drives diesels, way more efficient, but a lot of those models aren't available over here. I drove a diesel Citroen in Austria and Germany last month and it wasn't a bad ride.
I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with the price of diesel here in the US. A lot of people I know scoff at the idea of owning a diesel since it's usually even more expensive than premium gasoline. They don't seem to make the connection that the incredibly high fuel mileage would more than make up for it.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's also butt ass ugly too. But hey...if it floats your boat. I wouldn't be seen dead in that thing.
I've always been a function-over-form kind of guy. I think that the form-over-function people are superficial wankers who care more about what other people think of them than what kind of person they actually are. Those people are sad, sad members of society, and represent a lot of what's wrong with it.

So tell me, Mr. "I care more about how it looks than what it can do", what vehicle would you recommend to tow a 30' travel trailer? Show us your expertise in this area. I dare you. No, I triple dog dare you!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Here's a pickup I'd love to own

2012 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor: King of the Sandbox - Ignition Episode 29 - YouTube

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
The Raptor is OK, but for playing in the dirt, I'll stick with an ATV, dirt bike or side by side and keep my daily transportation for hauling the toys to the fun stuff.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Have you priced a Duramax or Powerstroke lately? Unless you look at a stripped version, it's tough to find one with a sticker price of less than $50k, and real easy to push them over $60. Granted, you'll get better fuel economy than some vehicles that weigh half as much...but to claim that people are buying them because they are cheap is just ignorant.

I really don't care what anyone else drives. If you want to contort yourself into a tiny tin can for the daily drive to work every day, and exploit your friends to do any moving for you, knock youself out.
What part of WERE (past tense of are) cheap did you miss in my post. Habits die hard in America, cheap once ago earns brand and platform loyalty for life. Still, if it weren't for existing get outs for trucks in the DOT code the 50K Duramax you mentioned would cost a lot more. How much more I don't know but more is more and Americans, most of them, don't like paying more for anything. Or so auto-makers say. Airbags that would have added a grand to the sticker price were so bitterly fought by the Big Three that I do believe there were some assassinations in Washington over it. Nowadays the only place you can't find an air-bag is in the roof. That's coming. Back-up camera's are the current price war item with auto-makers vigorously contesting their utility. So kids continue to get backed over because a camera would add $500 to the sticker. When camera's are finally mandated there will not only be back-up camera's but camera's in the roof so that you can record your... ...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That was a funny episode. Though this thread sort of proves that people driving pickup trucks can be just as smug and annoying as the mythical Prius-driving liberal San Franciscan stereotype.
What myth?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If anyone really believes half this crap about moose hunting and hauling their oil tanker sized fishing boats around, you'd have to suspend all reality.
If you only had a clue...

I can't delve into details without risking my anonymity, but I'll say this - there are plenty of people moving large boats around the country, and I make money from them. Every single week.

If you really think that people don't hunt large game, or that people don't pull items that require a powerful towing vehicle, then you need to get out more. I don't think you actually believe that - I think you're just trying to support your unsupportable position by pretending that reality isn't real - but if you do, I suggest you go hang out at a truck stop just off a major highway on May 27th of this year. You'd (apparently) be surprised at just how many big, heavy things people are towing with those trucks you don't think they need.

Personally, I think some people are just jealous that other people have things that they themselves can't afford. They whine, complain and talk about how nobody "needs" those things, just to make themselves feel better about their own lack of success in life. They're the same people that complain about "the rich not paying their fair share," yet they never take any steps to improve their own financial situation. Those people are pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies