Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM

507 posts, read 514,011 times

Advertisements

No they don't if anything the reality is a few players earn a large sum of money and the rest are hanging on by a thread. They are paid accordingly based on their skills, the fans in the seats, and outside endorsements. Anyone can make the argument that someone is paid too much for their skill, even if they are not an athlete. What amazes me even moreso than their pay, is the fact over 70% of athletes (regardless of sport), will go broke

Also lets put into perspective some may be worth 100s of millions of dollars but the CEO, COO, VP, and President are the ones making the real money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
There are also other logistical things. Recently, (in the last few years) IIRC they have added 18.5-24 hour direct flights from the US to Australia and Singapore
so on a quick side note here:

I recently flew from Singapore to New Zealand - 100% no outside food, no water.

cost on plane : small meal: $20, bottle of water $4 .

no cash allowed either so you also had to pay card fees.

11-12 hour flight.

starve or pay....

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Seriously? If I am flying more than 4 or 5 hours I splurge on first, but I cant believe flights that are that long dont have free meals in coach.
As I said when I flew to SE Asia mercifully they had food on the plane, but I also had like 2-6 hour layovers in places.

I don't do first class because I am young and my body can take it. I prefer not to spend the money.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
so on a quick side note here:

I recently flew from Singapore to New Zealand - 100% no outside food, no water.

cost on plane : small meal: $20, bottle of water $4 .

no cash allowed either so you also had to pay card fees.

11-12 hour flight.

starve or pay....
Ouch. They tried to pull that on me when I was flying from the UK to Spain 7E or 6L for water but fortunately it was a 1-2 hour flight so they didn't have me hostage for long.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 01-04-2013 at 10:07 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
No they don't if anything the reality is a few players earn a large sum of money and the rest are hanging on by a thread.
Nearly $400K in the NFL for a rookie is hanging on by a thread?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not at all, this is decision the owners made to protect their business interests. The players don't have to accept if they don't want too.
so you mean they can opt out of the agreement and get higher wages?

or more likely, you mean they can just turn down the job and become a bus driver instead.....unlikely for sure.

This is price control , pure and simple.

Lenin would be proud.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Besides paid too much or not, what are you going to do about it?
well, arguing with you and your buddies is a good enough start for me, lol

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 PM

507 posts, read 514,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Nearly $400K in the NFL for a rookie is hanging on by a thread?
Yes it is when you realize how much goes to government, babymamas, agent, manager, and careless spending. You have to look at the whole picture and that is small change. These players don't start off making tons of money and when they do ask for more, just like with any other job out in the real world, the team has to weight it's options to not pay or pay less. It pales in comparison to what some of them oneday think they might make and that is if they get there

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
so you mean they can opt out of the agreement and get higher wages?

or more likely, you mean they can just turn down the job and become a bus driver instead.....unlikely for sure.

This is price control , pure and simple.

Lenin would be proud.
The leagues are a single business entity. The team "owner" owns a franchise. Just like any business that might set pay scales so does the league, it's as simple as that.

Not a hard concept to understand.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM

ok, let's look into this is bit further, and agreed, my knowledge here is a little patchy.

how about I wanted to start a new NFL team, let's say 'The Wyoming Wanderers'.

assuming I had enough backing, how could I join the NFL league?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies