Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 PM

106 posts, read 69,824 times

Advertisements

That's all I have to say about that.....

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (Long version!) - YouTube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
paying top wages to these stars pushes prices of all sorts of things up.

so that's a problem
Other than taxes for the venues what do they drive up?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:

so that's a problem

ie: why should a non-sports fan have to face this mark up , just so the football player can rake in millions?
You're right about that. Price gouging takes place anywhere near a game. At the motel, for food, for parking...everything. Even people who tailgate at these events spend a small fortune.

If you are going to pay, at least pay a NASCAR driver who's risking his life hitting 200 MPH and trading paint at that speed. A expert guitar player is another. As I said, that took 12 hours a day for years and years to be that good.

A high school senior who knows how to shuck and jive doesn't measure up. U.S. soldiers have to be in better shape. They sure aren't getting rich.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:

so that's a problem

ie: why should a non-sports fan have to face this mark up , just so the football player can rake in millions?
Jocks bore me to tears.

Godsmack - Cryin' Like A *****!! - YouTube

Days of Thunder (Gimme Some Lovin) Cole vs. Rowdy - YouTube

I'll pay, but you are going to have to earn it.

It's NOT pretty!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
No one ever forced me to attend a sporting event, purchase sneakers, pay for a movie ticket (unless it's a chick flick, then my girlfriend make me go, lol), buy CDs, purchase a piece of art. I'm not even forced to watch commercials on TV.

As someone stated earlier, entertainers are worth whatever someone is willing to pay them. THE END.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 01-04-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle_Driver View Post
You're right about that. Price gouging takes place anywhere near a game. At the motel, for food, for parking...everything. Even people who tailgate at these events spend a small fortune.

If you are going to pay, at least pay a NASCAR driver who's risking his life hitting 200 MPH and trading paint at that speed. A expert guitar player is another. As I said, that took 12 hours a day for years and years to be that good.

A high school senior who knows how to shuck and jive doesn't measure up. U.S. soldiers have to be in better shape. They sure aren't getting rich.
Hmmm...

When U.S. soldiers start filling arenas full of paying customers a'la LeBron James or Peyton Manning, they'll start making big bucks too. Until then, quiet please. I'm trying to watch the game.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Other than taxes for the venues what do they drive up?
cable tv subscription, insurance, rents etc...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Hmmm...

When U.S. soldiers start filling arenas full of paying customers a'la LeBron James or Peyton Manning, they'll start making big bucks too. Until then, quiet please. I'm trying to watch the game.
You're easily impressed....

U.S. Navy SEALs - No Easy Way Out - YouTube

Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
think of the salaries paid to top sports, movie and tv stars.

that money must come from somewhere, and guess what, it comes out of the common cake!

so a much smaller slice for everyone else

Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
cable tv subscription, insurance, rents etc...
LOL... that can be applied to anything. I have maybe 400 channels on my TV and watch maybe 10 of them. I'm paying for services I don't need.

I'm not sure why your insurance goes up?

Rent? Presumably because you live near a stadium? Move to less desirable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies