Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The orginal post did, you should read threads before you comment on them.

From your own link. There is a gun ban in Chicago, for violent felons. Why do you want violent felons to own guns???
I did read the post but I was not aware that I wasn't allowed to comment on another posters comment or yours.. There is a gun ban in Chicago of all handguns... I don't want violent felons to have guns but I do want private citizens to own them. You seem to be looking to put words in other peoples mouths. I suggest in the future perhaps paying more attention to what is coming out of yours....Have a nice day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I did read the post but I was not aware that I wasn't allowed to comment on another posters comment or yours.. There is a gun ban in Chicago of all handguns... I don't want violent felons to have guns but I do want private citizens to own them. You seem to be looking to put words in other peoples mouths. I suggest in the future perhaps paying more attention to what is coming out of yours....Have a nice day...
No there isn't, even the links you posted say otherwise. It says violent felons can't own guns.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
How is the gun ban in Mexico working?
Murder rates rise in Mexico | GlobalPost

A report handed quietly to the nation’s Congress earlier this month found that in the first five months of 2011, a staggering 18,468 homicides had been reported.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Depends how you look at it. At the peak they had nearly 1000 homicides per year, and now 500.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
No there isn't, even the links you posted say otherwise. It says violent felons can't own guns.
You guys need some serious google training.

Quote:
Chicago required the registration of all firearms but did not allow handguns to be registered,, which had the effect of outlawing their possession, unless they were grandfathered in by being registered before April 16, 1982.
Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Due to constitutionality changes Chicago is currently trying to just make it as hard as possible and as expensive as possible to be legal. Hours of training, fees etc etc etc. and even then you can only keep it in your home blah blah blah.

Essentially, Chicago is using the equivalent of "poll taxes" to violate the constitution.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Here you go.... You want any more research, do it yourself....

What are the Gun Laws in Illinois?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Depends how you look at it. At the peak they had nearly 1000 homicides per year, and now 500.
It's gone down everywhere over the years. The 500 is a more recent spike.

It's probably safe to say that the ban has had no serious effect which isn't shocking considering that 80% of the shootings are related to the illegal drug trade which smuggles in all kinds of *illegal* things.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here's the big question...WHY are they shooting each other ?
Escalation of anything is necessary to sustain the gang.
Social media amplifies it.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You guys need some serious google training.

Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Due to constitutionality changes Chicago is currently trying to just make it as hard as possible and as expensive as possible to be legal. Hours of training, fees etc etc etc. and even then you can only keep it in your home blah blah blah.

Essentially, Chicago is using the equivalent of "poll taxes" to violate the constitution.
The law banning hand guns in Chicago no longer exists. According to the police department's own webiste, one can legally own a hand gun in Chicago.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's gone down everywhere over the years. The 500 is a more recent spike.

It's probably safe to say that the ban has had no serious effect which isn't shocking considering that 80% of the shootings are related to the illegal drug trade which smuggles in all kinds of *illegal* things.
No, it would not have effect, since it is really not a ban, and since you can hop in your car and be in Indiana in 20 minues to buy whatever weaponry you want. And yes, these killings are mostly gangsters killing other gansters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies