Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, murders were cut to half during the ban, and now that the ban was lifted in 2010, there is a spike???

Don't you think you are giving fuel to the anti-gun crowd?
I hold no illusions of idiots taking information like this and then claiming it supports a ban....they already have in other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
And obama as Senator of Chicago voted gang members should not get a harsher penalty for crimes where guns were/are used....

Just like we have said take away the rights of legal gun owners and only the criminals will have them! Yet another LIBERAL Experiment gone bad .When will they learn...

Nathaniel T. Jackson, 40, an alleged gang member with a long arrest record, was gunned down last week outside a store in Chicago's Austin neighborhood, becoming the Windy City's 500th murder victim in 2012.
Up to 80% of Chicago's murders and shootings are gang-related, according to police. By one estimate, the city has almost 70,000 gang members. A police audit last spring identified 59 gangs and 625 factions; most were on the South and West sides.

Read More At IBD: Rahm Emanuel's Gun-Controlled Chicago Passes 500 Murders In 2012 - Investors.com
Rahm Emmanuel does not have a gun ban, The article says he wants a gun ban like back in 1994.

That Ban, was to stop the manufacture of assault rifles, so unless some gun companies were breaking the law, it did work. from 1994 to when ever that gun ban ended, it was still perfectly legal to buy, sell, trade, own assault rifles on the banned list.

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
In my mind it would be nice to see the anti-gun supporters start addressing the disease instead of the symptoms...
Actually I would agree that we should focus on the issues rather than trying to apply band aids. But then again, I already stated that in my first post.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Rahm Emmanuel does not have a gun ban, The article says he wants a gun ban like back in 1994.

That Ban, was to stop the manufacture of assault rifles, so unless some gun companies were breaking the law, it did work. from 1994 to when ever that gun ban ended, it was still perfectly legal to buy, sell, trade, own assault rifles on the banned list.
It's really pointless to have a ban when you can drive a few miles where there is no ban. In any caes, there is no current ban

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Three letters for the OP.

N

Y

C.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I'm supposing someone who would call the gun ban in Chicago something which was approved on Rahm's watch ... reads just the 'tin foil hat' press reports from outer space. LOL!
Actually the current gun laws in the city of Chicago, were implemented under his watch, however they were originated under the Dailey regime.... Different name, same animal...

Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually the current gun laws in the city of Chicago, were implemented under his watch, however they were originated under the Dailey regime.... Different name, same animal...
Current gun laws are more lenient than they were before he took office. Not a fan of Emmanuel, but I see no proof of him implementing any bans.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
It's really pointless to have a ban when you can drive a few miles where there is no ban.
that is 100% true, but the points of my comment were

1. Rahm Emmanuel doesnt have a gun ban

2. the ban talked about in the article did work.

The OP wrote what they wanted to right and not what the article he/she quoted actually talked about.Then again the article say the Assault weapons ban failed to, but that also falls on the assumption that the ban was meant to do something no one ever specified it would do.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The law banning hand guns in Chicago no longer exists. According to the police department's own webiste, one can legally own a hand gun in Chicago.
You are totally wrong Don. They never had a law banning hand guns in Chicago....you just needed to get a permit. Come on, it's got to sink in eventually to you how things *work* in Chicago.

Not to mention the fact that you are somehow thinking you are informing me of some new information by telling me what my own post mentioned.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
This is the problem with Chicago and the conversation about their murder rate. Pro-gun people like to turn this into an issue about gun ban laws and how we don't need gun laws and such all while ignoring the fact that Chicago actually has a gang issue, not a gun issue.

The murder rate in Chicago has ZERO to do with guns, and EVERYTHING to do with gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies