Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
For those opposing this..........

Dont ask "Where was GOD?", next time some tragedy rolls up.
God is every where if you believe and he doesn't need to be invited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Why would we want to take such a leap backwards?

"It is mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Before everyone gets paranoid, this country was founded by Christians has always been a Christian dominant society so I don't see what's the problem? If people would stop trying to make everybody connivance all the time ! Do you think if I move to Iran they'll stop praying to the east three times a day just so I can have my Sunday in church there?
Try again. Franklin and jefferson were deist, adams was a unitarian, washington was not a christian. It was a mixture. The one thing they all shared was the thought of religion being a PRIVATE matter and government should not intervene. With that being said, living in Indiana it's a joke. There are some 2k gods worshipped on this planet. If you are not going to advocate for all, do not advocate for any. Plus students are allowed to pray privately as long as it is not disruptive.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Hope for what exactly? Divisiveness that you know for a fact would follow introducing something as personal as faith and religious beliefs into any captive audience that you also know are diverse in their ideas about such thing? Tell me, honestly, what would be the upside and how would that outweigh the downside of turning such a place into a religous battleground with guarenteed anger, hostility, and lawsuits ?

I want you to answer...don't slink away and hide behind your comp screen.
If we can pray in school without problems, then that gives me hope. I don't think the subject of religion should be controversial. If a person doesn't want to pray, they have that choice. For those who want to pray, then it's very good.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If we can pray in school without problems, then that gives me hope. I don't think the subject of religion should be controversial. If a person doesn't want to pray, they have that choice. For those who want to pray, then it's very good.
Please have the courage to express what you are asking for and stop beating around the bush.

Nobody here is arguing you can't pray in public school.

You want it mandated that public schools use tax payer resources to promote prayer.

Here is the problem again

A Republican state senator is pushing for Indiana's public school students to start the school day by reciting the "Lord's Prayer."....Senator Dennis Kruse of Auburn has filed legislation that would allow school districts to require the prayer to be recited, but would also grant broad exemptions.

You want my local school district to elect to "require" that the Lord's Prayer be recited.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Why do Republicans want to mandate prayer in schools? Why do Republicans support government mandates?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Please have the courage to express what you are asking for and stop beating around the bush.

Nobody here is arguing you can't pray in public school.

You want it mandated that public schools use tax payer resources to promote prayer.

Here is the problem again

A Republican state senator is pushing for Indiana's public school students to start the school day by reciting the "Lord's Prayer."....Senator Dennis Kruse of Auburn has filed legislation that would allow school districts to require the prayer to be recited, but would also grant broad exemptions.

You want my local school district to elect to "require" that the Lord's Prayer be recited.
I thought the lawmaker wanted to have the Lord's Prayer legal in all schools. I never assumed he was forcing people to pray in school.

Update: I did not really read the first post properly until now.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Let's see, your arguments are that we should have prayer in schools because:

-"Our founding fathers were Christian." Not that they wanted prayer in schools, not that they advocated for any of what you're saying, but just that they were Christian, and that makes Christian prayer in schools welcome or a necessity. This is not a valid argument.

It says in the first amendment of our Constitution that the state is not to give official respect to a religious institution. I don't normally like to appeal to our constitution, but the fact is that whatever you're advocating here would require another amendment.

-"It's always been a Christian-dominated society." I don't think Christianity is the main dominating force in our country, but regardless, this still doesn't make praying in schools needed. Alternatively, there are parts of this country where Christianity is almost absent. Should they still be forced to pray to your God? Or should they lead kids in the traditional Islamic prayer in areas where Muslims are "dominant" (maybe >50% of the population)? Just because many people in school pray to a god doesn't mean they should have to do it in school.

I can think of a few arguments against school prayer: it's a waste of time, it would further alienate people of other or no religions, and parents are already free to lead their kids in prayer at home as many times as they want. Why de-secularize schools? There is no point.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
We are not a theocracy as is Iran.

Of course YOU don't see a problem, because YOU are not Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Bhuddist, or any other religion other than christian.

Separation of chuch and state.

Schools are state-run and mostly funded through real estate taxes.

Individual kids can pray at home before school or any time they feel like it.
Group prayer...NO.
Not even with 'exemptions', since those children will still have to listen to the prayer.
Will they be able to leave the room? Probably not.

BS on that.
Actually, students can pray in school and often do. They can pray silently during opening exercises or at any other time they feel the need to do so.

They can pray in groups, as long as the groups are not staff led and do not disrupt the school day in anyway. Many (most?) public secondary schools have Bible clubs and/or prayer circles or other types of religion based clubs.

Last edited by ray1945; 01-04-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
People not all founding fathers were christian Adams was unitarian, franklin and jefferson were deist. The founding fathers being christian is incorrect. They all believed religion was a private matter and not up to the government. This notion of being founded as a christian nation is revisionist history on a grand scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies