Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
For every black kid back in the hood taunting him for "acting white" there is at least one non-black kid, teacher or police officer in the burbs taking him to task for being "uppity".
True, true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is the fallacy many Black parents have even middle class ones. You don't simply drop off your kids and just expect the school to teach them everything. There needs to engagement and reinforcement at home and even outside of the home. Surrounding your child among positive peers is also very helpful. The schools can't do it all.
No fallacy. I said that the home was equally important. But putting kids in schools that are terrible and unsafe hurts as well.......didn't you say something like this was happening with your own younger brother?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
A good start would be to stop subsidizing behaviors that are detrimental to forming sound families. While I doubt many young women intentionally get knocked up to receive welfare, I suspect more young women would not get knocked up by loser guys if it wasn't there.
I think that's true. I was shocked when I found out about the frequency of this type of behavior in the community.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
While the statistics here clearly shows the black/white crime ratio, one must ponder.... are there high-crime rates in smaller, more rural areas? Of course not. Why? Because 'country kids' usually have both parents at home, they may drink a few beers and smoke a little dope, and they listen to a style of music that promotes a culture of God, Country, and Family.

And, what of inner-city youth? What is their environment about? Fatherless children. Crack. Gangs. Hardcore rap music. It's all about attitude yo, and show me some respect or I'll plug a dime in ya style of living. It is a very tribal style of life.

Of course, there are some low-life white folk. And, equally there are some high-life black folk.

We here in Texas are very proud of a college-graduated football quarterback who was recently drafted by the NFL and took his team from 3-6 to 10-6 and are in the play-offs. This young man handles the media equally as well as a nickle defense. He was raised by parents with strong God, Country, and Family values.

His name is Robert Griffin III.
Very true and he was denounced as a "cornball brother" by a Black ESPN commentator for possessing the values you cited and for having a white fiancee.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Very true and he was denounced as a "cornball brother" by a Black ESPN commentator for possessing the values you cited and for having a white fiancee.
That commentator was an idiot and a troll. Most people, even black folk, don't think the same way about Robert Griffin III.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief not all young black males are prison bound
This "popular belief" is as widely known as the title of about 1 thread on city data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
For every black kid back in the hood taunting him for "acting white" there is at least one non-black kid, teacher or police officer in the burbs taking him to task for being "uppity".
No, there's not.

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that. Pathetic.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The racist war on drugs is one reason. One in 6 drug users are black, yet 1 in 3 arrested and 2 in 3 serving time for drugs are black.
Ron Paul has been noted to touch on this issue.

“Paul, in a speech aired at the time on C-SPAN went on. “Before the 20th Century there was none of that and it was the medical profession as well as many other trade groups that agitated for the laws. And you know there’s a pretty good case made that this same concept was built in with racism as well. We do know that opium was used by the Chinese and the Chinese were not welcomed in this country,” Paul said. “We do know that the blacks at times use heroin, opium and the laws have been used against them. There have been times that it has been recognized that the Latin Americans use marijuana and the laws have been written against them. But lo and behold the drug that inebriates most of the members of Congress has not been touched because they're up there drinking alcohol.”

Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The racist war on drugs is one reason. One in 6 drug users are black, yet 1 in 3 arrested and 2 in 3 serving time for drugs are black.
Well that doesn't take into account the difference between users and dealers. Plus white kids tend to have the ability to get away with using, because they have more resources and live in lower crime areas.

That being said, yeah, drug laws hit the poor first and foremost, and should pretty much all be repealed immediately, but mostly because of the simple fact that it's nobody's god damn business if I want to smoke weed.

And I say this as someone who never uses drugs.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I agree with the assertion that it starts with the home life, regardless of race. And it doesn't have to be the traditional nuclear family either. My mother, a divorcee, and my grandmother raised me. They worked very hard so that I could be raised in a middle classed neighborhood with good schools vs. their old neighborhood which was going downhill. They loved and nurtured me and all of my endeavors throughout the years. My home life was stable, and my father played an active role in my life even if he lived in another state. So, it was no surprise (and was expected) that I bucked the minority stereotype. Most minorities who come from similar environments -- where they have involved parents/guardians/etc. -- find success and do not go down that path. The best things we could ever give our children aren't material things but our time, commitment, and stability in their lives. As a result, we do have high (but reasonable) expectations. We fully expect our girls to be successful, productive members of society. I expect them to do well in their studies and I expect them to work and try hard. I believe they can do whatever they put their mind to.

Perhaps the key is less of the prison articles and the attention associated with it and more on articles like this.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,309 times
But 90 percent are. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies