Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i notice that you carefully disregarded the fact that this kid has an IQ of 151. probably because it didn't fit your 'superior educational resources and opportunities' meme..
If your IQ is 100 or 151 if you have access to better educational opportunities, chances are you going to have better outcomes in an environment where intellect is nurtured and stimulated.

Chances are there are poor kids in rural Kentucky or an inner city neighborhood in Baltimore who just as smart as this kid but will never have the opportunity to go as far because the educational resources and opportunities simply do not exists in their respective environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
For every black kid back in the hood taunting him for "acting white" there is at least one non-black kid, teacher or police officer in the burbs taking him to task for being "uppity".
Touche!

It's been my experience that there are some White people that are extremely uncomfortable when they meet and interact with a person of color that matches or exceeds them intellectually.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
And this would be correct, to think otherwise would be ingorant.

I know some fine young black males and what a education they have going for themselves. Scholarships, very inteliigent off the charts. Parents that are loving nuturing, caring, and want the best possible for their children, as i do.

We hear so often about the negative impact, i know quite a few good black familes that our friends with us, they want the same things that my husband and i do for our children, no different. There is a miff out there, that many black parents, do not, that is wrong.

Any child can learn in the right enviroment, and with the right parents.

Unfortuately, i know what many on here mean, there are many young black children, who do not have the love of two parents, or caring loving nurturing parents. And that is unfortunate, not any more then white children, who do not have loving caring nurturing parents. And cannot see the importance of a good education.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Touche!

It's been my experience that there are some White people that are extremely uncomfortable when they meet and interact with a person of color that matches or exceeds them intellectually.

"What do you call a black man with a Ph.D?

N*****"

- Malcolm X

Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its not what u believe its what occurs that is important. hats off to one sharp young man.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM

507 posts, read 514,011 times
Well OP I see the message you are trying to send and I appreciate it. Every year I read the special editions of Essence and Ebony magazine when they highlight the various Black students around the country who are inventing, graduating with honors and advanced placement classes to full scholarship offers from top tier schools. Even so, this is lost a lot of individuals who like to believe differently. I think we can all agree that there is a disproportionate number of Blacks males in prison compared to that of their White/Latino counterparts, but we know that not all Black men are going to prison

Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If he attended Germantown Academy since he was old enough to go to school he had superior educational resources and opportunities.

Many White Americans confuse having superior resources and opportunities with racial superiority.

This young man is not so different than any other kid in America. Give them a chance to get a quality education and a healthy environment and chances are they will do well.

Yeah, and who controls K-12 education? It is largely in the hands of liberal Democrats. The NEA donated 4% to Republicans, and the American Federation of Teachers donated 0% to R's.
Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012 | OpenSecrets

Conservative black radio talk host Ken Hamblin used to say that if imagined himself in the shoes of a KKK 'Grand Wizard,' he would not have been able to come up with a more effective strategy to destroy the black community than that which K-12 public ed has pursued over the last 50 years.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I love the fact that he's on the cross-country team and plays cello. Whole 9 yards....Like Huckleberry said, he is one impressive young man.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yeah, and who controls K-12 education? It is largely in the hands of liberal Democrats. The NEA donated 4% to Republicans, and the American Federation of Teachers donated 0% to R's.
Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012 | OpenSecrets

Conservative black radio talk host Ken Hamblin used to say that if imagined himself in the shoes of a KKK 'Grand Wizard,' he would not have been able to come up with a more effective strategy to destroy the black community than that which K-12 public ed has pursued over the last 50 years.
The quality of publc education is usually tied to property taxes. Better or more affluent neighborhoods have better schools.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This one did what only 360 other kids in the entire nation managed to accomplish.
No doubt this kid is a treasure to the nation, but you should really make better arguments. One kid being a genius while tens of thousands are criminals really only serves to highlight the very thing you're trying to argue against.

If I were trying to make a "not all black youths are bad" type argument, I'd say that yes a disproportionate number of prison inmates are black, but it's also true that a disproportionate number of honorably serving soldiers are black.

See that way you're making a general statement about thousands of blacks. Your statement is pointing out one incredibly nonrepresentative person, and thus only serves to highlight how unusual he is. Which makes the exact opposite argument of what you're trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies