U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 4,918,445 times

Advertisements

Should we really encourage more people to get gun permits? I`m not so sure.
Butler man charged in shooting at Rayburn gentlemen's club | TribLIVE
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM

41,428 posts, read 22,540,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Should we really encourage more people to get gun permits? I`m not so sure.
Butler man charged in shooting at Rayburn gentlemen's club | TribLIVE

Sure, why not...

TO bad this story never made it to MSM...I guess it did not fall into their agenda...

Man Attempts to Open Fire on Crowd at Movie Theater, Armed Off-Duty Sergeant Drops Him (UPDATED) | TheBlaze.com

Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM

9,848 posts, read 6,296,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Like I said the whole civilian firearm industry involves about 100k people. I read it not to long ago. You can google it and I won't be far off.
Don't believe everything you read. Of course, we all know ... or at least we all should possess the common sense necessary to understand that even if it is "just 100,000 people" .. each one of them buys cars and homes and go to restaurants and movies and buys clothes and food, and have children that require all of the other things that hundreds of thousands of other people are employed to produce and provide.

So maybe it's "just 100,000" to start .... but a hundred thousand here, and a hundred thousand there ... and next thing you know, you've got a pretty big crowd on your hands, and probably a couple hundred thousand children that need to eat also.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM

10,060 posts, read 4,918,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Sure, why not...

TO bad this story never made it to MSM...I guess it did not fall into their agenda...

Man Attempts to Open Fire on Crowd at Movie Theater, Armed Off-Duty Sergeant Drops Him (UPDATED) | TheBlaze.com
Wow! Stop the presses! A bad guy got shot by an off duty cop.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM

14,372 posts, read 8,956,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
The destruction of an industry is a point overlooked or played down by anti gun types. Of course, they are nearly all "information" workers, who may not even know any one involved in manufacturing, much less really understand what it is like when the mill shuts down, or the mine, or the plant. Ironically, drugs and violence often really take hold when the major employers of towns move out.

I don't want any tax credits, period, so I can't get behind this idea (even if the climate didn't render it 100% impossible.) I want to throw out the tax code and start over with a simple flat tax, but that is irrelevant.

Do you have any info on how many people are employed in gun manufacturing, distribution and retail?
I'd say the gun industry supports well over a million people. Manufacturing, sporting goods retail (Walmart, Dicks, Big 5...etc.), hunting industry (includes lodging, guides, travel), shooting ranges, trainers, sport clubs, competition clubs, target manufacturers, loading equipment manufacturers, clothing manufacturers... and on and on

There are a lot of jobs depending on weapons sales.

Quote:
lifeexplorer said: Define large. The whole civilian firearm industry is like 10 billion total. That is a fraction of a fraction what Exxon Microsoft Walmart etc make in an hour.
Let's do some math. You claim $10B is a fraction per hour, but I'll leave it at a full $10B an hour.

$10B x 24 = $24B per day
24x365= $8,760,000,000,000
Your claim is $8.76T yr

Walmart gross sales $378B last year
Oil top 5 $375M day $1.36T year
Microsoft $17B (16 last year)

Actual $1.89T yr

is $5,178,082,191 day

You bloated capital x4.76

Gun Retail (not counting ancillary jobs) $12.2B

In actuality the gun industry represents about 2.35 days of gross operating capital, for these companies. So that would make the gun industry (retail only) 56 times larger than your calculation.

The retail gun industry is 65% of Microsoft's total operating capital. That's actually impressive. Americans love guns even more than operating systems, especially when factoring in anti-gun people who own Microsoft's products.

The bottom line: It isn't like those hundreds of thousands of jobs are important. I'm sure if we disarm the nation, they'll find better jobs; and we'll all be safer! Right?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM

35,590 posts, read 21,906,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well actually you and the OP are incorrect.

200k employees

32billion in total sales

5 billion in tax revenue.

Approx.

You're approximately correct.

Firearms and Ammunition Industry Economic Impact Report 2012 | NSSF

Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by chucksnee
Sure, why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Wow! Stop the presses! A bad guy got shot by an off duty cop.
Actually, if it was 12 cops firing 100 bullets into a lunatics car, it would have made the front page of every rag in the nation.

Remember this?

The press admires cops (and military personel) until their job requires deady force.

An off duty cop or an armed citizen thwarting a rampage barely gets a squeak

Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM

59,424 posts, read 40,797,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

We don't give federal income tax credits to Exxon or Walmart.
You might want to double check this. Exxon, the most profitable corporation in the world, has in many years paid no federal income tax.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You might want to double check this. Exxon, the most profitable corporation in the world, has in many years paid no federal income tax.
Maybe you should brush up on the facts:

ExxonMobil in 2011 made $27.3 billion in cash payments for income taxes. Chevron paid $17 billion and ConocoPhillips $10.6 billion. And not only were these the highest amounts in absolute terms, when compared with the rest of the 25 most profitable U.S. companies see our slideshow for the full rundown of who paid what, the trio also had the highest effective tax rates. Exxon’s tax rate was 42.9%, Chevron’s was 48.3% and Conoco’s was 41.5%. That’s even higher than the 35% U.S. federal statutory rate, which is already the highest tax rate among developed nations.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,104,397 times
The main problem is the 'Trained Cops' ain't trained at all and would usually miss a car 100 times out of 100..

Where do gun grabbers get the idea that just because cops have a gun in a holster in plain view that they ever get to use it.

Everyone know Barney Fife only had one bullet and that was in his shirt pocket..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies