Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really, more excuses?
You obviously don't have a father who is an engineer. My father is an engineer and he has dealt with discrimination. He has even been turned down for jobs despite being more qualified than other candidates. I've seen this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Rather than look at STEM as an affirmative action program, use STEM to get remedial help just to get us to the point of where we, as Americans, can climb back up that global rating list. Kids in Latvia are doing better than us in Math.

Our internal bickering over racism and discrimination is going to be the death of us where technology,science and math are concerned.
I have another idea. Start STEM from day one in the schools. Start these kids when they are in the 1st grade. I bet kids in Latvia are doing better than us in math because they start on it earlier and concentrate in it. Start these kids earlier. And encourage entrepreneurship early on as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How does HR determine which resumes go where? I ask because when I go searching for jobs, I don't want to have anything to do with HR. I want the hiring manager, because he/she is the ultimate decision maker. HR just sifts through resumes.
That's how the big corps work.
Managers put in their reqs and HR sends them a list of applicants in their locale to interview.

One doesn't just walk in the door of Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Apple, Blizzard or Google and ask to see the hiring manager with resume in hand. Doesn't work that way for the big players.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Typical government/think tank "diversity" push.

Don't go after the brain, go after the skin color.

Yeah it was a waste and after 10 years of doing it I gave up.
It was fun doing it but didn't make sense to do it to kids that had no inclination or aptitude to into those fields. But it did make great community press.."Oh look at what x company does for the community".
Yep, and it is a huge problem in this country, pushing kids into areas they are not smart enough or qualified enough for. Telling someone they are smart enough to do something they can't is more damaging to them than to let them find their way in life with a bit of mentoring. Science is extremely interesting to me, but I know my brain power for a career in this field is limited so I veiw and enjoy from the sidelines. Nothing wrong with admitting you don't have it, better than pretending you do.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There is also rampant, rampant discrimination in the workforce in these fields that discourages blacks, especially black females, from sticking it out.
The gender card -- but in reality there are more black women in college than black men and I would suspect more black women in the many fields of work than black men.

If a woman stays in school, doesn't start having babies to get on welfare handouts, is smart, she has very good opportunities. Many black women are doing quite well. They work hard and make it. Sadly they face discrimination -- a lot from black men.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-or-not-chosen

Written by a black educated woman.

The story is different for black women. At $25,000 - $39,999 black women outnumber men, and although they do have more male counterparts in the middle-income ranges it's by a much smaller margin than other ethnicities. And at $100,000 and over, black women are the only group who outnumber their men - and by over 1.5 times. There are 157 black women for every 100 black men while there are approximately 450 white men for every 100 white women in this income bracket! Super-successful single young sistahs looking for similar black men face fierce competition compared to white women - a serous challenge for black women who aren't willing to re-assess their "eligibility" criteria.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really? So, what does that say for blacks?
Actually, you might want to consider which segment of the Black population is having problems in terms of education. For Blacks in the middle class, things are better than ever. For poor Blacks, things are quite bad. Bad schools, some children being born into homes where the parents are not doing their job.

And the lack of emphasis in STEM is not just a "black problem". This is an American problem. The American education system is failing.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
Quote:
Rather than look at STEM as an affirmative action program, use STEM to get remedial help just to get us to the point of where we, as Americans, can climb back up that global rating list. Kids in Latvia are doing better than us in Math.

Our internal bickering over racism and discrimination is going to be the death of us where technology,science and math are concerned.
Good point. Americans, regardless of the sex or ethnicity, aren't particularly proficient in math, science, engineering, or technology. It's a big cultural problem that eclipses these smaller things we are always talking about. It's a widespread problem of culture.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
That's how the big corps work.
Managers put in their reqs and HR sends them a list of applicants in their locale to interview.

One doesn't just walk in the door of Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Apple, Blizzard or Google and ask to see the hiring manager with resume in hand. Doesn't work that way for the big players.
I have to find ways to work around it. HR in my opinion is basically red tape. I have to hope I stand out. That is why I make phone calls. I do internet searches to find out who the hiring managers are, their phone numbers, and their faxes. I look at it like this "I don't care how the big players work, I have to do what works for me". I've sent many resumes to HR, and I never got a call back from anyone. I changed my strategy and started making phone calls. I still don't have a job, yet. However, I got alot closer than I would have if I just sent it to HR. That is how my father eventually got a job with a big company. He went for the hiring manager. He didn't speak to HR.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Nope. Your words here do not indicate this at all.
I do not have a no blacks policy.
Wow. Maybe I should be so very thankful.

Quote:
I was affirming with the Indian example what was mentioned in an previous posts. I am more discerning when I interview. I am an American and know we have top notch and awful people in any group.
You were agreeing with the Indian example. You had no problems with it. That alone is enough to confirm your racism.

Quote:
I am not smug but realist. By your definition I was a victim of racism as well. I know it was not. (I am not a whitey.) I do not use it as a crutch.

You made the racist assumption. I noticed your name and thought well "this guy again" and posted what anybody who has had enough of the racist nonesense thinks.
Do us all a favor and keep your bs to yourself. You have no idea what I have gone through nor what I have accomplished. My crutches are made of the finest materials.

Quote:
You took it from there and brought family(and attitude) into the issue. Man, never bring family into an argument. I countered and it descended from there.
What in the hell are you talking about? I didn't bring family into anything. You are delusional as well as deficient in terms of reading comprehension.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I actually possess considerable morals and work ethic.

Ironically, I took over from a black female who was hated by her subordinates and anyone she came in contact with at the company.(She was fired) I am successful because I know how to manage and lead.

Fit is considered the most important metric once the technical ones needed to function in the position is met. No fit = no hire. Fit is entirely social intelligence. Mannerism, body language, appearance, dress, ability to absorb company values & mission,etc. That certain undefinable but instantly recognizable when someone who does not have it is being interviewed. No one in a position of responsibility would ever argue against this.

Disgruntled employees need to look at themselves when they feel they have been singled out for reproach/no promotion/no retention,etc. There are dysfunctional managers as the one mentioned above but they are an anomaly in my opinion based on work history. Again no one in management would contend this.

No one in the right mind would hire you based on your conduct in this forum.
No one in their right mind would look at an anonymous Internet forum and use what they see to form opinions on anyone's suitability for a job.

By the way? I work for myself and myself only. I don't need anyone to hire me - especially not the likes of you. You are proving to me what I've always said - the Peter Principle is alive and well in the American workplace. Those in charge of hiring are ofttimes the ones least suited for the position.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to work for or with you. It must be absolute hell - especially for those who belong to racial groups to whom you feel you are superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies