Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,219 times

Advertisements

Who cares? There's other more important things to worry about than making something "diverse".

We should also be more concerned and encouraging workplaces to hire people based on their knowledge and experience, not their skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
why dont we do this. create a subforum called black threads and have all the race trolling there from the usual suspects. hire a black mod so he can be on demand 24/7 for whites who insist on wanting to know about everything black.

i come here to read about politics and controversies. this is neither.
Auto-segregation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So much for Dr. King's Dream!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I agree. A black forum could be useful since 50% of the threads are about us, but it would probably just get trolled and be filled with "why isn't there a white forum" posts.
So you wanna take your ball and go home when the spotlight is on you, huh?

Why should one small group of people have special treatment here on City-Data?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So you wanna take your ball and go home when the spotlight is on you, huh?

Why should one small group of people have special treatment here on City-Data?
DAF*Q? I don't really want a black forum. There seems to be an unhealthy obsession with black people here. I really just wanted to point that out. I have no problem with those who are truly curious about issues blacks face, but most posters seem to just want to criticize or add their 2 cents.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
DAF*Q? I don't really want a black forum. There seems to be an unhealthy obsession with black people here. I really just wanted to point that out. I have no problem with those who are truly curious about issues blacks face, but most posters seem to just want to criticize or add their 2 cents.
A couple of threads = "unhealthy obsession"

Got it.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Who cares? There's other more important things to worry about than making something "diverse".

We should also be more concerned and encouraging workplaces to hire people based on their knowledge and experience, not their skin color.
This is the thing. Race has not been just a catalyst for alot of things. Race has been the major thing in this nation. Alot of decisions have been made by using race. It should never be that way. I shouldn't have been that way in the first place. However, race has been used as a deciding factor because of one major thing: money. Money is considered power, and those who have had the money wanted to keep that power.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Mathematics and Science should be encouraged from day one. I have a friend who came to the USA from Slovakia. She told me that the mathematics she learned in Slovakia at age 10 was being taught to her in the 10th grade. It bored her to have to do such math because she was already exposed to it. I'm talking about geometry or algebra. We don't expose our school children to advanced mathematics at an early age. Start early and often, and we might see changes. We ask "why aren't there more Blacks in the STEM fields?". Well, in America, Blacks are underrepresented in it, so it leaves alot to research. However, on a global scale, Americans are not doing so well in STEM compared to other nations. It isn't only Blacks. It is Americans across the board. Granted, in American, Blacks have done worse, and that needs to be confronted. However, the whole American school system needs to improve in terms of having mathematics and sciences. We need to look at why the schools aren't teaching the children what they should know. We should look at the parents too.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
A couple of threads = "unhealthy obsession"

Got it.
A couple is two. There are more than a couple.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
A couple is two. There are more than a couple.
O.K. a few then.

What are you afraid of discussing?

Every group and everything is fair game in America for a frank and honest discussion.

Perhaps you may learn a thing or two during these dialogues.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Has anyone considered that Blacks and Hispanics have less interest in STEM fields? I don't even understand the logic that some have shown in this thread that assumes that lower participation by Blacks and Hispanics in these fields is caused by White racism. White racism doesn't keep Asians from working in these fields at even higher per capita rates than Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies