Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Area math competition coming up, grades 3-12.

Area demographics are something like 80% white, 10% latino, 5% asian\indian, 5% black and there will be maybe 1000 kids there.

Competition demographics will be something like 50% white, 3% latino, 0.5% black and the 46.5% or so remaining will be asian\indian.

The top 10 placers at every grade level will be around 60-70% asian\indian.

It's not about race people. It's about CULTURE and in the case of the asians and indian kids it's about selective immigration criteria so most of those kids have parents that are math\science\engineering experts that push education.

The bottom line is that american kids of whatever race could be learning these skills...but instead they are logging thousands of hours playing xbox, practicing sports, watching TV, singing and so forth.

Tough luck guys. If I go to the gym and some guy has a lot better basketball game than me, I don't say he was *lucky* or that the ball goes in the hoop more for him because the hoop likes him better....he has clearly devoted time and hard work to develop those skills.

It's nothing short of insulting to do the same to those of us that have put our own time and effort into academics....and it's twice as bad when you imply that our successes are due to racism.

Bunch of excuse making crybabies running to momma because a bunch of nerds whip your butts. Sorry people seem to think they are the master race and that their shortcomings in areas they don't work at couldn't possibly be due to the effort put in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Some private schools aren't much better either.
Sadly, that's true.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Area demographics are something like 80% white, 10% latino, 5% asian\indian, 5% black and there will be maybe 1000 kids there.

Competition demographics will be something like 50% white, 3% latino, 0.5% black and the 46.5% or so remaining will be asian\indian.

It's not about race people. It's about CULTURE and in the case of the asians and indian kids it's about selective immigration criteria so most of those kids have parents that are math\science\engineering experts that push education.
That's exactly right. And if you want to know where the good K-12 schools are, public or private, look carefully at the demographics and choose schools that have a relatively high percentage of Asian/Indian students (compared to local/regional residential demographics). Make no mistake. They shop around, too.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The bottom line is that american kids of whatever race could be learning these skills...but instead they are logging thousands of hours playing xbox, practicing sports, watching TV, singing and so forth.

Tough luck guys. If I go to the gym and some guy has a lot better basketball game than me, I don't say he was *lucky* or that the ball goes in the hoop more for him because the hoop likes him better....he has clearly devoted time and hard work to develop those skills.

It's nothing short of insulting to do the same to those of us that have put our own time and effort into academics....and it's twice as bad when you imply that our successes are due to racism.

Bunch of excuse making crybabies running to momma because a bunch of nerds whip your butts. Sorry people seem to think they are the master race and that their shortcomings in areas they don't work at couldn't possibly be due to the effort put in.
Sorry but black kids have to deal with a history of slavery and Jim Crow that white kids and Asian kids don't have to deal with. They have it easier.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I did not come up w/ the term it was used to make a point. I don't wanna call them "wanna-be black" kids b/c not all black kids even act like that. I do find it funny that in that entire response all you saw was the "wiggers" word.
Not a big fan of racism.

You do know what the term "wig*ers" is short for, right?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sorry but black kids have to deal with a history of slavery and Jim Crow that white kids and Asian kids don't have to deal with. They have it easier.
The Japanese were rounded up and placed in internment camps during WWII.

You don't hear them falling back on excuses.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Japanese were rounded up and placed in internment camps during WWII.

You don't hear them falling back on excuses.
Since many of the Japanese were very loyal to the home land it was in the best interest of the USA to do what they did. Sorry tojo

Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Sorry Japanese kids have to deal with the internment of their race right here in America.
Jewish kids have to deal with the holocaust.
Irish kids have to deal with the potato famine.
German kids have to deal with the fallout of WWII and being associated with Hitler and Nazis.
I could go on here associating historical events with every race/nationality.

Slavery ended over 100 years ago. End the pity party for yourself and move forward.
Wallowing in history won't get you that engineering degree.

You don't hear Japanese Americans crying about being sent to camps in WWII which is much more recent history than the Civil War.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM

142 posts, read 205,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Has anyone considered that Blacks and Hispanics have less interest in STEM fields? I don't even understand the logic that some have shown in this thread that assumes that lower participation by Blacks and Hispanics in these fields is caused by White racism. White racism doesn't keep Asians from working in these fields at even higher per capita rates than Whites.

I agree with this. So if blacks aren't interested in math and science, perhaps we can somehow make more money in fields we are interested in? I mean, does anything else exist in life other than math and science?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM

142 posts, read 205,782 times
Quote:
I sincerely doubt white and Asian kids have it easier but they do not have the same experience with being thought of as inferior and the overall negativity which seems to follow black folks everywhere we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies