Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I do respect the principle but not the continuing publicity and fallout. I really don't give a hoot and I'm tired of hearing about it. Once a decision, a legal decision, is made after hearing all the blablabla I want everyone to shut up. That's all.
With thinking like that, there never would have been a United States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
With thinking like that, there never would have been a United States of America.
Sure there would have. That's the way our country runs now (actually in the beginning it was MIGHT over RIGHT you know..) We have a system that has evolved over the course of our history, we look at all sides of an issue (not just two sides, there are more than that) and make a decision. It can be appealed if more data becomes available. That's that. We aren't going to be at constant war about every little thing and refuse to accept any decisions we don't like and let different people live by different rules just to make everyone happy, we would destroy ourselves that way.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
"We must obey God rather than men." - St. Peter (Acts 5:29)

"An unjust law is no law at all." - St. Augustine

"How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust? A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. To put it in the terms of St. Thomas Aquinas: An unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law." - Martin Luther King, Jr., "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"
"Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open." - Frank Zappa

"The only way to support a revolution is to make your own." - Abbie Hoffman

Lots of quotes out there. Lots and lots of quotes.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
??? I'd like to see a health insurance administrator or someone who specifically works with these laws post here and clear things up. I don't like the mandates but really the difference between self insuring, differing state laws, etc., confuses matters. I know HL is supposed to comply with the federal mandate and that is all.
I keep reading that he's a politically- motivated hypocrite because he's complying with state laws that mandate coverage of the morning/week after plls. Maybe I missed the proof of that and would like to see it. I know that self-insured employers are exempt from many state laws that apply to insurance companies.

True, he is subject to Obamacare. He's doing what he's supposed to do by fighting in court. I guess when the time comes, he'll comply with the law, pay the fines, or cancel health insurance for thousands of employees.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:23 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
"Give unto God what is God's, but give unto Caesar what is Caesar's"

By the same logic the Right Wing is using, Polygamist sects should be allowed to perform plural marriages. The historic precedent, however, is very clear. When the public good conflicts with religious beliefs, the public good dominates. Hobby Lobby is free to pursue this path, however like Joseph Smith and Brigham Young they will quickly find they have no legal defense.
The only problem being that polygamy, like abortion, conflicts with natural law, divine law, and the public good. Try again.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Sure there would have. That's the way our country runs now (actually in the beginning it was MIGHT over RIGHT you know..) We have a system that has evolved over the course of our history, we look at all sides of an issue (not just two sides, there are more than that) and make a decision. It can be appealed if more data becomes available. That's that. We aren't going to be at constant war about every little thing and refuse to accept any decisions we don't like and let different people live by different rules just to make everyone happy, we would destroy ourselves that way.
I see. So the executive branch says "You don't need these Constitutional rights anymore," and the judges that same executive branch appoints the the court say "Yeah, those rights don't apply to you anymore," and we sound like a bunch of Elvis impersonators and say "Thank you very much."

Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I see. So the executive branch says "You don't need these Constitutional rights anymore," and the judges that same executive branch appoints the the court say "Yeah, those rights don't apply to you anymore," and we sound like a bunch of Elvis impersonators and say "Thank you very much."
Well, Elvis was KING so...

There is no constitutional rights regarding Rx medication.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I keep reading that he's a politically- motivated hypocrite because he's complying with state laws that mandate coverage of the morning/week after plls. Maybe I missed the proof of that and would like to see it. I know that self-insured employers are exempt from many state laws that apply to insurance companies.

True, he is subject to Obamacare. He's doing what he's supposed to do by fighting in court. I guess when the time comes, he'll comply with the law, pay the fines, or cancel health insurance for thousands of employees.
That's right and that is already happening - employees getting laid off or getting their hours cut at businesses due to Obamacare. HL might do something like that, there is no telling. Everyone is not going to just roll over and accept the mandates with no opposing action. Big business owners didn't get to be successful by being wimps. Maybe that's why so many on the other side are upset.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
There is no constitutional rights regarding Rx medication.
According to your wooden fundamentalist interpretation. I'm quite sure that you're only an extreme constitutional literalist when it comes to laws that you agree with. Bet you're pretty flexible on the 10th Amendment.

The Constitution is more than its mere words. The "free exercise of religion" has a specific context in this country, and the HHS mandate is radically inconsistent with it.

But free exercise of religion aside, there are no constitutional rights regarding lots of things. Take environmental issues, for example. Nothing in the Constitution requires that states do anything about environmental pollution. States are free to pass totally constitutional laws that actually harm the environment and endanger the health of American citizens.

And yet .... if you owned a business, one hopes you would refuse to comply with laws that required you to dump toxic chemicals into the local water supply thereby poisoning your neighbors. Am I correct? So don't use your selective constitutional literalism to dodge the real issue: the HHS mandate forces employers to collaborate directly in the killing of innocent human beings. Every employer has not only the right but also the duty to refuse this collaboration.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 01-07-2013 at 04:52 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That's right and that is already happening - employees getting laid off or getting their hours cut at businesses due to Obamacare. HL might do something like that, there is no telling. Everyone is not going to just roll over and accept the mandates with no opposing action. Big business owners didn't get to be successful by being wimps. Maybe that's why so many on the other side are upset.
They have a choice. They can obey the law or they can be fined. They are going to obey the laws just like the rest of us have to do. The law has certain mandates. They must follow the law. They can cry and moan all they want but if you want to do business in the United States, which is a privledge and not a right, you follow the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies