Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Why are gay couples wanting the legal recognition of marriage then?

They always claim that they pay more in taxes because the government considers them single.
They can claim what they want. Go to one of the free on line tax calculators and check for yourself. There is a Marriage "tax penalty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The government uses taxes to modify society. They give tax breaks to incentivize behavior they want and tax incraeses to try to limit behavior they don't want. This is why you get a tax break for buying an energy efficient car, and pay extra taxes on buying cigarettes.

It is good for society to have stable nuclear families, so the government provides tax benefits to married people.

It's no less "fair" for you to pay more taxes as a single person than it is for a smoker to pay high taxes on his cigarettes while a nonsmoker whose vice is chewing gum pays less taxes on his spearmint.
Correct.

Unfortunately, we have idiots in government deciding what behavior they think is good for us. And it's always easy to throw away other people's money.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You need to move. Most land in America has no lot size or house size restrictions.

Such restrictions are nearly universal outside of rural areas. I would have a hard time livig without a car in a rural area.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Such restrictions are nearly universal outside of rural areas. I would have a hard time livig without a car in a rural area.
Have you considered a condo or townhouse?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Default You can thank pandering to religious tradition

...for the fact that singles are discriminated against.

The so-called famility values that drives our politics has transported us to a place we will probably never get out of. We are a kid-whipped society (as Bill Maher would say), and that is a sub-text of a family-values whipped society.

Again I say, as stated in another post, the gov't needs to get out of our personal lives -and stop the social-engineering. Conservatives and "R's" are always carping about the nanny state, yet they are constantly promoting the "family values" that put the gov't in the business of administering the kind of social policy that results in discrimination against single people.

Logic would have tax policy recognize that two can live cheaper than one under one roof. There is really no such thing and never has been any real so-called marriage penalty.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Absolutely untrue.
Again, if you're interested, look at HUD homes.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
I don't think they should. I'm single by the way. Married couples with children provide potential future tax payers for the government, so it's very reasonable that those people get more back and have more deductions. I don't find anything wrong with that.
Sure it is reasonable if you really believe that tax policy could subvert one of the strongest drives that human beings have, and that is to procreate.

This type of reasoning is a fallacy. There might be some adverse impact on disposible income in families. And sure, some might plan their families in accordance with their household income. However, maybe then people would stop taking out mega mortages. or wasting their money on other foolish and self-indulgent houshold expenditures.

I do not believe there would be an adverse impact on either future tax revenues or the viability of the human race would be threatened if we had neutral tax policies that do not discriminate and punish people for either choosing to be single -or being unfortunate enough to not find a marriage partner.

Last edited by Perryview22; 01-08-2013 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Hasn't anyone heard?

Nowadays it's not getting screwed, it's "paying your fair share".

Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Have you considered a condo or townhouse?

While I wouldn't close that door entirely, I find condos excessively risky for a low-income person. Lenders won't finance individual condos in a development unless a majority of units are owner-occupied.

This means that any condo I can afford is vulnerable to having all the equity stripped in a distress sale.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The government uses taxes to modify society. They give tax breaks to incentivize behavior they want and tax incraeses to try to limit behavior they don't want. This is why you get a tax break for buying an energy efficient car, and pay extra taxes on buying cigarettes.

It is good for society to have stable nuclear families, so the government provides tax benefits to married people.

It's no less "fair" for you to pay more taxes as a single person than it is for a smoker to pay high taxes on his cigarettes while a nonsmoker whose vice is chewing gum pays less taxes on his spearmint.

What would you think is someone started a "marriage of convenience service" where they help people get married (and divorced when appropriate) for purely financial reasons? (i.e. to rake advantage of government favoritism)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies