Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,343,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Lawyers and especially lawyers who become politicians.

For one lawyers are trained to lie. Lying is a quality of a psychopath. A lawyer can know someone is guilty as hell but will defend them and try to get them off -- that's what lawyers do.

The problem with government is far too many lawyers are in it.

So, I guess the same could be said of Prosecutors and District Attorneys. They can know someone is innocent, but if they think there is a chance to convict, they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So, I guess the same could be said of Prosecutors and District Attorneys. They can know someone is innocent, but if they think there is a chance to convict, they will.
Yes but my understanding is that nothing a lawyer says in court, either defense or prosecution, is to be taken as evidence. A judge or jury is obligated to make their judgment as to guilt based on the law and evidence, not on what the lawyers say.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes but my understanding is that nothing a lawyer says in court, either defense or prosecution, is to be taken as evidence. A judge or jury is obligated to make their judgment as to guilt based on the law and evidence, not on what the lawyers say.
But a prosecutor makes the decision whether or not to file charges at all.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
I wish the term "psychopath" would disappear entirely and be replaced by "sociopath". Most people are simply unable to understand the distinction between psychopath and psychotic, and it's a HUGE one.

Even though it's been pointed out a few times now, still certain posters will remain unable to tell the difference between the two, so it would help greatly to use the word sociopath.

Here, let me try the grossest oversimplification possible, in an attempt to clear things up:

Psychotic = crazy but not usually violent = mental illness

Psychopath = evil = sociopath.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
As someone who has an aunt with borderline personality disorder, I assure you such disorders are not junk science.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I wish the term "psychopath" would disappear entirely and be replaced by "sociopath". Most people are simply unable to understand the distinction between psychopath and psychotic, and it's a HUGE one.

Even though it's been pointed out a few times now, still certain posters will remain unable to tell the difference between the two, so it would help greatly to use the word sociopath.

Here, let me try the grossest oversimplification possible, in an attempt to clear things up:

Psychotic = crazy but not usually violent = mental illness

Psychopath = evil = sociopath.
Also, it's defined in different ways depending on who is defining it. The DSM-IV doesn't actually have a classification for either sociopath or psychopath---the closest it comes is Antisocial Personality Disorder.

But in general a psychopath is seen as having a higher degree of abnormality then a sociopath. I doubt very many CEOs are psychopaths, but they may have a higher incidence of sociopathic traits.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So what were the kinds of jobs most likely to attract psychopaths, and those least likely?

Highest Rates of Psychopathy:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. Media (Television/Radio)
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police Officer
8. Clergy person
9. Chef
10. Civil Servant

Lowest Rates of Psychopathy:

1. Care Aide
2. Nurse
3. Therapist
4. Craftsperson
5. Beautician/Stylist
6. Charity Worker
7. Teacher
8. Creative Artist
9. Doctor
10. Accountant

The Jobs With The Most Psychopaths - Careers Articles

I guess they don't consider being a politician a job.........they should be at the top.
Darn, I would have thought IT Help Desk would be there somewhere..

Internet Helpdesk - YouTube

Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you don't want to believe that there no is such a thing as sociopaths or psychopaths, go right ahead.

Even if you don't want to give it a label, there are people with those clusters of personality traits, just as there are many people who are primarily responsible, empathetic, non-manipulative, honest most of the time. It's not all-or-none, but if you think of it as a continuum, some people will be more at one end and some at the other.

But let's just admit that it's not grounded in science; it's more akin to metaphysics. This doesn't mean it's wrong, it could be spot on. But let's not wrap it in the cloak of science.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Teachers have power over their students, nurses have power over their patients, therapists have a lot of power to manipulate people. That bottom list has some jobs that allow vulnerable people to be abused by those they trust. There are plenty of psychos that get off on dealing with the weakest population and they are in jobs that make them appear empathetic.

Yeah, I have personally encountered nurses like that--the Nurse Rachet types. This is why I think the list is bogus. It appears this writer probably lumped together a bunch of careers that were 'good' by his lights and rated them as low, Then took careers that he doesn't like for whatever reason (maybe they make more than he does), and rated them as high.

And btw, isn't a teacher usually a civil servant? How do they end up on both the high and low list?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Even agreeing that the list is accurate ( which I don't) what is being ignored would be the level of the supposed disorder.

Some of those traits could be mild and a great asset, some overwhelming causing disfunction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies