Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,664 times

Advertisements

The person who dials 911 is the first person of interest.

If you must call, don't say anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
The person who dials 911 is the first person of interest.

If you must call, don't say anything!
Found out about this the hard way. When I dial 911, I keep it short and give no further info. Not my name or anything not relative to the reason I called.

And I damn sure try not to use a cellphone if I can help it.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Found out about this the hard way. When I dial 911, I keep it short and give no further info. Not my name or anything not relative to the reason I called.

And I damn sure try not to use a cellphone if I can help it.
Thank you for clearing me from a joking charge.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM

I could make a fortune setting up anonymous phone booths - but it might be technically impossible nowadays.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
Thank you for clearing me from a joking charge.
It's funny. I never thought of it that way...how calling 911 makes you a person of interest. But when you think about it, its only common sense. Obviously the cops are gonna want to talk to the one who reported it. And your story better check out, or theyll think you know more than you're telling.

Cops know all the tricks.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's funny. I never thought of it that way...how calling 911 makes you a person of interest. But when you think about it, its only common sense. Obviously the cops are gonna want to talk to the one who reported it. And your story better check out, or theyll think you know more than you're telling.

Cops know all the tricks.
So do citizens!

Officer down! Officer down!

Cop **** His Pants! - YouTube

Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 AM

488 posts, read 554,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. Thousands of people who did not commit a crime have had their lives ruined or severely damaged.

I can't find the link, but recently a grandmother was charged as a sex offender after she made a copy from slides of old pictures of her naked grandbaby. She was innocent, but spent years trying to clear her name.

These things happen to innocent people quite often.
Sure, nothing is 100% effective. You have humans performing law enforcement duties so some are bound to make mistakes.

Let's look at this rationally. I don't have an exact number, so let's say 1000 people are the victims of law enforcement mistakes or corruption. That's 0.0003% of the population. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Is it rampant? Again, no. Chances are greatly in your favor that you will be just fine if you commit no crime and cooperate with law enforcement.

It's not naivete, it's experience from being in the profession and knowing a lot of police officers.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
Sure, nothing is 100% effective. You have humans performing law enforcement duties so some are bound to make mistakes.

Let's look at this rationally. I don't have an exact number, so let's say 1000 people are the victims of law enforcement mistakes or corruption. That's 0.0003% of the population. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Is it rampant? Again, no. Chances are greatly in your favor that you will be just fine if you commit no crime and cooperate with law enforcement.

It's not naivete, it's experience from being in the profession and knowing a lot of police officers.
Exactly right. Naivete would be to think that you are going to deflect suspicion by giving law enforcement a hard time.

The title of this thread should have been "If you're guilty, to protect yourself never talk to cops."

Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Scenerio.
You get stopped for whatever moving violation and get asked where you are coming from.
If you answer that you were only up the road at (whatever restaurant for dinner)are the cops eyes going to light up and ask you to step out of the car and take a sobriety test?
Even if you have not had a drop to drink and aren't concerned about passing, why should you want to be put through that and all the extra time it's going to take?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Exactly right. Naivete would be to think that you are going to deflect suspicion by giving law enforcement a hard time.

The title of this thread should have been "If you're guilty, to protect yourself never talk to cops."
Keep talking to cops and being nice. Maybe they will give you a gold star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies