Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM

37,068 posts, read 19,043,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
We have known about this one for some time and how much it is costing.

Recently my son was awarded a 5 day vacation in Hawaii for the way he has worked for his employer. Yep, he and his fiancé will be staying there before their honeymoon but they may just call it that. No mind, to that. The company says that the trip will cost in excess of $8,000 so although the employer will pay for part of it he gets to pay income tax on about 30% of the cost and the dealership will pay the rest. He figures it will cost him about $1200 more in taxes and that wouldn't even get Air Force One off the ground for the return trip from the Fiscal Cliff crap.

Isn't it something that the Obamas can take about 4 vacations per year with all the perks, like the mother-in-law attending all of them? When I think about how many family vacations we were able to afford in the 80s and 90s it makes me really feel bad that the Obama girls can go on those luxurious trips and my kids just didn't get to go anywhere.

Congratulations Taxpayer! You Just Paid Over $7 Million for Obama
It cost us over $100M to fly Bush back and forth to Crawford so he could cut brush. We could have hired a good landscaper and saved a helluva lot of money.

Artificial indignation doesn't become you, Roy.

You should have gone back to school and got a better job, or been more creative. We did fine with our family vacations on one income - 41 states, Mexico, and Canada in fifteen years. I'm not a rich man, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,220,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why is going home considered a "luxurious trip?". Maybe if he was from Nebraska you would have an easier time. I think what's tripping you up is the fact that you consider Hawaii "luxurious" and have never been there. You can get some great deals there if you looks, especially for those of us on the West Coast. It's actually doable for a 3 day weekend getaway.
Psssssstt!!!!!

The Obamas live in CHICAGO. That is where they own their home.

They don't live in Hawaii.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,051,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
The Obamas live in CHICAGO. That is where they own their home.
And I live in Denver. But Los Angeles is still home.

PS. A vacation in Chicago in December and January would cost just as much, but be far more stupid.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
He pays for the vacation - he cuts a check for what commercial airfare would be, the resort rental costs for his family, their food and activities, etc.
LOL too funny for words. That check does not begin to cover the costs for 747 to sit idle with the engines spooling on a tarmac. The nation is broke. Rather than cut spending in any meaningful way we opt to raise taxes. As if the meager increases in revenue even dent the what we spend.
Lead by example or you aint leading.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
What you seem to not be capable of understanding is he pays for his expenses, the security costs are what makes the trips expensive. I could easily bet that anytime Marine One (I see it all the time here) lands, its a million dollar mission. Using Airforce One is a million dollar mission, no matter who the president is. I'm not sure how advanced the President's security becomes during vacation but I would not be surprised if fighter jets are patrolling the area, secret service shutting down parts of wherever he's vacating, secret service patrolling the area, a iron dome type of system installed nearby, and etc. It takes a lot to protect a man people such as yourself don't like. Then where does all the security lay their heads? Def. not in his vacation home, so hotels, meals, etc must be paid for.

Do you want him to just have a few body guards?

Did a little research myself and here you go:
Air Force One Airfare: $179,750 per hour
Air Force One airfare: $179,750 per hour
You can look through all the slides if you want, but that particular slide states how much security GWB needed when traveling to London back in 2003. Imagine how much Obama needs.
HowStuffWorks "10 Most Expensive Presidential Perks"
"Motorcade of President Obama with Secret Service Suburbans.." imagine this type of motorcade no matter where you go, so if he's traveling the island this is what you see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14kc_81hms
And I'm sure there's a lot more aspects into why the trips come up to millions of dollars.
And imagine if he wasn't using Marine 1 to fly to Andrews then using af 1 to shuttle back and forth from vacation as if it were a Honda civic.
Because others have done it is a lame excuse. Either he is for eliminating waste or he isnt.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,091,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When I think about how many family vacations we were able to afford in the 80s and 90s it makes me really feel bad that the Obama girls can go on those luxurious trips and my kids just didn't get to go anywhere.

Whether you and your family got to take vacations is a result of YOUR choices. Your choice of profession, of a place to live, what you spent your money on and a hundred other things.

We're supposed to feel sorry for you and be upset that the President's family travels? Dude. It's a free country and no one stopped you from saving your pennies, borrowing some camping gear, getting a map at the AAA, and hitting the road. No one says "You can't leave" when you hit the border going out of Kansas.

Besides, Ronald Reagan was President in the 80's. If you weren't doing well enough to take a few vacations..... blame him.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM

490 posts, read 649,389 times
Who cares? If I were him I'd go on vacation more often just to find some sort of peace from the nut cases.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
Who cares? If I were him I'd go on vacation more often just to find some sort of peace from the nut cases.
Thank you. You have demonstrated why this nations spending is out of control. The elitists feel entitled. We owe them multi million dollar vacations right?? I wonder would they still go if they had to pay say half the cost? 1/4? 10%???

Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,220,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And I live in Denver. But Los Angeles is still home.

PS. A vacation in Chicago in December and January would cost just as much, but be far more stupid.
George W. Bush was born in Connecticutt, but went to Crawford during his presidency because that was where he lived. Crawford, Texas was home.

But it's OK with you, even if Obama wanted to vacation in Kenya.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM

45,137 posts, read 26,325,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
More appropriately;
Give the rest of the world some peace from our imperial nutcase obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies