Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should officers be tried as civilians when their are claims of malpractice or abuse?
Yes 17 89.47%
No 2 10.53%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

In light of the Ex-LAPD cop's manifesto and claims of widespread corruption, brutality, and cover-ups, do you think that police officers should be tried the same as civilians? Do you believe its time for independent "policing" of our police departments??

Since the Dorner manhunt has began, 3 civilians have been injured and could have been killed. It is likely that no charges or discipline will be brought against the officers. None of the 3 civilians matched the description of Dorner. None are even the same race.

How are we supposed to send a message to the police departments in this country if the are "above the law?"

Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Yes and their defense should be paid out the cop pension fund.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes and their defense should be paid out the cop pension fund.
I don't think thats a bad idea at all. The same thing happens to civilians when we have court cases. We have to provide an attorney if we make above a certain income.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 AM

Is there anybody out there who believes our current justice system is ok??

Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
In light of the Ex-LAPD cop's manifesto and claims of widespread corruption, brutality, and cover-ups, do you think that police officers should be tried the same as civilians? Do you believe its time for independent "policing" of our police departments??

Since the Dorner manhunt has began, 3 civilians have been injured and could have been killed. It is likely that no charges or discipline will be brought against the officers. None of the 3 civilians matched the description of Dorner. None are even the same race.

How are we supposed to send a message to the police departments in this country if the are "above the law?"

Nothing stops you from filing a civil law suit on anyone else, including the President of the USA.

The lawyers are already chomping at the bit to sue the police dept and the persons, in civil court, with a jury

Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nothing stops you from filing a civil law suit on anyone else, including the President of the USA.

The lawyers are already chomping at the bit to sue the police dept and the persons, in civil court, with a jury
Do you know how much that would cost? How long those currently take to win? The courts often just drag out those cases while your funds deplete. Also, do you know how hard it is currently to win a case against the cop??

I believe we should have a independent organization responsible for investigating cases and fighting cases where investigations turn up fraud and malpractice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want cops being brought to court over minor issues, but for major issues, life changing issues, they should.

Honesty needs to be something instilled back into our police system.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Do you know how much that would cost? How long those currently take to win? The courts often just drag out those cases while your funds deplete. Also, do you know how hard it is currently to win a case against the cop??

I believe we should have a independent organization responsible for investigating cases and fighting cases where investigations turn up fraud and malpractice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want cops being brought to court over minor issues, but for major issues, life changing issues, they should.

Honesty needs to be something instilled back into our police system.

I would think that the DA would be thinking about paying the plaintiff's legal costs, to be made whole. They are going to want to settle quickly on this one. Any excuses for these actions, are going to be laughed at by a jury.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:

There's assault and battery and then there's assault and battery on a police officer. If laws like that exist then yes, I agree that officers should be held to a higher standard when they're on trial. There have been two fairly recent cases locally where officers have committed extreme negligence and were both given free passes. In one case the officer shot and killed an innocent man. He's back on the job. I'd be in jail if I accidentally shot and killed an innocent man. Why isn't he? Why is he above the law?

SWAT Officer returns to work 3 months after shooting - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Quote:
"Jesus, was that my rifle?" was among Framingham SWAT team Officer Paul Duncan's first thoughts after he shot and killed an elderly man who was lying face-down in the hallway of his Fountain Street house.
Police investigation details the night Eurie Stamps Sr. died - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
There's assault and battery and then there's assault and battery on a police officer. If laws like that exist then yes, I agree that officers should be held to a higher standard when they're on trial. There have been two fairly recent cases locally where officers have committed extreme negligence and were both given free passes. In one case the officer shot and killed an innocent man. He's back on the job. I'd be in jail if I accidentally shot and killed an innocent man. Why isn't he? Why is he above the law?

SWAT Officer returns to work 3 months after shooting - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Police investigation details the night Eurie Stamps Sr. died - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News
You bring up a good point I didn't think about. They do have certain laws that grant them certain rights that other citizens don't have. Even if off duty, cops are a protected class (not saying wrong or right) in our society.

My question is this. If our current methods aren't working (there's still rampant corruption and malpractice) then how else do we get their attention?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM

7 posts, read 6,862 times
No way Jose! Officers are above the law, they never do anything wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies