Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times

Advertisements

The nation continues to stagger onward into the new year, hobbled by high unemployment, an uncertain economic future and a paralyzed government, held hostage by the tea party. One national poll found that the communist party is actually more popular than Congress - Commies got an 11% approval rating and Congress got 10%

A group representing a minority of Americans has so far blocked any attempts at functional government. The tea party has embraced Nancy's Reagan's "Just say 'no' campaign and broadened it to include saying 'no' to anything and everything that anyone else not tea party might be so foolish as to bring to the House floor.

The Southern states are the heartland of the tea party consituency with Texas in the lead and Florida a close second. The ideology of this "grass roots" movement is nothing new. From the earliest years of the American republic, white Southern conservatives who have lost elections and found themselves in the political minority have sought to extort concessions from national majorities by paralyzing or threatening to destroy the United States.

The most famous historical example of this is, of course, the Civil War (or "the War Between the States," as many Southerners call it). Southerners were even more angry over the election of Lincoln than they are now over the election of Obama. The South vented its spleen with the attack on Fort Sumner and the exit stage right to form the Confederacy.

It is hardly surprising that once again, having lost the November election, Southern Tea Party members began circulating petitions to secede from the Union with Texas having the greatest number of signatories.

Despite its claim of a return to the principles of the founding fathers, the tea party has little use for participatory democracy - especially when it loses a national election, but even when the party is asked to make the smallest compromise to allow the country to move forward. Better to go off the fiscal cliff, better for the US to default on its loans, better to deny disaster relief for the blue states of New York and New Jersey, better to shut down the US government than to give a single inch. The motto of the tea party is "My way or the highway," and they mean every word.

It's also important for the South to suppress voters who happen to have the wrong skin color and/or are members of the wrong socio-economic class. There is still barely concealed resentment over the Civil Rights movement of the '60's among many white Southerners. And they still remember the Reconstruction era with great bitterness.

It is time for the United States to give the South what it has wanted for more than 200 years. Let it remove itself from the rest of the country and form its own government. Texas was once a seperate nation and many there long for it to be seperate again. Let's start with Texas. Give x number of years for its transition to independence, draw the new borders and do what we should have done in 1861 had it not been more important to abolish slavery - let the South go.

The United States could then move forward while the tea party government of the nation of Texas moves back. With no hope of compromise, what else can we do?

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-06-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
I'd say only one thing: Goodbye.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Texas will not be allowed to leave the union, because frankly the economics of the state leaving. Texas has the second largest GDP of any state in the union.. The federal government depends too much on the finances of Texas to support its out of control spending. As much as I think Texas could do fine without the US, I don't think it will ever come to pass.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Tea Party people have every right to lobby politicians to do what they think is right. nothing illegal or immoral about it.

Or do you just want anyone that doesn't agree with you booted fron the country.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Texas will not be allowed to leave the union, because frankly the economics of the state leaving. Texas has the second largest GDP of any state in the union.. The federal government depends too much on the finances of Texas to support its out of control spending. As much as I think Texas could do fine without the US, I don't think it will ever come to pass.
I think the feds should leave Texas.
No military bases, no US accredited universities, visa requirements, no fly overs, no roads, etc.
Knock yourselves out.

In fact, the US government should pull all of its support for the state now, so that the Texans can see how it will feel not being propped up with the military.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...te-4150107.php
http://www.examiner.com/article/texa...-sequestration

Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,757,400 times
pretty amusing rant he had there.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No military bases, no US accredited universities, visa requirements, no fly overs, no roads, etc.
Knock yourselves out.

In fact, the US government should pull all of its support for the state now, so that the Texans can see how it will feel not being propped up with the military.

Military cuts to impact state - San Antonio Express-News
Texas faces uncertain effects from defense budget cuts under sequestration - Houston Department of Defense | Examiner.com
Be nice if the Feds would just leave.....

Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

768 posts, read 880,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Knock yourselves out.

Military cuts to impact state - San Antonio Express-News
Texas faces uncertain effects from defense budget cuts under sequestration - Houston Department of Defense | Examiner.com
Sounds a lot like the EU/ECB. Dont pass this treaty, dont accept our bailout conditions we'll defund you and take your jobs.

I think its called blackmail. Texas should call their bluff.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Industries in our state have their lips clamped so firmly to the government teet, it would take the entire UT football team to pull the state off that boobie.

We are extremely dependent on the feds, which is exactly why Rick Perry backed away from secession talk.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Sounds a lot like the EU/ECB. Dont pass this treaty, dont accept our bailout conditions we'll defund you and take your jobs.

I think its called blackmail. Texas should call their bluff.
Why? So we can go bankrupt?

Not only that, Perry might become president.

We'd be f'd with a capital f.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies