Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Still don't see where an automatic rifle would have helped which is still the argument, these stories are continuously brought up to try to make the lefts views extreme. Only a very small percentage of the population believes all guns should be banned.

On another note people that use revolvers for self defense are only making it harder on themselves, a real country boy like myself uses a pump action shotgun.
What automatic rifles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Out here in the Rocky Mountain West, a gal's best friend is her shotgun! Even a liberal has to defend herself - especially out here with all those conservative cattlemen and ranchers around. But an assault weapon is overkill in more ways than one. It seems fair enough to me that we keep our rifles and shotguns and get rid of the Bushmasters.
If you live in CO, out of curiosity, have you ever met anyone who culls coyotes? Because the #1 firearm for that in modern times is typically an AR... but please, get rid of Bushmaster. There are 20 other companies offering nicer options anyway.

Quote:
Why would she shoot him 5 times though?
Adrenaline is a powerful thing. She had kids to protect, hubby wasn't home, someone was breaking into her home and apparently made a point of finding where they were hiding, so it wasn't unwarranted. Adrenaline can make time feel like it's slowed down, and I remember reading somewhere that in a gun-related incident people tend to pull the trigger ~4x per second. Adrenaline can also mess with one's hearing through auditory exclusion (your ears/brain simply block out the loud sounds, etc.) "Fight or flight" is an amazing thing worth reading up on sometime.

.38 Special is a very weak round when compared to other offerings. Thanks for posting this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
WHY to some parse the events and circumstances of the crime?

That's the job of forensics. We have no idea what the timeline or crimeline was.

Kudos to this brave lady to have taken the task of protecting her family and self.

It's a damned shame people are trying to take guns away from responsible people. It will only result in criminals and government becoming more emboldened to carry out their own desires against an unarmed public.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:49 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Did the man threaten her and with what weapon? I read nothing about him not backing off when he saw the gun. Why would she shoot him 5 times though?
Because this is a hard lesson to be learned for criminals, if you enter my castle with intent to rob or harm me, you will die for your troubles. They are risking their life when they enter a home protected with a firearm. This will never change I assure you. Would you rather she be killed while waiting for the police? Or sniveling in the corner of her bedroom trying to dial 911? I would have done /will do the same thing and I doubt she derived some pleasure from it, she probably feels a great deal of remorse having to kill someone, you don't know us gun owners as well as you think you do, we do have feelings. Wow, I can't believe some peoples train of thought.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
WHY to some parse the events and circumstances of the crime?

That's the job of forensics. We have no idea what the timeline or crimeline was.

Kudos to this brave lady to have taken the task of protecting her family and self.

It's a damned shame people are trying to take guns away from responsible people. It will only result in criminals and government becoming more emboldened to carry out their own desires against an unarmed public.
I`ve yet to see one proposal for taking anyone`s guns away and why do you think our elected officials are out to get us?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Does this have anything to do with the gun debate? I am a gun owner, but I would not mind sensible laws to restrict assault weapons, background checks etc
I'm not a gun owner either, but I have been following this debate a lot lately, and as a result, have learned a lot.

The term, "assault weapon" is a vaguely defined term, which can be used to describe a lot of weapons. An AR-15, for example, is not a military weapon, but was adapted for the military as the M-16. The AR-15 is a very popoular target shooting rifle (it is not an "assault rifle" nor was it ever intended to be).

The pro gun-ban people would like to ban all guns, but they know they can't do it all at once. Incrimentalism is the way they will do it. Therefore, we should not give them an inch. There are certain weapons that are already illegal to own except by certain specifically licensed people.

I think current laws are sufficient, and I think it is extreme to require long waiting periods for licensing, and unreasonable to require extreme background checks. It should be sufficient to determine that a person has not been convicted for assault, or robery, or any violent crime, and perhaps if there is an arrest record (but no conviction), that further investigation might be warrated. There is a lot we could do without undermining the Second Amendment.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 01-06-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are we reading something different because I read nothing about a crowbar in the link. In fact, I am asking what weapon he used for him to be shot so many times
You people need to quit viewing the criminal as the victim here. It really doesn't matter how many shots were fired and if it was some what dark she may have had no idea if she even hit him, so she unloaded 5 shots with the hope that she disabled him. Is it so horrid to defend your life by killing the criminal who has the intent to harm. I cannot believe the train of thought of some people.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`ve yet to see one proposal for taking anyone`s guns away and why do you think our elected officials are out to get us?
Wow, you are correct (in your own mind).

So, what is the main objective here:

White House weighs broad gun-control agenda in wake of Newtown shootings - The Washington Post

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ls-gun-control

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Permit-Holders

Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Um, when you're a burglar you go around opening closets and checking in drawers for valuables. This is typically how you find stuff you want. It is highly unlikely he was searching for people to kill when he opened that closet door. Reports don't even indicate that he had a gun or knife. Was he going to crowbar any occupants to death when any one of them could easily have a much more deadlier or bigger weapon?

Anyone who is worried about intruders or having their home broken into should simply invest in better locks, larger strike plates, surveillance cameras, shatter resistant film on windows, alarms, or just a simple sticker you can put on your window that says, "alarm" on it. If someone breaks into your house while you're at work your alarm can even notify you through your phone. These are all affordable options. Leaving your home unprotected and then purchasing a gun is stupid. You can purchase a gun if you want, but the idea is to keep burglars out of your home, not fight them once they get in because you didn't lock the door.
I don't usually call people morons, but I am having second thought about this one. You can take all of the precautions you want, but when they fail and an intruder gets in, where will you turn, the police? It takes the police an average of 20 mins to arrive, what do you do in the mean time, things don't always go by the book.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
I`m not seeing any gun confiscation here.Show me where you see it in the Washington Post story.I don`t do Breitbart,I only deal in reality.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I'm sure the husband is happy his family is ok.

As for the criminal-he got what he deserved...he "searched and found them." He had something else on his mind other then robbing them......

She did the right thing and I'm just glad she and her children are ok. Someone breaks in my house? Yes you will get lead poisoning as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies