Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,276,395 times

Advertisements

The thread about "don't talk to the police" reminded me of the case of Larry Craig. Remember that Craig was busted for supposedly solicitng sex in a restroom. There was never any sex that took place, nor any words exchanged between Craig and the undercover sting cop. Essentially zero evidence, other than the cop's word.

You can hear the interview between Craig and the scuzzball cop here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xWjXedX7pLA

Notice at 4:10 where the cop says "I don't call media, I don't do any of that type of crap," implying that if he would just plead guilty and pay the fine, that it wouldn't get into the papers. That of course was a shading of the truth. The ploy worked. Craig stupidly pleaded guilty, and the rest is history.

It did get into the papers of course. The left immediately went into a frenzy. They were giddy. There were almost no lefties who said something like...wait a minute, is this fair? No evidence, no words exchanged, nothing. And he was tricked into signing a gulity plea? Nope, there was almost none of that sort of talk from the left.

The left likes to portray itself as the side that is against abusive police actions, but it appears that they readily jettison that principle when a Republican Senator is on the hook.

There was one lefty group that did raise questions: the ACLU, bless their hearts. They backed Craig, and went all the way to the MN Supreme Court to try to get his guilty plea withdrawn. So I have nothing but respect for the ACLU; they are consistent in their views. The vast bulk of the left, though reacted with glee. I have zero respect for them. In the Larry Craig case, they proved that they are fine with fascist-style police tactics, as long as it benefits them politically.

ACLU Says Secret Sting Operation Used to Arrest Senator Larry Craig Was Likely Unconstitutional | American Civil Liberties Union
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,439,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The thread about "don't talk to the police" reminded me of the case of Larry Craig. Remember that Craig was busted for supposedly solicitng sex in a restroom. There was never any sex that took place, nor any words exchanged between Craig and the undercover sting cop. Essentially zero evidence, other than the cop's word.

You can hear the interview between Craig and the scuzzball cop here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xWjXedX7pLA

Notice at 4:10 where the cop says "I don't call media, I don't do any of that type of crap," implying that if he would just plead guilty and pay the fine, that it wouldn't get into the papers. That of course was a shading of the truth. The ploy worked. Craig stupidly pleaded guilty, and the rest is history.

It did get into the papers of course. The left immediately went into a frenzy. They were giddy. There were almost no lefties who said something like...wait a minute, is this fair? No evidence, no words exchanged, nothing. And he was tricked into signing a gulity plea? Nope, there was almost none of that sort of talk from the left.

The left likes to portray itself as the side that is against abusive police actions, but it appears that they readily jettison that principle when a Republican Senator is on the hook.

There was one lefty group that did raise questions: the ACLU, bless their hearts. They backed Craig, and went all the way to the MN Supreme Court to try to get his guilty plea withdrawn. So I have nothing but respect for the ACLU; they are consistent in their views. The vast bulk of the left, though reacted with glee. I have zero respect for them. In the Larry Craig case, they proved that they are fine with fascist-style police tactics, as long as it benefits them politically.

ACLU Says Secret Sting Operation Used to Arrest Senator Larry Craig Was Likely Unconstitutional | American Civil Liberties Union
This is news to you? The left supports the fairness doctrine. The left supports hate speech laws. The left supports speech codes on campus. All while championing themselves as the true supporters of free speech.

There was an article on a feminist website that said the solution to gender discrimination was to execute men until their population was no more than 10% of the population. A mens' rights website published an article excoriating that. The SPLC then put this mens' website on their list of hate groups. It was okay with them for the women's group to advocate genocide of men, but was "hate" for men to complain about it.

It's voter suppression for Republicans to want people to show ID before voting. But Black Panthers can stand outside a polling station with billy clubs and that's fine.

This sort of behavior is and always has been systemic on the left. The Craig case is not some sort of revelation, it is simply one more incident in a long, long litany of hypocrisy.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 AM

769 posts, read 876,055 times
The left are essentially all technocrats. They're blind adherence to the 'scientific' dogma of the day renders them incapable of logical thought. It was the left who lead the misguided forays into eugenics in the 30s, and the left who pander to the climate cult today.

They say we need to listen to the police on matters of policing.
Well, guess what, the police want a police state.
True, it will reduce crime, but at the cost of freedom.

They say we need to listen to medical lobbyists on health issues.
Well, guess what, they want a state where smoking, drug taking, junk food are prohibited
True, health would improve, at the cost of freedom.

They say we must listen to the the transport academics on transport.
Well, guess what, they want a state where all transport is public and mass, state dictated routes.
True, congestion would be reduced, at the cost of freedom.

and so on for every other damn area of public life, until everyone eats the same damn stuff, uses the same damn model of bus, has to behave in exactly the same damn police code. Hmm, sounds a lot like totalitarian communism.

Freedom shouldnt be for sale. I like my imperfect, but essentially free life. I like being able to make mistakes and learn from them.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I like "In Defense of Public Restroom Gay Sex" even better.
Except that that would be inaccurate. No wonder you like it!

I remember when this case came up, I reflected that in 40+ years of using public restrooms, I had never encountered any gays having sex in a restroom. If they did, they were so quiet and discreet about it that I was not aware of it.

One time, at an Interstate rest stop in Oklahoma, a guy asked me if I wanted a blow job? I declined and went on my way. I didn't feel a need to call the police, didn't have an anyurism over it, and didn't feel scarred for life.

Is gay sex in restrooms really such a problem that Minneapolis (a liberal bastion, btw) needed to have an undercover cop sitting in a crapper, trying to entrap people into soliciting gay sex? As far as the bulk of the left is concerned, it appears that the answer is implicitly: yes.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,012,479 times
So much for "the left's support of police abuse." Last I looked, the ACLU was not exactly right of center.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,412,509 times
Quote:

Is gay sex in restrooms really such a problem that Minneapolis (a liberal bastion, btw) needed to have an undercover cop sitting in a crapper, trying to entrap people into soliciting gay sex? As far as the bulk of the left is concerned, it appears that the answer is implicitly: yes.

They were not such a "liberal bastion" in 2008 when the GOP had their convention there and protestors were rounded up and arrested for practicing their 1st Amendment rights, nor was it a "liberal bastion" when police raided protestors in the middle of the night, while they were sleeping, and arrested some for doing nothing.

I doubt this bothered you too much, you are only interested when one member of your own tribe gets busted.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,439,974 times
Quote:
They were not such a "liberal bastion" in 2008 when the GOP had their convention there and protestors were rounded up and arrested for practicing their 1st Amendment rights, nor was it a "liberal bastion" when police raided protestors in the middle of the night, while they were sleeping, and arrested some for doing nothing.

I doubt this bothered you too much, you are only interested when one member of your own tribe gets busted.
It's the same police state mentality that rounded up those protestors which is being prostested against in this thread by conservatives. Protesting that it is okay for homosexuals to solicit sex. You know, the homosexuals that conservatives supposedly hate. So your claim falls flat.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
So much for "the left's support of police abuse." Last I looked, the ACLU was not exactly right of center.

You didn't read before commenting, did you?

That was exactly what I said--I called them a 'lefty group.' But the point is that they stood virtually alone on the left in this case. The vast bulk of the left were busy laughing, sneery, and showing a remarkable facility for making homophobic jokes.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,906,291 times
Quote:
The thread about "don't talk to the police" reminded me of the case of Larry Craig. Remember that Craig was busted for supposedly solicitng sex in a restroom. There was never any sex that took place, nor any words exchanged between Craig and the undercover sting cop. Essentially zero evidence, other than the cop's word. blah, blah
Isn't this the reason why the right hates homosexuals cause I've read more than my share of fear of homosexual advances in public restrooms, and showers on this forum.

The left, myself included, loved the Craig arrest not because we love undercover stings or because we want the police to clamp down on "sex crimes" but because of the deliciousness of another freaking family values™ hypocrite being exposed for being the lying ____bag that they are.

I might add that if a Senator is so stupid not to know that everyday in every city there is a entry level reporter whose sole job is to go through the arrest logs to see if anyone of note got arrested the day before. The cop wasn't lying, he didn't have to call the press, the press calls the cops! And as anyone with an once brains knows, you get arrested, you assert your 5th Amendment rights and ask for a damned lawyer and then shut the hell up!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:

I don't know anything about that incident. Why don't you start a thread on it instead of using it to defect from the Larry Craig case. If it happened as you state ("protestors were rounded up and arrested for practicing their 1st Amendment rights"), then of course it would bother me. Why do you falsely assume that it wouldn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies