Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Children need calcium and they get their calcium from milk.

... from milk and other food sources.

Calcium Rich Foods - List of High Calcium Foods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
What would you have me do, HT? Tell the cows to strike and stop producing milk until prices come down? Frankly, if citizens would (as a whole) voice their outrage to companies and stop buying their products, prices would come down. Same thing true with gasoline. Stop buying gasoline and the profits for these companies will drop. But no one really cares unless it affects them.

All this fighting over taxes and social security. I worked more years than I care to mention and I paid into Social Security. Why? In part because I was paying for my parents and my friends' parents. Not just for me. Today, people don't want to pay into SS because it might not be there for them when they file for it. They shouldn't be relying on SS anyway. It was never designed to be the only source of income for the aged. People who are working should be saving a minimum of 10% of the their income. That's the minimum. If they did, they wouldn't need to worry about drawing SS. As citizens, we pay for things that don't necessarily affect us. I no longer have school age children but I still pay taxes for the local schools. Why? Because when my children were in school, someone else was paying for them.
But you shouldn't say "I don't care". As that attitude grows so will our problems.
I do what I can..don't shop at X, don't buy product y and don't vote for either Repub or Dem.

I do care and I do what I can as an individual. But as you say, unless more start doing it then nothing will change and it will get worse.

For all the hate I hear about Walmart their parking lots are always full on any given day.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Didn't President Obama promise to not raise taxes on the middle class?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Depends on what your definition of "raise" and "not" is...

Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Yes, he did but did people really believe that promise? Oh wait! I guess they did!

Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
it was a tax cut for 2 years (originally 1) that expired. i remember Grover Norquest(however you spell it) bragging about his people signed a pledge saying they would never allow taxes to go up.

You and your like should be pissed at your republican representatives for not keeping their promises, you know, since only congress could have passed this. All Obama can do is sign what lands on his desk.

Quote:
Yes and he didn't. He gave them a 2 year break on 2%..pizza money and now he's taking it back.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Depends on what your definition of "raise" and "not" is...
Is that like saying "it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"?

Words mean things.

A raise means that the object of the raise went "up" in some manner.

This shouldn't be too difficult to comprehend.

Barack Obama raised taxes on the middle class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
it was a tax cut for 2 years (originally 1) that expired. i remember Grover Norquest(however you spell it) bragging about his people signed a pledge saying they would never allow taxes to go up.

You and your like should be pissed at your republican representatives for not keeping their promises, you know, since only congress could have passed this. All Obama can do is sign what lands on his desk.
Actually it was not a tax cut but a tax holiday, temporary from the start.

It got through the House, the Senate and the President.
It wasn't an issue during the campaign.

No one said a word about it because they all were willing to let it expire.

That money was being replenished from the General Fund. We have already passed our debt limit and will default in 2 months if it's not raised.

Congress and the WH couldn't afford to renew it for one more year.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
By the same token, just because things aren't difficult in your area, don't think they aren't bad in others.

Not just gas prices going up but prices, in general. Milk, veggies, cereal, meat ... everything! 5-6 dollars for a gallon of milk? Please! That's utterly ridiculous.
Sorry to hear that.

I paid $2.19 for a gallon of milk on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies