Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Sigh...Historically the context of racial pride has meant different things for minorities and white people. Minorities were told that they were less worthy because of the color of their skin, treated unfairly due to the color of their skin, they should be ashamed of themselves because of the color of their skin...so their became a movement that basically said "hey I'm proud of who I am! I won't be ashamed!" Whereas historically white pride meant "my white skin makes me superior to you".

While I don't think that every white person who uses the phrase "white and proud" or "white pride" is racist or thinks white skin makes them superior, there's not really a way to erase history.

But there isn't anyone who can "not allow" brown pride, white pride, purple pride...they might not like it or feel some kind of way about it but they don't have the authority to "not allow" it
Yes, I don't see a big deal its like the racism chant from whites, what power does the black man have to execute racism? None really

These guys are just bitter this isn't the 50s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
Isn't it more like Spaniard pride? I just don't get the brown pride movement. They claim Spanish as their language, and celebrate Spanish culture. Also, most seem more pale skin (olive complected) than brown. Even the brown-skinned native looking people celebrate Spanish culture. Last time I checked, Spain was in Europe, so its basically more of the same White pride.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL @ "racial pride."

Pride in something you didn't even choose for yourself. As if being born a certain race is some big ass accomplishment.
When you have nothing else to be proud of anything helps.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
I am not "proud" of being white, but I'm glad as hell that I am!

Being born a white, American male is like hitting the genetic lottery!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
"Pride" is a sin (if one believes in such things), and a huge mistake otherwise. People tend to be "proud" not of the products of their own endeavor, but of such things as nationality, skin color, etc. These things are in no way under the control of those who feel this kind of "pride", and are therefore usuitable to the emotion of "pride"!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I am not "proud" of being white, but I'm glad as hell that I am!

Being born a white, American male is like hitting the genetic lottery!
Exactly. I've never understood the "Black Pride" crap. How can you be proud of something over which you have no control.

You are proud of your accomplishments. Or should be.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Exactly. I've never understood the "Black Pride" crap. How can you be proud of something over which you have no control.

You are proud of your accomplishments. Or should be.
On the flip side of that people can say "why should you be ashamed or perceived as inferior for something over which you have no control".

Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Yes, I don't see a big deal its like the racism chant from whites, what power does the black man have to execute racism? None really

These guys are just bitter this isn't the 50s
Uh, no. It's entirely irrelevant what power the black man has to execute racism. The whole "people not in power cannot be racist, so they are free to say and do whatever they want" thing is a morally bankrupt theory. Its only use is to excuse otherwise reprehensible behavior and absolve people from responsibility. I don't care what color your skin is. Racism is racism. You should treat others with civility. There is no such thing as a free pass to use racial slurs just because your own race is a minority.

Tattooing "Brown Power" across your chest in modern America is equivalent to tattooing "Don't take me seriously" across your forehead. Because it's impossible to take someone with a tattoo like that seriously as a rational respectful fellow citizen. Someone who tattoos their race across their chest is a kook. White, brown, red, black, or yellow doesn't matter.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
That guy is a dumbass.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Tattooing "Brown Power" across your chest in modern America is equivalent to tattooing "Don't take me seriously" across your forehead.
Your post actually made me lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies