Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My kids are in one of the best school districts in the country. They're taking Mandarin there. I'd say my **** is together.

I don't know what you're trying to say.
I wasn't talking about you specifically, and you know that. You were complaining about the plight of inner-city schools, just like everyone else with your mind set does.

And that's all people complain about. They never suggest solutions, or holding themselves and others accountable for the condition of their neighborhoods or learning environments, they just complain about it so everyone else "understands".

Well, it's 2013, I don't understand anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Is the NHL racist? They're all white! And mostly Canadian!
Nothing a bunch of xenophobic, white Canadians!

On a more serious note, I am always amused at how people disparage those who choose to pursue sports as their primary path, and equally confused by some who criticize members of their own community who actually succeed in doing so. If you have assessed your natural talents and have come to the conclusion that your physical talents exceed your academic talents by a large portion, then why wouldn't you focus your energy on improving those skills? In addition to your academics, sure. It is the same as a person who excels in math focusing on the path of engineering or science. I see no problem or racism. You pursue a good education to afford yourself an opportunity to live a better life, and still there is no guarantee that you will succeed. Same with sports. If anything, sports are dominated by statistics, and teams will go after the best players they can. It's performance-based, as all of the sports are. Talent and statistics (a reflection of talent) wins championships, not skin color. Why all the focus on what the color make-up of a teams is?

If we're keeping this discussion at the "street" level, with hockey, there are actual rules in many park courts that prevent you from rollerblading or basically using it for anything other than basketball or tennis. You either play in the street, a garage, or you take up field hockey. I played street hockey growing up. We made goals using either cones, parts from one of our Pipe Works connector sets, or left over parts from one of our dads' PVC plumbing projects. We used sticks and a tennis ball or plastic puck. Sometimes we used roller skates, sometimes not. We played in the street (obviously) and had to move the goals out of the way every time a car came by. Very little money involved in that except the sticks and skates, if used, so I don't see much of a cost difference there between the sports. Is that racist against "white boys from the burbs?" Of any of the four major sports, hockey is the sport with highest percentage of white players, but it's still the least popular of the four major sports in America. It's also a sport more prone to seeing European and Russian imports from places with typically colder environments whose populations skew toward a more white complexion. If there are "so many white guys in America who get all the breaks," why import foreign white guys to take their place? Do we need more hockey fields in the parks of America to help white people increase the popularity of a sport in which they have the largest concentration?

I can see how it would be easier in an urban environment to pick up basketball. Football is easier too, as you can just go to a field or a parking lot for a quick game of light-tackle football, all you need is a ball. Ice hockey is a different beast as you need a lot of money for the equipment, rink time and everything else. It's easier for poor white kids to just play baseball. But how many high schools have hockey rinks versus basketball courts and football/baseball fields? Is that racist against whites? It's a silly question, because it assumes that race has anything to do with which sport someone chooses, or that poor kids of one race have an advantage over poor kids of another race, or that competing and succeeding in sports is easy.

Such obsession over skin color. Skin color is fixed no matter the hew, culture and talent are either inborn or...cultivated. No, the NBA and NFL are not racist.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM

945 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Nothing a bunch of xenophobic, white Canadians!

On a more serious note, I am always amused at how people disparage those who choose to pursue sports as their primary path, and equally confused by some who criticize members of their own community who actually succeed in doing so. If you have assessed your natural talents and have come to the conclusion that your physical talents exceed your academic talents by a large portion, then why wouldn't you focus your energy on improving those skills? In addition to your academics, sure. It is the same as a person who excels in math focusing on the path of engineering or science. I see no problem or racism. You pursue a good education to afford yourself an opportunity to live a better life, and still there is no guarantee that you will succeed. Same with sports. If anything, sports are dominated by statistics, and teams will go after the best players they can. It's performance-based, as all of the sports are. Talent and statistics (a reflection of talent) wins championships, not skin color. Why all the focus on what the color make-up of a teams is?

If we're keeping this discussion at the "street" level, with hockey, there are actual rules in many park courts that prevent you from rollerblading or basically using it for anything other than basketball or tennis. You either play in the street, a garage, or you take up field hockey. I played street hockey growing up. We made goals using either cones, parts from one of our Pipe Works connector sets, or left over parts from one of our dads' PVC plumbing projects. We used sticks and a tennis ball or plastic puck. Sometimes we used roller skates, sometimes not. We played in the street (obviously) and had to move the goals out of the way every time a car came by. Very little money involved in that except the sticks and skates, if used, so I don't see much of a cost difference there between the sports. Is that racist against "white boys from the burbs?" Of any of the four major sports, hockey is the sport with highest percentage of white players, but it's still the least popular of the four major sports in America. It's also a sport more prone to seeing European and Russian imports from places with typically colder environments whose populations skew toward a more white complexion. If there are "so many white guys in America who get all the breaks," why import foreign white guys to take their place? Do we need more hockey fields in the parks of America to help white people increase the popularity of a sport in which they have the largest concentration?

I can see how it would be easier in an urban environment to pick up basketball. Football is easier too, as you can just go to a field or a parking lot for a quick game of light-tackle football, all you need is a ball. Ice hockey is a different beast as you need a lot of money for the equipment, rink time and everything else. It's easier for poor white kids to just play baseball. But how many high schools have hockey rinks versus basketball courts and football/baseball fields? Is that racist against whites? It's a silly question, because it assumes that race has anything to do with which sport someone chooses, or that poor kids of one race have an advantage over poor kids of another race, or that competing and succeeding in sports is easy.

Such obsession over skin color. Skin color is fixed no matter the hew, culture and talent are either inborn or...cultivated. No, the NBA and NFL are not racist.
I'm not going to waste my time trying to catch you up on statistics and how they are properly interpreted, but its not possible for their to be the number of blacks in NFL/NBA/NCAAFB and NCAABB (a job/profession) compared to the general population without this meeting the classical definition of racism (right or wrong).

Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I'm not going to waste my time trying to catch you up on statistics and how they are properly interpreted, but its not possible for their to be the number of blacks in NFL/NBA/NCAAFB and NCAABB (a job/profession) compared to the general population without this meeting the classical definition of racism (right or wrong).
Most of the team owners in the NBA are white?

List of NBA team owners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless you're making the point that white team owners are discriminating against non-black players?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
The NBA discriminates against short people. They hardly have any players under 6 feet tall. Unacceptable case of heightism...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM

662 posts, read 1,049,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
In that case you gotta consider the racism that keeps quarterbacks white and their owners white.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
African Americans aren't a race in themselves. They're a sub group of the negroid race.
I'm African and American, not African American, and half negroid.
My African side compels me to make that distinction, as way too often African negroids are forgotten when African Americans are referred to as a race.

It's a technicality, but it grates on me at times.
African Americans aren't really a sub group of the negroid race since 80% are not fully black.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Look at this way--the percentage of baseball players in the MLB that are American blacks is the lowest since the MLB was integrated. Only 8 percent of MLB players are American blacks--at one point this was 27 percent--even in 1959 you had a higher percentage. What happened? Well, for one baseball wasn't as popular with the increase in interest in basketball and football in the last 50 years--along with the fact that black culture became more urban in the post-World War II era, and you're more likely to find a basketball court than a baseball field in many big cities. Plus you have a whole international pool of Latin American players that have come to dominate the game in a lot of ways.

The demographics of sports frequently change--at one point people of Italian and Jewish and the Irish made up a high percentage of boxers in the US. Now you'd be hard-pressed to find a American Jewish boxer these days, but at one time there was a list of champions with this heritage. What happened? Well, once American Jews started moving out of the tough immigrant ghettos in places like the Lower East Side, the middle-class and upper class college-educated descendents of these immigrants didn't grow up fighting or look at boxing as a career choice.

Last edited by Deezus; 01-10-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM

139 posts, read 142,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The NBA discriminates against short people. They hardly have any players under 6 feet tall. Unacceptable case of heightism...

I love this one!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM

283 posts, read 508,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
If I ever see someone in person as racially sensitive as some of you City-Data folks, I think that it will take every ounce of strength in my being not to reach over and pop that someone in the mouth.

Jesus Christ, I'm sick of some of you people. Grow up or don't leave your home. You should not be allowed access to a computer.

Right on, bro.

I'm thinkin' the same thing: in view of his juvenile rants and taunting, as well as his mundane hyperbole, I'm thinkin' that Oster-Reich is around 16 and still lives at home with mommy & daddy.
Run along now, Osty, time to wash-up for dinner!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies