Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

If she had not had the gun, he most likely would have hurt the women or the children.
How are you coming to that conclusion? The guy went up to her home and knocked. She didn't answer the door thinking it was a solicitor. He then broke into the home and started stealing things.

That fits the pattern of an opportunistic burglar. They knock on a door to see if somebody is home. If somebody is, they pretend they went to the wrong door or pretend that they're lost and ask for directions, etc, and then leave. If they think nobody is home, they break in and rob the place.

It seems to me that if she didn't have a gun, he most likely would have fled the home as soon as he saw somebody was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
What do you anti-gunners think the Biden commission will do since the woman hit that guy 5 times with a .38 and didn't kill him. I don't think they will convince many people that revolvers are the only answer since they usually hold 6 rounds. I think that this little thing may force Obama into some attempt at executive action to get around the Constitution. I also think that many people will not like that happening.

To whoever it was talking about shooting that "innocent" man who broke into the house and had been arrested too many times for the same crime but was running around loose, I have to ask if you really meant that since many liberals do think like you said. We don't have a right to defend our homes from criminals is real liberal thinking.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzymuscle25 View Post
This story angers gun control nuts because she used a gun to save herself and her children... They'd be happy to hear that she was killed and her children had been shot gruesomely by the perp so they could push their agenda more.. Death and murder of children make the liberals happy! Not the mother defending her family and surviving using an "evil" gun. <sigh>
Tsk, tsk.

Liberals don't like to have their own tactics used against them.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I feel sorry for the guy who was shot and killed if only he was armed perhaps he'd be better able to have defended himself against the crazy lady hiding in the closet with her kids. Perhaps he should have brought some grenades along to show the lady who's boss. Is this what many of the conservatives or nra people want crazy people with guns shooting innocent people just taking a stroll through your home ? I know I don't want to walk past my closet door only to have someone come out and fill me full of holes.

It appears to me that you failed to get the story right since you don't seem to think it was the intruder who got shot. You talk like you think the woman was the intruder.

Also, you don't know much about the whole story. The man was not killed and is in the hospital now recovering. One of the bullets stopped in his lungs, somewhat below the neck and head, and one stopped in his liver. However, he managed to get to the ground floor and drive his vehicle down the street a way before he lost control.

You sound like you want to make things sound worse for the woman and better for the intruder. If someone breaks into my house with a crowbar he had handy in his car he can expect to be given two choices, get the hell out or be the recipient of all 14 bullets in my handgun. He won't have a lot of time to make the decision, either.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
How right you are muscles nothing better than a good killing right ? I know I start my day with an animal sacrifice to which I also save the blood so that while I'm driving around in my death machine and stop at a red light I shoot my gun in the air while drinking from a bloody skull. MMMMM ever drank a good mix of blood and yogurt ?
That was a typical leaner attempt at deflection but you failed to answer the post you were trying to deflect from.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,855 times
Quote:
I'm thinking candy land
Lol. Contributing more to our healthcare crisis.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Brave Mom Shoots Intruder 5 Times to Save Twins

From there they heard a man, later identified as Paul Slater, break into their home with a crowbar then start going through their things. It's hard to imagine just how terrified they had to be in there, trying not to make a sound, trying not to panic, especially as he made his way up into the attic.

But when he opened the door to where they were hiding, he got a surprise. He found himself "staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver," Sheriff Joe Chapman told the paper. The mother fired six bullets, hitting him in the face and neck five times.

I wonder if people see this as good or bad?

She has a gun - she is able to use it properly and defend herself - why would normal people not want this? I understand why government wants to take away guns.

Take out the heavy duty military grade rifles and shotguns from the argument. Are people generally OK with private citizens having guns in their possession?

I certainly don't have much sympathy for the guy, but let's look at the facts.

First, burglars are rarely out to hurt people, and the fact that he knocked shows that he would have not stuck around if he knew there was someone home. Second, it's generally a terrible idea to have a shootout in your own home. When there are kids and animals around they're very likely to get shot themselves, not to mention the shooter. In the case that the man DID have a gun, it would have been even worse. Third, if no one was home, there's a good chance that the man would have stolen the gun, which would have put another weapon on the black market. Fourth, while I hate crime and criminals, I simply don't think a citizen-imposed death penalty is a fair punishment for burglary. Emotionally, I might have my own feelings on the issue, but rationally, it would not have been right if he had died.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

First, burglars are rarely out to hurt people, and the fact that he knocked shows that he would have not stuck around if he knew there was someone home. Second, it's generally a terrible idea to have a shootout in your own home. When there are kids and animals around they're very likely to get shot themselves, not to mention the shooter. In the case that the man DID have a gun, it would have been even worse. Third, if no one was home, there's a good chance that the man would have stolen the gun, which would have put another weapon on the black market. Fourth, while I hate crime and criminals, I simply don't think a citizen-imposed death penalty is a fair punishment for burglary. Emotionally, I might have my own feelings on the issue, but rationally, it would not have been right if he had died.
I would personally love to see a shoot out between a hardcore republican resident and some an extremely liberal burglar. Interesting results I tell ya.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That was a typical leaner attempt at deflection but you failed to answer the post you were trying to deflect from.
Leaner...heh..heh... I'm funny heh leaner. GET OFF MY LAWN PUNK !

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It appears to me that you failed to get the story right since you don't seem to think it was the intruder who got shot. You talk like you think the woman was the intruder.

Also, you don't know much about the whole story. The man was not killed and is in the hospital now recovering. One of the bullets stopped in his lungs, somewhat below the neck and head, and one stopped in his liver. However, he managed to get to the ground floor and drive his vehicle down the street a way before he lost control.

You sound like you want to make things sound worse for the woman and better for the intruder. If someone breaks into my house with a crowbar he had handy in his car he can expect to be given two choices, get the hell out or be the recipient of all 14 bullets in my handgun. He won't have a lot of time to make the decision, either.
you sound like someone who knows nothing of sarcasm, and btw she should've shot his car personally I think we should arm vehicles as well to protect cars from getting scratched. I also think her little kid should've had a gun perhaps if the kid and his/her mom got separated they could contain the burglar and shot him dead right next to the lazy Susan. Whatever you say machoman roy please tell us more about how you would single handedly gun down an entire swat team with your absolute MANLINESS !!! I really don't think anyone on here believes your a real person if anything your as much a character as the onion is a real "News agency"

Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

If we can put signs on people indicating if they are a burglar or rapist, that may help. We have had instances where there would be a knock on the door, and then a big kick pushing the door in if someone even cracked the door open.

Mom was the responsible party. Those are her kids. She took the risk on her property.

You speak of a citizen imposed death penalty? There are plenty of people receiving "death penalties" by criminals all over the country. 26 at Sandy Hook. 13 at Fort Hood. What guns in the hands of citizens do is increase the risk for criminals doing bad stuff. If criminals know the victim does not have a gun, there's low risk and high reward. But with a gun, the criminal's risk increases - so they may think twice about doing a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies