Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You people are very lucky that you've never had a friend or family member walk into your house unexpectedly.
It has happened to me several times. And guess what? I've never shot one yet. Why? 'Cause I know gun safety!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
You people are very lucky that you've never had a friend or family member walk into your house unexpectedly.
Totally get what you're saying, but I am having a hard time imagining this scenario in my life.
Besides, responsible people don't just shoot at shadows.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Ignorance again......there is a huge difference between family/friends and someone kicing the door down...unless you jackmccullough have very weird frinds and family....

Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I understand your point, but I think you're missing the point of others. That point is:

This is my house!! I will protect anyone and everyone - anything and everything - within it. You are not just violating personal property, you are violating my sanctity, security and peace of mind. You are violating my sanctuary from the rest of the world. You are violating my right to NOT be victom in my own home. You are violating my the rights of my children to have one place they feel safe and secure at night. I will not run from my own home! Never! I will do everything I can to defend it - up to and includding ending the lives of any violaters - to save mine and my own.

It's not the theft. It's making sure I and my family never feel like victoms in our own home.
This is what the left will never understand....they would rather coddle the intruder....give them what you have....it's their's also.....remember....you did not make yourself...or your home...you had help....

Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Lefties want to throw out there that gun owners don't value the lives of others. In fact I think that most gun owners value the lives of others more! They will use whatever means necessary to protect their family. To me, the POS that attempts to burglarize someone's home has no regard or respect for that homeowner's life, his family's life, or his own! If he did have respect for his own life, he wouldn't be in the risky business of attempting to rob good hardworking individuals!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
It is mind boggling the mentality of some of these posters. Do they not read the news ? Do they live in a completely secure environment ? Do they really think the police will be there to save the day and possibly their lives ? I really really would like to think that the majority of people in todays society are good, but if someone busts into my house at 3:00am chances are they are not their to share a glass of scotch and a cigar with me. They have chosen from the moment they kick the door in to break the law, and if they have a gun, knife or other kind of weapon they now have decided to injure or kill someone further escalating the criminal offense, why else would they have a weapon. The question is, will they hesitate hurting you or anyone in your family ? Are you willing to dial 911 and wait ? Are you willing to risk your family or your life ? Personally I am going to use every opportunity I can to protect my family and myself from harm or death. If using a firearm is the legal why to do it, so be it. The criminal made the choice to risk his life the moment he kicks the door in.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It is mind boggling the mentality of some of these posters. Do they not read the news ? Do they live in a completely secure environment ? Do they really think the police will be there to save the day and possibly their lives ? I really really would like to think that the majority of people in todays society are good, but if someone busts into my house at 3:00am chances are they are not their to share a glass of scotch and a cigar with me. They have chosen from the moment they kick the door in to break the law, and if they have a gun, knife or other kind of weapon they now have decided to injure or kill someone further escalating the criminal offense, why else would they have a weapon. The question is, will they hesitate hurting you or anyone in your family ? Are you willing to dial 911 and wait ? Are you willing to risk your family or your life ? Personally I am going to use every opportunity I can to protect my family and myself from harm or death. If using a firearm is the legal why to do it, so be it. The criminal made the choice to risk his life the moment he kicks the door in.
Paranoid, much?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Paranoid, much?
Nope , just a realist. I'd rather be prepared than a victim, obviously some would rather be the victim.

Paranoid , I don't think so :
'We've lost respect for life': Detroit records deadliest year in decades - U.S. News

http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...epy-to-believe

Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Nope , just a realist. I'd rather be prepared than a victim, obviously some would rather be the victim.

Paranoid , I don't think so :
'We've lost respect for life': Detroit records deadliest year in decades - U.S. News

Oh come on now, don't you know being aware of your surroundings and having the capability of defending yourself if need be is in the mind of the left "being paranoid."

Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
From an ethical stand point, I would say "it depends"
  • Nothing in your home (except for the life of you and your family) is worth a life
  • Defense of life is not the same as execution

I could see that you could make an ethical argument if you believed your life was in jeopardy (or your family). Yet the chance of that ever happening is pretty small (not only Robbery, but robbery while your home)

The sad reality is that your gun purchase is FAR more likely to be used to hurt/kill a family member than used against a would be criminal. You don't buy a gun if you want to improve your mortality chances.

Guns at home more likely to be used stupidly than in self-defense | Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with defending your home against someone who has broken in or forced entry into your home, period. If you choose to break into someone's home you should automatically assume that you're taking your life into your own hands. In my opinion you've already proven to me that you view your life as less valuable than the items in my home and if you don't value your own life I'm certainly not going to value it either. I would hate to have to kill someone in my home in order to protect my family but I will without a second thought, I'll deal with the grief later while I enjoy another meal with all of my family members still alive.

If you personally want to sit down, make some coffee and have a little heart to heart about what their true intentions might have been that's your choice and I fully support that choice as long as my family members aren't in your house at the time.

Those of you who throw out all of these insane statements about using tasers, baseball bats, hiding and calling 911, hoping they don't find you, etc etc etc have clearly never been through a home invasion. While some burglars have no violent intentions, people do pretty crazy things when cornered and their freedom becomes at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies