Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So are you going to protect your family by having you guys start wearing helmets while in the car? I'm not. I'm also not going to keep a gun in my home. Please respect that decision just like I respect your decision to keep a gun.
If everyone thought like you did then there would be no debate. The thing is people are trying to impose their "decision" onto others based on emotion , not logic.
As to your helmet analogy, I do see more and more people wearing helmets while riding those damn dangerous pedal bikes ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If everyone thought like you did then there would be no debate. The thing is people are trying to impose their "decision" onto others based on emotion , not logic.
As to your helmet analogy, I do see more and more people wearing helmets while riding those damn dangerous pedal bikes ...
I consider myself a pragmatist. I do wear a helmet when I bike because I bike in Denver city traffic and on steep mountain trails at pretty high speeds. And if I lived in San Pedro Sula (the most dangerous city on Earth), I'd keep a firearm in my home.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I consider myself a pragmatist. I do wear a helmet when I bike because I bike in Denver city traffic and on steep mountain trails at pretty high speeds. And if I lived in San Pedro Sula (the most dangerous city on Earth), I'd keep a firearm in my home.
Understood, I live just outside of Detroit.. that should explain my stance on the gun subject.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Let me start by this phrase,
It is the disarmed that empower the criminal.
Statistics prove that communities that encourage gun ownership have less trouble with burgulry and home envasion,simply put , the criminal generally is not a stupid individual ,most likely a well educated liberal , that knows if he is caught he will be freed soon and really don't care about being caught any way ,they generally NEVER pay for their crimes. Liberal lawyers and judges see to that.
The victom is the looser time and timer again .
So in essence by not providing one's self, armed resistance, one is promoting crime .
You will be talking out the other side when your home is the one being violated, and your loved ones threttened.
And the cops don't show up to help at all, the deed is done.
I have an idea , those of you that do not believe in guns, post a sign at your door to that effect .

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I have a dog and cats.....I could not leave them behind with a criminal who could hurt or kill them. I could never forgive myself.....it would haunt me for the rest of my life if something bad happened to them because I ran away.
This is why we need silencers on guns that are used inside the house, you could easily damage your ears and your pets too...

Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
This is why we need silencers on guns that are used inside the house, you could easily damage your ears and your pets too...
I never thought of that.....but I have worried about damaging their hearing.

Whenever I have one of them in the car with me......I turn the radio down. Don't blast music in the house either.

But, when I am in the car alone...........

Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I never thought of that.....but I have worried about damaging their hearing.

Whenever I have one of them in the car with me......I turn the radio down. Don't blast music in the house either.

But, when I am in the car alone...........
Yep try firing a 12 gauge or even a .22 outside with no hearing protection, then imagine how loud that will be inside the house...

They are a really simple device that could be cheap, I'll never understand why people think their evil....

They only really work on a .22, they could ban em for those but Id like one on my .45 without paying a $200 tax on it....

Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Yep try firing a 12 gauge or even a .22 outside with no hearing protection, then imagine how loud that will be inside the house...

They are a really simple device that could be cheap, I'll never understand why people think their evil....

They only really work on a .22, they could ban em for those but Id like one on my .45 without paying a $200 tax on it....
I am not really that into guns.....so I don't know much about silencers.

I just have basic 38 revolvers with hollow points......don't have to worry about them jamming up when I need them.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That's fine, trust protecting you and your family to some smooth talk and a nice smile I choose a different route. That is what is great about America, we have choices, Choices that ones that are afraid or have zero knowledge of are trying to take away.
You sir are one of the smart ones you believe the statistics and choose not to buy a gun or have one in the house and you know your limits and beliefs , sadly many others don't, and think they can handle it and buy a gun to protect themselves and or their house and just add to the so called statistics.

I am not exactly sure which side your arguing. . .

In this life you have to make decisions, and lots of them. When you make a decision, do you make a decision based on probable outcomes? Do you get immunized? Do you drive a certain way to work? Do you wear a seatbelt? Do you wear a helmet? Do you fly or do you drive, and is one safer?

Buying a gun for protection, is somewhere north of 1 in a 1000 that you will ever be placed in a situation that needs it. Of course, if you live in a ghetto. . .and are posting this from your local library maybe things are different.

So if the gun is unlikely to help defend a home (because the average person goes through life with no call for defense). . .then it seems like a unwise investment both in dollars (expense) as well as risk.

If you like hunting, thats different. Your buying a gun for sport, and risks that come along with that. . .

but protection is a silly reason to buy a gun. Its like putting water bladders on your car in case you ever go into the drink. seriously. . .whats the chance.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I am not exactly sure which side your arguing. . .

In this life you have to make decisions, and lots of them. When you make a decision, do you make a decision based on probable outcomes? Do you get immunized? Do you drive a certain way to work? Do you wear a seatbelt? Do you wear a helmet? Do you fly or do you drive, and is one safer?

Buying a gun for protection, is somewhere north of 1 in a 1000 that you will ever be placed in a situation that needs it. Of course, if you live in a ghetto. . .and are posting this from your local library maybe things are different.

So if the gun is unlikely to help defend a home (because the average person goes through life with no call for defense). . .then it seems like a unwise investment both in dollars (expense) as well as risk.

If you like hunting, thats different. Your buying a gun for sport, and risks that come along with that. . .

but protection is a silly reason to buy a gun. Its like putting water bladders on your car in case you ever go into the drink. seriously. . .whats the chance.
That's why you have the right not to own one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies