Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Shooting someone to keep them from stealing property is wrong. There is no trinket or bauble that is worth killing someone over.

If a burglar is a valid threat to your safety, shooting them would be justified. Shooting someone because they tried to steal your big screen TV is immoral and repugnant behavior.

I don't know about you, but I have kids. If someone breaks into my house I am assuming the worst. I'd be scared to death to be honest. Too scared to talk it over with them. I'd shoot them before they had the chance to shoot me. I'm sure I would feel real bad about it afterwards as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I don't know about you, but I have kids. If someone breaks into my house I am assuming the worst. I'd be scared to death to be honest. Too scared to talk it over with them. I'd shoot them before they had the chance to shoot me. I'm sure I would feel real bad about it afterwards as well.
I don't know anyone would live through that experience without feeling very shook up, angry, sad, regretful, confused...just messed up about it.
It would be a very life-changing experience, I am sure.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with defending your home against someone who has broken in or forced entry into your home, period. If you choose to break into someone's home you should automatically assume that you're taking your life into your own hands. In my opinion you've already proven to me that you view your life as less valuable than the items in my home and if you don't value your own life I'm certainly not going to value it either. I would hate to have to kill someone in my home in order to protect my family but I will without a second thought, I'll deal with the grief later while I enjoy another meal with all of my family members still alive.

If you personally want to sit down, make some coffee and have a little heart to heart about what their true intentions might have been that's your choice and I fully support that choice as long as my family members aren't in your house at the time.

Those of you who throw out all of these insane statements about using tasers, baseball bats, hiding and calling 911, hoping they don't find you, etc etc etc have clearly never been through a home invasion. While some burglars have no violent intentions, people do pretty crazy things when cornered and their freedom becomes at risk.
I agree with this sentiment, and I always have. I will also defend myself, my family, and home with whatever is closest at hand... whether it's an AR15 with a STANDARD CAPACITY (30rd) magazine, a pistol, or a really heavy book, it doesn't matter.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know anyone would live through that experience without feeling very shook up, angry, sad, regretful, confused...just messed up about it.
It would be a very life-changing experience, I am sure.
Absolutely. The last thing I ever want to do is take another person's life - even if that person "deserves" it. That has to do horrible things to one's soul (unless you're a sociopath). I'm only going to shoot somebody as a last resort. I'm sure this lady in Georgia is really shook up about shooting that guy even though she didn't kill him.

The last thing I'm ever going to do if I have an intruder in my house if go hunting for him. Not only do I not want to shoot him, I also don't want to take the chance that I'll instigate a confrontation and then lose it.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,832 times
So......how many notches do you have on your gun Rambo. I cannot fathom folks like you that lay awake at night in a cold sweat......scared shiatless in case you hear an unfamiliar noise. And some of you, not all, have the balls to call yourselves men.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with defending your home against someone who has broken in or forced entry into your home, period. If you choose to break into someone's home you should automatically assume that you're taking your life into your own hands. In my opinion you've already proven to me that you view your life as less valuable than the items in my home and if you don't value your own life I'm certainly not going to value it either. I would hate to have to kill someone in my home in order to protect my family but I will without a second thought, I'll deal with the grief later while I enjoy another meal with all of my family members still alive.

If you personally want to sit down, make some coffee and have a little heart to heart about what their true intentions might have been that's your choice and I fully support that choice as long as my family members aren't in your house at the time.

Those of you who throw out all of these insane statements about using tasers, baseball bats, hiding and calling 911, hoping they don't find you, etc etc etc have clearly never been through a home invasion. While some burglars have no violent intentions, people do pretty crazy things when cornered and their freedom becomes at risk.
I have to agree with this. There have been a number of home invasions in our area. I wish I wasn't so damned afraid of guns because I'm compelled to buy one. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The intruder risks death when he chooses to enter someone's home uninvited. That's the way it is and IMO the way it should be. We have a right to defend ourselves against violence.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM

People don't break in for 60 inch tvs.
Can you imagine trying to run down the street with that?

The friends I know who have had break-ins...they go for the master bedroom/bathroom where the jewelry and the watch winders are.
Well, guess where I sleep at night? And sometimes sleep during the day?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People don't break in for 60 inch tvs.
Can you imagine trying to run down the street with that?

The friends I know who have had break-ins...they go for the master bedroom/bathroom where the jewelry and the watch winders are.
Well, guess where I sleep at night? And sometimes sleep during the day?
What happens if they don't find jewelry or other high end items?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What happens if they don't find jewelry or other high end items?
Small electronics, ipads, etc.
Stuff that's quickly pawned and hard to trace.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Shooting someone to keep them from stealing property is wrong. There is no trinket or bauble that is worth killing someone over.

If a burglar is a valid threat to your safety, shooting them would be justified. Shooting someone because they tried to steal your big screen TV is immoral and repugnant behavior.
99.9% of burglars do not want to confront the occupants of a home. They go out of their way to make sure nobody is home before they break in. The first thing they do is check the garage for cars (which is why you should NOT have windows on a garage door they can see through) and the second thing they do is knock or ring the bell. If you answer, they will simply ask for directions or say they got the wrong house and go away. That being said, I don't have any problem with anybody shooting them. People work hard for their big screen TV. Nobody has a right to come into your house and take it. Burglars are like rats. Exterminate them whenever you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies