Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times

Advertisements

i agree. unfortunately the justice system does not. the chances of me shooting a home invader and not going to jail here are slim the chances of me shooting a home invader and not being sued are zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
A handgun is really not the best thing for burglars. A loaded 12 gauge kept up high on a wall where adults only can reach it is the best thing for burglars. And you can aim it low at the burglar's knees or feet and BOOM. The burglar is not dead and the shot did not go through any walls and endanger anybody else. The burglar only lays there screaming in pain and agony. Take your time dialing 911. No hurry on that.

Nope.

Handgun is perfectly fine. 'Cuz one can carry (around these parts) in most places. Shotgun fungun stays at home unattended and is liable to get stolen. Handgun is on person....handgun not stolen.

Gonna whack a bad guy in the knees ..in the dark.....yeah, right.

Not to mention navigating a dark house with a long fungun.

9mm, .38 snub, .357 mag, .45, etc.....much more user friendly in above scenario.

I do likes me shotguns tho........

Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i agree. unfortunately the justice system does not. the chances of me shooting a home invader and not going to jail here are slim the chances of me shooting a home invader and not being sued are zero.
I know Cali can be messed up in some areas.....but.....REALLY?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
To me, a drunk driver is more dangerous than a teenager breaking into a house, but nobody would support shooting one because it's one of the more acceptable bad behaviors.
The distinction I see is that being the victim of a drunk driver is a completely random event. A drunk does not know who he/she may strike (but I agree that the danger of one being on the road is extremely high) while a teenager (or anyone else) breaking into a home has targeted the homeowner specifically, even though they may not know the victim personally. I cannot always or easily identify a drunk coming my way, and if I do, I can take measures to avoid them. Someone breaking into my house, if I am aware of it, cannot so easily be avoided - houses are very hard to move out of the way.

Shooting a drunk as a means to stop him is frowned upon. Shooting someone who has taken active and deliberate measures to enter into your domicile, not so much.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Shooting a drunk as a means to stop him is frowned upon. Shooting someone who has taken active and deliberate measures to enter into your domicile, not so much.
Of course that isn't what I meant. I was talking about paying for your crime and the appropriate punishment. Of course someone behind a wheel (drunk or sober) shouldn't be shot while driving! I was referring to our reaction to different crimes about to be committed.

A couple of months ago, I had dinner with a couple in their home, and one of the guests was drinking vodka for about 3 hours. After a while she began slurring her words and walking unsteadily. When she got ready to leave, I grabbed her keys and told her significant other to drive. She was offended (and told the hosts the next day I was a b**ch) and said she could drive just fine. Her wimpy boyfriend didn't argue, although he knew she was plastered. The hosts became annoyed and told me to mind my own business. So they were okay letting someone whose blood alcohol was probably over .15 drive a 3000 lb machine, but I bet they wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone trying to steal their widescreen TV. Why? Because they did not perceive her as a threat to their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies