Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
A regular abortion, not the morning after pill, takes minutes.
I'm not talking about the morning after pill, which can only be taken soon after a sexual encounter. I'm talking about a pill that induces contractions and causes a miscarriage. This is the simplest of all abortions.

And while a surgical abortion procedure may only be about 30 minutes during the process, it still takes (with all the monitoring, set up) several hours to complete. It's amazing how many women here are ignorant on abortion procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM

569 posts, read 671,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I'm not talking about the morning after pill, which can only be taken soon after a sexual encounter. I'm talking about a pill that induces contractions and causes a miscarriage. This is the simplest of all abortions.

And while a surgical abortion procedure may only be about 30 minutes during the process, it still takes (with all the monitoring, set up) several hours to complete. It's amazing how many women here are ignorant on abortion procedures.
I can tell you I have taken a few friends friends to have this procedure. The only thing that took a long time was the waiting room before it happened. It was maybe 15 minutes in the room for the procedure, maybe an hour of oversight once done, and then home. It is amazing how many men think they know what goes on in those little rooms.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I can tell you I have taken a few friends friends to have this procedure. The only thing that took a long time was the waiting room before it happened. It was maybe 15 minutes in the room for the procedure, maybe an hour of oversight once done, and then home. It is amazing how many men think they know what goes on in those little rooms.
So in other words you agree with me, an abortion procedure doesn't take ~15 minutes, it takes several hours to complete.

Btw, I have been in the waiting room of a PP waiting for a girl to finish. So I know as much as you.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
So in other words you agree with me, an abortion procedure doesn't take ~15 minutes, it takes several hours to complete.

Btw, I have been in the waiting room of a PP waiting for a girl to finish. So I know as much as you.
Nope, I don't agree with you. The procedure takes 15 with maybe an additional hour of recovery. I didn't count the time reading magazines before it started. It was less than 2 hours tops for the appt (15 minutes in the room with the nurse and doctor, PLUS at most 60 minutes in recovery), not 1/2 a day as mentioned. Who knows maybe we are saying the same thing. I just don't count the time sitting in the waiting room before it has begun as part of it.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Nope, I don't agree with you. The procedure takes 15 with maybe an additional hour of recovery. I didn't count the time reading magazines before it started. It was less than 2 hours tops for the appt (15 minutes in the room with the nurse and doctor, PLUS at most 60 minutes in recovery), not 1/2 a day as mentioned. Who knows maybe we are saying the same thing. I just don't count the time sitting in the waiting room before it has begun as part of it.
The 15 minutes is a dishonest estimate when we're talking about expenses for abortion. When I went (and you seem to have a much more precise memory of the time breakdowns ):

We spent about 1-2 hours in the waiting room
She went back, according to her there was setup for about hour (all of this costs money)
The procedure (say half an hour)
An additional 1-2 hours for monitoring and further tests.

All in all, took about half a day. See is, that 1-2 hours of setup and 1-2 hours of monitoring, additional tests still cost money and are part of the procedure. The doctors don't stop charging for their time during set up or monitoring.

I underwent an operation for being shot 4 times. Apparently (I was told after as I was unconscious) one bullet impacted my lower rib and was quickly removed. Does that mean the procedure just took a couple minutes? No. Setup time and monitoring is big part of the bill.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
The 15 minutes is a dishonest estimate when we're talking about expenses for abortion. When I went (and you seem to have a much more precise memory of the time breakdowns ):

We spent about 1-2 hours in the waiting room
She went back, according to her there was setup for about hour (all of this costs money)
The procedure (say half an hour)
An additional 1-2 hours for monitoring and further tests.

All in all, took about half a day. See is, that 1-2 hours of setup and 1-2 hours of monitoring, additional tests still cost money and are part of the procedure. The doctors don't stop charging for their time during set up or monitoring.

I underwent an operation for being shot 4 times. Apparently (I was told after as I was unconscious) one bullet impacted my lower rib and was quickly removed. Does that mean the procedure just took a couple minutes? No. Setup time and monitoring is big part of the bill.
You are right. I have a very precise memory of it happening. I went with someone in the not so distant past. Women ask detailed questions and perhaps in CA it is different from where you are. I have taken people to both PP as well a regular OBGYN office. The PP appt took much longer due to the wait. They also allowed more time for recovery. The OBGYN appt was many years ago but it was much less time. I think PP is the only place here now that does it. I was only disputing that the ENTIRE MEDICAL part of the procedure wasn't as long as you were suggesting.

I am not talking about the cost of anything. No idea what it is. The last person I went with had insurance and only paid the copay (I think hers is about $20). How much was your gf's abortion? If you are that concerned with the price I would guess that you have that number committed to memory.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about the cost of anything. No idea what it is. The last person I went with had insurance and only paid the copay (I think hers is about $20). How much was your gf's abortion? If you are that concerned with the price I would guess that you have that number committed to memory.
It's distant past but I remember ~700$. Anyways, I'm not disputing how much abortion costs the person getting an abortion but how much expenses it eats up for PP. Since the topic was PP's budget and I made the point time = money and some smart alec came by and said it only takes 15 minutes! Ignoring set up, monitoring, further tests, etc

Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I know that's how PP does business because they publish an annual report, and unlike you, I've looked at it.

"A service is a discrete clinical transaction, such as the administration of a Physical exam or STI test or the provision of a birth control method."

It describes different family medical services such as treatment of acne and diarrhea.

Again, if one woman goes to PP for a physical exam one week, birth control pills 2-weeks later, a pregnancy test 6-weeks later, an abortion 7-weeks later, and a post-op exam 3-days later, you can count her as 5 'people' if you want. You can also count each of those visits as an equal 'one service.'

If you donate $5 million to PP in my name and they do a few hundred thousand more abortions next year, ok by me.
That is the same way that my HMO or other medical facility counts their services.
It's industry standard.
Why are you implying that PP is the only organization who does this?
It's disingenuous at a minimum.

And to the ridiculous poster who wants to tell me how to spend my money - not your place to say anything about where I spend my money.

I do find it interesting that people think that they can tell me what to do with my discretionary income when it doesn't suit their "sensibilities".

Funny how that poster wants to support people outside of the US when there is so much need at home.
For example, abortion services.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-11-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM

998 posts, read 1,214,846 times
"God Bless Planned Parenthood"..."We Got To Spread The Word, Particularly Among Young Women" - Barack Obama the most Pro-infanticide president in American history.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
"God Bless Planned Parenthood"..."We Got To Spread The Word, Particularly Among Young Women" - Barack Obama the most Pro-infanticide president in American history.
Thanks for posting the video, I had missed it.

So your beef is with the 3% of the services they provide, abortion. What about the other 97% of services they provide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies