Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that you and those you support could be wrong on how to make our nation safer and that there are other solutions other than those you follow like sheep?

Not at all. Just look at the homicide rates of other developed nations vs our own, it's pathetic. Virtually all of them have stricter gun control laws.

Those no reason to have so many firearms circulating throughout the United States. None.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Shameful,Gifford is now a government prop to forward an agenda.
I have to agree.
She was a Liberal Democrat before she was attacked and she still is.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 AM

945 posts, read 967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Gifford herself is a 2nd amendment supporter and is promoting sensible gun regulation.
Gifford is a dope, and the word sensible doesn't belong in front of gun regulation. She is attacking the constitution and since she can't properly formulate a verbal sentence is using her condition to promote punishing 99.999% of responsible gun owners because she got shot by a crazed man.

I wish no one to be shot or victimized for their point of views, but she is partly to blame for engineering this society of scum and she thinks taking guns from the normal people would have stopped her getting shot.

Take your liberal astronaut husband, your cushy retirement and liberal constitutional attacking stances and go home.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Not at all. Just look at the homicide rates of other developed nations vs our own, it's pathetic. Virtually all of them have stricter gun control laws.

Those no reason to have so many firearms circulating throughout the United States. None.

Except you apparently don't know the stats you cite. Mexico has 15 guns per 100 people and we have 89 per 100 people. Which has the higher homicide rate? Mexico.

Switzerland has 40 per 100 and has less than 1% of the homicides of US or Mexico.

There is no correlation between guns in circulation and homicides by gun. You are just a moron with a false notion.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
So she should give up her First Amendment rights to keep you from feeling threatened about your Second Amendment rights? I see....
She did at one point take an oath to protect the constitution, which includes the 2nd amendment. Quit being a dope, she is absolutely using her victim status to stay relevant and "legislate" with her name getting attached to it (a la Brady Bill).

If she is so educated, and her husband is an astronaut and between the two of them they can't have enough common sense to see this is an isolated, anomaly of an event and unstoppable in the scheme of society (her unfortunate tragedy) then I can only surmise this is being done out of selfishness with a mix of naivete.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Gifford herself is a 2nd amendment supporter and is promoting sensible gun regulation.

Gabrielle Giffords, husband Mark Kelly launch anti-gun violence group - The Washington Post
Here is the site where people can sign up to support the effort....

https://secure.americansforresponsib...pread-the-word

Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 AM

143 posts, read 122,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Gifford is a dope, and the word sensible doesn't belong in front of gun regulation. She is attacking the constitution and since she can't properly formulate a verbal sentence is using her condition to promote punishing 99.999% of responsible gun owners because she got shot by a crazed man.

I wish no one to be shot or victimized for their point of views, but she is partly to blame for engineering this society of scum and she thinks taking guns from the normal people would have stopped her getting shot.

Take your liberal astronaut husband, your cushy retirement and liberal constitutional attacking stances and go home.

The highlighted sentence is exactly why this country is going straight down the tubes. The inability to even consider another viewpoint even if you find it wrong, shows how ideologically intractable we as a nation have become. I am an NRA member, a 2nd Amendment supporter, and own a whole safe of firearms (much to my wife's chagrin). It doesn't mean I can't consider some meaningful and realistic effort to keep guns out of some nutbar's hands, be it a more thorough background investigation, psychological evaluations, or something else. I don't subscribe to outright bans on any guns though.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
She did at one point take an oath to protect the constitution, which includes the 2nd amendment. Quit being a dope, she is absolutely using her victim status to stay relevant and "legislate" with her name getting attached to it (a la Brady Bill).

If she is so educated, and her husband is an astronaut and between the two of them they can't have enough common sense to see this is an isolated, anomaly of an event and unstoppable in the scheme of society (her unfortunate tragedy) then I can only surmise this is being done out of selfishness with a mix of naivete.
So she should be as tolerant of opposing viewpoints as you are.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
The highlighted sentence is exactly why this country is going straight down the tubes. The inability to even consider another viewpoint even if you find it wrong, shows how ideologically intractable we as a nation have become. I am an NRA member, a 2nd Amendment supporter, and own a whole safe of firearms (much to my wife's chagrin). It doesn't mean I can't consider some meaningful and realistic effort to keep guns out of some nutbar's hands, be it a more thorough background investigation, psychological evaluations, or something else. I don't subscribe to outright bans on any guns though.
Well said!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
So she should be as tolerant of opposing viewpoints as you are.
The 2nd amendment isn't an opposing view, it's not an opinion and it's not something that we "tolerate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies