Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should President Obama use all options at his disposal to preserve the full faith and credit of the
Yes, he should do everything in his power to protect our credit. 31 44.29%
No, he should allow the US to default if Congress doesn't raise the debt ceiling. 39 55.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
That is playing politics with the full faith and credit of the United States. If the debt ceiling is not raised and America defaults, it would have severe ramifications on our nation's finances for years to come. Even if all Republicans get voted out of Congress because of it, the damage would have already been done as our interest rates would skyrocket and servicing our debt would become more difficult. It would hurt all future Administrations (including possible Republican ones). Congressional Republicans are been really short sighted trying to play this dangerous game with our credit.
You dont seem to have a dam clue.. If the debt ceiling is not raised, america wont be in default. It just stops NEW DEBT (i.e. SPENDING) from taking place. The government still receives income, far more than enough to pay the current debt load..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
That is playing politics with the full faith and credit of the United States. If the debt ceiling is not raised and America defaults, it would have severe ramifications on our nation's finances for years to come. Even if all Republicans get voted out of Congress because of it, the damage would have already been done as our interest rates would skyrocket and servicing our debt would become more difficult. It would hurt all future Administrations (including possible Republican ones). Congressional Republicans are been really short sighted trying to play this dangerous game with our credit.
It is like negotiating with terrorists, and you should never do that. If you let them threaten the nation with default, and the nation gives in, then they will only come back with another threat and another demand. If they want to shoot the hostage, then let them shoot, and then deal with the consequences. Their behaviour is nothing short of criminal, and the WH should NOT play that game.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As the first poster who responded to you said, learn a little

The debt refers to debt already racked up by Congress, the debt ceiling would need raised DUE TO NEW SPENDING. The government brings in far more than enough to cover the current debt load..

Not to beleaguer the point but raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with new spending. It's about paying the bills already racked up by Congress. I don't understand how anyone can call themselves conservative and advocate refusing to pay your bills as some people are suggesting on here. Also anyone who says the US should default on its debt does not love this country.

Last edited by NewYorkGuy; 01-08-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Not to beleaguer the point but raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with new spending. It's about paying the bills already racked up by Congress. I don't understand how anyone can call themselves conservative and advocate refusing to pay your bills as some people are suggesting on here. Also anyone who says the US must default on its debt does not love this country.
Repeating the same old garbage over and over, doesnt make the garbage, diamonds.

Raising the debt ceiling is ONLY NEEDED if you are going to have NEW SPENDING.

Why is it you cant comprehend such basic math?

The federal government brings in about $200B a MONTH.. The debt load is about $30B a month. There is FAR MORE THAN ENOUGH money to pay the debt load. You ONLY need to raise the debt ceiling if you are going to SPEND MORE than the $170B extra income you have coming in, over and above the debt expenses.

Who the hell is discussing not paying the bills? Oh thats right, Obama, who doesnt seem to understand that $200B is higher than $30B, and left wing kook liberals, who can only repeat the garbage they are fed because they cant think for themself.

Tell me New York, why dont you comprehend that $30B is about 1/7th of $200B?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Not to beleaguer the point but raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with new spending. It's about paying the bills already racked up by Congress.
Yes, it is spending already authorized A good example is the $60 billion dollar Pork bill the GOP crammed down our throats this week. They authorized it, and later they will refuse to pay for it, and then they blame the mess on the white house.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You dont seem to have a dam clue.. If the debt ceiling is not raised, america wont be in default. It just stops NEW DEBT (i.e. SPENDING) from taking place. The government still receives income, far more than enough to pay the current debt load..
You need to do a Civics refresher. You are the one who don't have a 'dam' clue. The Government cannot spend beyond what Congress has authorized. The debt ceiling is an artificial limit imposed by Congress on the Government. So even with revenues coming in, The Government won't be able to use to it to service the debt as only Congress can authorize spending above this limit. We have already reached the limit hence Congress has to produce new legislation to raise the ceiling or the U.S. will default on its debts unless of course the President uses the 14th Amendment Option or the Platinum Coin to preserve the full faith and credit of the United States.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is like negotiating with terrorists, and you should never do that. If you let them threaten the nation with default, and the nation gives in, then they will only come back with another threat and another demand. If they want to shoot the hostage, then let them shoot, and then deal with the consequences. Their behaviour is nothing short of criminal, and the WH should NOT play that game.
I totally agree. The White House should not play that game with the Republicans. That is why I am advocating for the President to use all options available to him to preserve the full faith and credit of the United States. He already said he won't negotiate on the ceiling. That's a good way to start. Republicans have been doing this hostage taking thing for far too long. It's time to get serious with the terrorists.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it is spending already authorized A good example is the $60 billion dollar Pork bill the GOP crammed down our throats this week. They authorized it, and now they will refuse to pay it.
Who's refusing to pay for it? INCOME CONTINUES TO COME IN.. THEY CAN USE THAT TO PAY BILLS..
Quote:
You need to do a Civics refresher. You are the one who don't have a 'dam' clue. The Government cannot spend beyond what Congress has authorized. The debt ceiling is an artificial limit imposed by Congress on the Government. So even with revenues coming in, The Government won't be able to use to it to service the debt as only Congress can authorize spending above this limit. We have already reached the limit hence Congress has to produce new legislation to raise the ceiling or the U.S. will default on its debts unless of course the President uses the 14th Amendment Option or the Platinum Coin to preserve the full faith and credit of the United States.
No **** shirlock Holmes, the government can not spend beyond what Congress has authorized. Now you are disproving your own statement that its not spending, requiring the debt ceiling to be raised.

As for your now failed theory that the government wont be able to use the revenues to service the debt above this limit, again, NO ****.. That doesnt mean the income disappears..

If the government brings in $200B a month, and spends $20B a month on servicing the debt, what on gods earth would cause the spending to go over the limit, other then spending? Again, something you said, isnt the cause.

I can tell my wife that I want to buy a $50,000,000 estate, but saying that I want to spend does NOT create spending, only BORROWING THE MONEY to do so, would spend, and since my income wouldnt support such an expense, and my borrowing limit isnt that high, then I would not be in default if I dont spend the money on a new home.. But hey, you guys in mickey mouse land, who dont seem to understand that $200B is > $30B, can continue to embarass yourself.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. The White House should not play that game with the Republicans. That is why I am advocating for the President to use all options available to him to preserve the full faith and credit of the United States. He already said he won't negotiate on the ceiling. That's a good way to start. Republicans have been doing this hostage taking thing for far too long. It's time to get serious with the terrorists.
Not raising the debt ceiling would NOT affect the credit of the United States because there is far more than enough income to service the debt. Where the hell did you go to school, and what class did you learn that spending, doesnt create debt?

Its embarassing the stupid crap some of you guys believe..

Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
We are WAY BEYOND the point where we should have sad ENOUGH ALREADY. We wouldn't be defaulting if he'd balanced the budget. Don't blame this one on republicans refusing to get another charge card. Blame it on the spender. The answer to too much debt is NOT more debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies